Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector Comicbookzach private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byrdibyrd

Those are excellent!!!
thank you!
Post 3 IP   flag post
Miss Chanandler Bong jake private msg quote post Address this user
Nice! Any thread beginning with Frank and Peach has to be good!!
Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector no1lufcfan private msg quote post Address this user
@Comicbookzach congrats on those grades ๐Ÿ‘
Post 5 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jake
Nice! Any thread beginning with Frank and Peach has to be good!!
agreed!
Post 6 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by no1lufcfan
@Comicbookzach congrats on those grades ๐Ÿ‘
thanks!
Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector Ironwill75 private msg quote post Address this user
Very nice some cracking grades ๐Ÿ˜Ž
Post 8 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironwill75
Very nice some cracking grades ๐Ÿ˜Ž
thanks!
Post 9 IP   flag post
Collector 00slim private msg quote post Address this user
Not one, but TWO 9.9 grades. Wow. Impressive. But the Red Sonja sketch is probably my favorite of the lot. All very nice, though.
Post 10 IP   flag post
Collector Caffeine_Kid private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comicbookzach
Some new books that came back today!

If there are no flaws picked up by the grader (hence, not a single comment for notes) then why isn't the book a 10?

Just randomly decide this is a 9.9. Next one is a 10?
Post 11 IP   flag post
Collector 00slim private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caffeine_Kid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comicbookzach
Some new books that came back today!

If there are no flaws picked up by the grader (hence, not a single comment for notes) then why isn't the book a 10?

Just randomly decide this is a 9.9. Next one is a 10?

Quite a few 9.8s donโ€™t get notes. A lot of the time, the difference is the corners. The slightest wear gets you out of 9.9 & 10 territory.

But it is a bit nebulous when it comes to the difference between a 9.9 and a 10, thatโ€™s for sure.
Post 12 IP   flag post
Miss Chanandler Bong jake private msg quote post Address this user
The difference among 9.8, 9.9, 10.0 is production quality. Not all comics coming out of the printing press are perfect. We see it all the time, color variation, off center stapling, etc. Then the handling of the comic from the press to the LCS. I have heard the LCS say a couple times that the distributor gave us a whole box of bent comics and we are having issues sending it back. Heritage Auctions defines a 10.0 as โ€œthe best ever seen.โ€œ

Post 13 IP   flag post
I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user

Post 14 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 00slim
Quite a few 9.8s donโ€™t get notes. A lot of the time, the difference is the corners. The slightest wear gets you out of 9.9 & 10 territory.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jake
The difference among 9.8, 9.9, 10.0 is production quality. Not all comics coming out of the printing press are perfect. We see it all the time, color variation, off center stapling, etc. Then the handling of the comic from the press to the LCS.

You've both made my point exactly. What was found by the grader(s) that resulted in the assigned grade? Both of you are telling me why the comic isn't a 10. Why doesn't the grading company (whichever one it is. I'm not singling one out.) put the imperfection they found in the notes?

My understanding is a comic is reviewed independently by 3 graders. Each notes condition problems (or agrees with previous grader's notes) that result in their assessed grade. If there is a difference in the 3 assessments then they discuss it and come to a concensus. Correct me if I got part of this wrong.

So not one of the graders noted any flaws but somehow they all came to the final conclusion the book was not a 10. Like @00slim said, a lot of 9.8's have no notes.
Post 15 IP   flag post
Where's his Bat-package? Byrdibyrd private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caffeine_Kid
Why doesn't the grading company (whichever one it is. I'm not singling one out.) put the imperfection they found in the notes?

I've always wondered about that myself. I've heard people say it's because graders are too lazy to note down minor defects and just count them instead and move on. I question the cynicism, though, because this is so across the board. If the issue were grader apathy, we should still see notes coming from a few graders who still respect their positions. Is it company policy, then, to concentrate on noting the defects that can be easily confirmed by a given book's owner so that there aren't angry, drawn-out email arguments between grading companies and book owners who insist that they can't find the defects they see listed in the grader notes?
Post 16 IP   flag post
The Fifth Golden Girl sborock private msg quote post Address this user
Usually, with 9.9 or 10, the finalizer will bring it to another finalizer for a 2nd look to make sure we are happy giving out that kind of grade.
Post 17 IP   flag post
Where's his Bat-package? Byrdibyrd private msg quote post Address this user
This is something I've always been curious about. Thank you for the clarification!
Post 18 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by sborock
Usually, with 9.9 or 10, the finalizer will bring it to another finalizer for a 2nd look to make sure we are happy giving out that kind of grade.

Thank you for your response, Steve. I don't doubt that the books are thoughtfully examined and given much scrutiny. Not wanting to sound like a broken record, or that I doubt the standard you're upholding, but if 0 of 3 people enter a note that justifies why it isn't flawless and deserves 9.9 or 9.8 then you can't legitimately say it's not a 10. It just doesn't make sense. It becomes an arbitrary grade.

I will step off my soapbox now.
Post 19 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 00slim
Not one, but TWO 9.9 grades. Wow. Impressive. But the Red Sonja sketch is probably my favorite of the lot. All very nice, though.

I was so shocked when I saw the 9.9s! I don't press either! Can't go wrong with Frank Cho! Thanks!
Post 20 IP   flag post
Collector CatCovers private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

So it's the finalizers that plot against me...
Post 21 IP   flag post
Collector FuneralBill5150 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

So, taping a $20 to the bag won't help?

Now I gotta go crack my box before I mail it out.
Post 22 IP   flag post
598060 22 22
This topic is archived. Start new topic?