Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS GradedComics Silver AgeQuestions

CBCS Detached Cover Slab Notation15874

I'd like to say I still turned out alright, but that would be a lie. flanders private msg quote post Address this user
I believe CBCS notes on the front center of the label when a cover or centerfold is detached, since they don't have a qualified label like CGC. Is this correct or are there circumstances where it isn't notated? Also, what affect does a detached cover or centerfold have on the grade?

I'm following this X-Men #5 on Ebay and noticed that although the grader notes indicate the front cover is detached from the bottom staple, there is no notation on the label.

clickable text

This is a slab I own with the defect noted:

Post 1 IP   flag post
Where's his Bat-package? Byrdibyrd private msg quote post Address this user
Actually, I just received this FF #72 back from That Other Guy (I needed the matching label):

The reason that otherwise pretty nice-looking book is only a 4.5 is because the centerspread is fully detached. It has the blue label and it says nothing at all about the defect. I have had books back from them in the past that noted on the label the types of defects that you mentioned. In the case of my book, I suspect it's a way to get people to pay cashola for the grader notes. As for your CBCS book, I have no idea. In any case, it does appear that there's been a change in how these defects are being noted.
Post 2 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR dielinfinite private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by flanders
Also, what affect does a detached cover or centerfold have on the grade?

The answer is on CBCS Grading Guidelines page

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBCS Grading Scale

FINE 7.0 TO 5.5

This could have one major defect like a larger piece out of the cover, a long tear or a detached centerfold.

With the absence of many other defects, the cover can be detached from one staple, but cover cannot be completely detached from interior.

GOOD 3.0 TO 1.8

The cover and pages many be detached but not missing and is still in a "collectible" grade.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
@flanders My best guess is that "detached at one staple" is not going to be noted the way "detached" would be.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Not trying to be an ass since February 12, 2020. HulkSmash private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by EbayMafia
@flanders My best guess is that "detached at one staple" is not going to be noted the way "detached" would be.
I think this is correct.
Post 5 IP   flag post
The Fifth Golden Girl sborock private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by HulkSmash
Quote:
I think this is correct.

You are correct
Post 6 IP   flag post
Collector 50AE_DE private msg quote post Address this user
So when would a book receive a checkmark with the grade?
Post 7 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by 50AE_DE
So when would a book receive a checkmark with the grade?

What does a checkmark (asterisk online) by the grade mean?

In rare cases, a comic book will look much better than the given grade. In these rare cases, a Check Mark will be placed on the label by the numerical grade. The best way to understand why a specific comic book received a Check Mark designation is to refer to the graders' notes.

Example: a comic is graded 8.0. However, the covers are such that it looks like a 8.5 or a 9.0. CBCS denotes that eye appeal by using the Check Mark and asterisk symbols.
Post 8 IP   flag post
While I'm not happy to see one of my books come back with a checkmark, I really do appreciate that CBCS does that. It's so irksome when I get a book back from That Other Guy and I have no idea why it didn't grade as high as I thought it would because they left the grader notes blank and all I have to go on is a lower number than I was expecting.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC
In rare cases, a comic book will look much better than the given grade. In these rare cases, a Check Mark will be placed on the label by the numerical grade.

From reading comments on the forum I've realized the the Check Mark is kind of a personality test. Some, like myself, like the idea that the book presents better than the given grade and might actually pay a small premium for a check mark book. Others see it the opposite...an indication that the book has non-visible blemishes and is not as nice as it looks. Kind of a glass half full/half empty thing. One thing a checkmark does convey to a potential buyer is that a crack-press-re-slab is probably not going to get you the results you are hoping for.
Post 10 IP   flag post
Quote:
From reading comments on the forum I've realized the the Check Mark is kind of a personality test

True, but it can also indicate if the checkmarked book is for the PC or for sale. If a book were for my PC, I wouldn't mind at all getting something that presents nicely with good eye appeal but has hidden flaws that I can ignore. On a book I plan to sell, it might make me roll my eyes a bit because I'll get a little less $$$, but at the same time, potential buyers know I'm being honest about my stock, and that's what can tempt buyers to become regular customers. All in all, I really don't mind the checkmark, even though I would prefer it not to show up on my for-sale books.
Post 11 IP   flag post
Quote:
One thing a checkmark does convey to a potential buyer is that a crack-press-re-slab is probably not going to get you the results you are hoping for

Gotta add that I really like this aspect of the checkmark. Way better than dealing with That Other Guy and never knowing if press-and-re-slab would be a total waste of money.
Post 12 IP   flag post
PLOD theCapraAegagrus private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byrdibyrd
Gotta add that I really like this aspect of the checkmark. Way better than dealing with That Other Guy and never knowing if press-and-re-slab would be a total waste of money.

Or, consumers could learn how to grade and figure it out themselves...
Post 13 IP   flag post
" . " Davethebrave private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by theCapraAegagrus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byrdibyrd

Or, consumers could learn how to grade and figure it out themselves...

For a slabbed comic that doesn’t make sense. This would help in cases where the defect isn’t readily apparent.

Unless you are suggesting no need or value in slabbing and grading, which is an entirely different topic.

In my view, the additional info is helpful.
Post 14 IP   flag post
PLOD theCapraAegagrus private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davethebrave
For a slabbed comic that doesn’t make sense. This would help in cases where the defect isn’t readily apparent.

Unless you are suggesting no need or value in slabbing and grading, which is an entirely different topic.

In my view, the additional info is helpful.

How often do people think that press-able defects are not visible on the cover(s)? You would have an extremely hard time finding a comic book graded by "The Other Guy" that has; A. No grader notes below 9.0, and; B. An interior flaw resulting in the grade.
Post 15 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by sborock
Quote:
Originally Posted by HulkSmash
Quote:
I think this is correct.

You are correct

And if anyone is considering a purchase of a CBCS book that looks nicer than the given grade, they can always check the grader's notes to discover the cause... for free.
Post 16 IP   flag post
597877 16 16
This topic is archived. Start new topic?