Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
NFL Football

NFL 2021 week 5 picks, predictions and discussions.15887

Collector Darkseid_of_town private msg quote post Address this user
Cowboys vs rivals the Giants ! Yay Cowboys!

Post 26 IP   flag post
Collector michaelekrupp private msg quote post Address this user
😮 wow! Gruden is out as Raiders head coach! WTF!
Post 27 IP   flag post
Moderator Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
Good riddance.

New York Times article.
Post 28 IP   flag post
Collector* Towmater private msg quote post Address this user
One has to wonder and then ask why Gruden's emails were leaked and who gains from it. They came out of an investigation into the environment under Synder at Washington. The NFL fined Washington $10 million but did not issue a report on what it found. Gruden pays a $60 million fine for emails that he wrote when he wasn't an employee of the NFL. He had 6 years left on his contract at $10 million a year. No, that doesn't excuse his words and he'll need to reflect on what type of person he was when he wrote them, if he's still "that guy", and what he can do to change his views if he is "that guy". That being said, you have a league that continues to have players on its rosters that have battered women (captured on video), a star player that has numerous civil lawsuits and criminal action for alleged sexual assault, and has a past record in so many different areas that one almost isn't shocked when anything new is revealed.

It isn't like the fans are holding anyone responsible. They keep watching games while screaming "Entertain me". For that matter, the sports press really isn't holding the NFL's feet to the fire either.

Personally, I'm glad when I go to my son's soccer fall and spring games and see as many families there as I did when I was a child playing football. It makes me realize that the NFL's days are numbered as the number 1 watched sport in the USA. Maybe when that happens some sort of reflection and action plan will be implemented to change the Shield. I doubt it though.
Post 29 IP   flag post
I am not a person who is generally in favor of saying mean things about anyone. I am also not a person who is in favor of destroying someone because I don’t agree with the mean things they said. Whatever Gruden said or didn’t say was in private conversation and probably should’ve been left there. The mentality that anyone who doesn’t agree with you should be utterly destroyed is what disturbs me the most. There are millions of Christians and Jews who are the nicest people you would ever meet and are net positive contributors on planet Earth. However, they have a deeply held belief that homosexuality is morally wrong. If they say that out loud should they then be utterly destroyed? Unfortunately, for many people the answer is “absolutely”. The problem is, trying to police peoples thoughts when they don’t conform to a politically correct point of view is an extremely slippery slope. Anyone who thinks this kind of thing is acceptable and desirable should keep in mind that eventually they will come for you. And if you don’t think that they are more than happy to eat their own, I suggest taking a closer look at the situation.
Post 30 IP   flag post

@michaelekrupp Why did you bring religion into the discussion? Gruden's leaked emails don't have anything to do with it. Also, why did you leave the second largest religion out of your post? That's strange to do.
Post 31 IP   flag post
I wouldn’t speak of a faith I know nothing about. I am thoroughly conversant with the Judeo-Christian Bible and am confident that what I said regarding that is completely accurate. Gruden allegedly made negative comments about homosexuality, which is part of why he has been attacked. There is a prevailing mentality today that anyone who is not completely accepting and supportive of homosexuality, transgender people, etc. should be immediately silenced and put down. My point was that many people feel that way and attempting to erase anyone with that point of view from the culture is an extremely slippery slope. Sorry, I thought I had made my point extremely clear and have no desire to add to it or debate with you.
Post 32 IP   flag post
@michaelekrupp I don't seek a debate either. I expressed a question about an omission, and pointed out that Gruden's emails have NOTHING to do with any organized religion. From what has been reported he wasn't emailing to plan or to seek information about bible study, Sunday school, or information on any sacrament. Gruden wasn't just jammed up for his comments about a gay player. Painting it that way is wrong.
Post 33 IP   flag post
I've been trying to think of a good way to say this. I think I have it. When you are a public figure, your words and actions carry more weight and have a larger impact than an ordinary person's words or actions. People are finally holding these public figures accountable for their words and actions. Hate speech, off color jokes and inflammatory remarks by public figures empower ordinary people to act on those comments. No one lives in a vacuum. Everything you do or say will have an effect on someone else. For public figures, those effects are hundred fold, thousand fold, and in some cases, million fold. I've got no problem with holding public figures accountable for their words or actions.
Post 34 IP   flag post
What I think is scary is that a private conversation was made public. This wasn’t a back and forth on twitter or on a forum. It was a private conversation. Nope, it doesn’t excuse what was expressed and I’m not attempting to state that it does. The privacy I’ve known in my lifetime is dead.

I doubt anyone working for the NFL or any of the teams will put anything in writing that might come back to haunt them in the future. Noting the changes we have experienced as a society since the late 1960’s I would doubt anyone will put anything expect rule changes into a memo in the future.

After some reflection since this morning, it is my opinion Gruden’s emails were leaked to get the rest of the NFL’s personnel to follow verbatim whatever the NFL wants from this point forward. If you can take out the highest paid coach for not towing the party line then the NFL’s home office (if they leaked them) has demonstrated they are willing to take out anyone.
Post 35 IP   flag post
In my opinion, an email sent to a company's email system has no expectation or obligation to remain "private".
Post 36 IP   flag post
Could it have been leaked for some nefarious reason? Quite possibly, yes.
Post 37 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse_O
In my opinion, an email sent to a company's email system has no expectation or obligation to remain "private".

In my opinion, if Gruden's emails are fair game then one has to ask why all 600,000 emails weren't made public.

Since the fans use wifi provided by the teams/general public at stadiums then anything sent of received during games shouldn't have an expectation of privacy either. I write teams/general public as in the case of the Cowboys they own their stadium and other teams have publicly funded stadiums. (I don't really think this should happen but it is "public wifi" ).

Like I said, privacy as I have known it is dead.
Post 38 IP   flag post
@Jesse_O I agree with you to a point. Had Gruden come up to the podium and done as you stated they should have bounced him immediately. To go through years old emails smacks of someone with an agenda trying to make an example out of someone else to further their own cause. I think we’ve all said something we would like to have back at some point and it’s scary to think that there may be someone out there waiting to use that against us someday. My point was just that we are heading down a dark path as a society and I find that concerning.
Post 39 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelekrupp
My point was just that we are heading down a dark path as a society and I find that concerning.

I agree with you 100% here. The next step is someone with power over an individual asking, "Are you or have you ever been a _____________?" Things got very bad to get to that point and go even further off the rails until we get back on them.

(That can be any type of power. Like a boss over an employee or something else).
Post 40 IP   flag post
@Towmater yes, exactly! In my post earlier today I was just filling in that blank with “Judeo-Christian”, not trying to suggest that Gruden was a pious man or any such thing.
Post 41 IP   flag post
@michaelekrupp we (as a society) are definitely headed down a new path!! I see good points and worrisome points in it. But honestly, I have never assumed any kind of privacy existed on the net. If you put it out there, be ready to answer for it. I'm not saying that I've not made hurtful, stupid, careless or insensitive remarks. I'm saying that I have no expectations of privacy on the net. Dark things will almost always be brought to light nowadays. Societal standards are shifting. It's not going to be painless or easy. It may indeed get very dark.
Post 42 IP   flag post
@Jesse_O it’s certainly an interesting time to be alive.
Post 43 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

This kind of scares me. There may not be a legal obligation of privacy but there should be an expectation, just like a phone conversation between two people. And those who show that they are not trustworthy when it comes to privacy should be shunned in my opinion.
Post 44 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
Some of the best advice I ever heard from an H.R. consultant: Don't think of an email as being the same as putting something in writing. An email is far, far more permanent than writing. Things you put in writing can be destroyed or even denied. Things put in an email are undeniable and undestroyable.
Anything you put an an email you need to be comfortable defending publicly...for the rest of your life.
Post 45 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by EbayMafia
Quote:

This kind of scares me. There may not be a legal obligation of privacy but there should be an expectation, just like a phone conversation between two people. And those who show that they are not trustworthy when it comes to privacy should be shunned in my opinion.

I can understand the view of it not being private if all parties involved work for that company and have been advised of the privacy policy the company works under.

Where it goes off the rails for me is when 1 party isn't affiliated or employed by a company and then the exchange is made public. The individual who did not work for that company should be labeled as "party A" if the company chooses to make it public.

I'd like to know who leaked this and why.
Post 46 IP   flag post
602944 46 21
This topic is archived. Start new topic?