Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

Mislabeled Ultimate Fallout 415843

Collector Paulbg2000 private msg quote post Address this user
Just wondering what thoughts were on this one?

It appears by the listing that CGC mislabeled a facsimile UF4 as a 1st Print...could be fake, but if it isn't that's a pretty big mistake.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/389735345886832/
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector cesidio private msg quote post Address this user
My personal thoughts and they are mine; I would want to look at the case and see if it's cracked open. My best guess is someone pulled a switch.
Post 2 IP   flag post
would be nice to have a snugger fit. Sigur_Ros private msg quote post Address this user
"I'm shocked CGC messed up!", said no one.
Post 3 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
Huge demand for grading creates a huge backlog of work, which creates an immediate need to hire new people, which means they get thrown into the fire before they are ready, which results in a few f-ups here and there. Money wins, so quality suffers.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Where's his Bat-package? Byrdibyrd private msg quote post Address this user
More & more screw-ups lately, and it's all down to too much volume, too much crunch time, and too many inexperienced, new employees. Nobody's perfect, but serious cock-ups like this seem (to me) to be getting more common.
Post 5 IP   flag post
I'm waiting.... (tapping fingers).
Splotches is gettin old!
Nuffsaid111 private msg quote post Address this user
I'm shocked CGC messed up!
Post 6 IP   flag post
Collector bythegram private msg quote post Address this user
It bugs me that the seller knows of the error, states it clear as day but is also trying to charge that much. Unless of course they bought it off someone else and was scammed.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by bythegram
It bugs me that the seller knows of the error, states it clear as day but is also trying to charge that much

You are not alone. That it is "probably" a "one of a kind" item is no excuse for that level of patent greed, even if the seller is being honest about the book and its erroneous labelling. Sure, if someone else gets suckered into buying it, they're the fool, but still...
Post 8 IP   flag post
would be nice to have a snugger fit. Sigur_Ros private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuffsaid111
I'm shocked CGC messed up!

Lol, ok.. so one person said it.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Quote:
It bugs me that the seller knows of the error, states it clear as day but is also trying to charge that much. Unless of course they bought it off someone else and was scammed.

People have been buying the facsimile for hundreds of dollars on eBay, until enough of us made eBay aware of it and they started pulling some auctions (I can only vouch for that based on me saving the auctions to see how they end but them suddenly being unlisted). The thing they did was hide "facsimile" way down at the end of their description that was actually the story synopsis. That way they were covered from any returns (they assumed).

I'm not defending him but at least this guy is up front about what he considers an error.
He's just banking on the incorrect label being worth money, which we all know it's not.

Mostly because the print run on CGC mislabels seems to be pretty high
Post 10 IP   flag post
Collector 50AE_DE private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byrdibyrd
Quote:
It bugs me that the seller knows of the error, states it clear as day but is also trying to charge that much

You are not alone. That it is "probably" a "one of a kind" item is no excuse for that level of patent greed, even if the seller is being honest about the book and its erroneous labelling. Sure, if someone else gets suckered into buying it, they're the fool, but still...

Well if this book looks nearly identical to the actual book then the person who buys this book may wind up flipping it to the next unsuspecting buyer. I don't have an original copy but nothing on the covers say "facsimile" on it except in tiny print on the last page.
Post 11 IP   flag post
Collector* Towmater private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by 50AE_DE

Well if this book looks nearly identical to the actual book then the person who buys this book may wind up flipping it to the next unsuspecting buyer. I don't have an original copy but nothing on the covers say "facsimile" on it except in tiny print on the last page.

If the book is nearly identical, then the modern comic market might suddenly have the floor fall out of it. If a forgery is so good that grading companies get it wrong then all sorts of hilarity would start in the hobby.

On a side note, has anyone ever held a facsimile edition that they thought was real?
Post 12 IP   flag post
Have I told you about the time I dropped off 3,000 comics at SDCC? Scifinator private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by esaravo
Huge demand for grading creates a huge backlog of work, which creates an immediate need to hire new people, which means they get thrown into the fire before they are ready, which results in a few more f-ups than usual. Money wins, so quality suffers.

@ESaravo -

Edited by Scifinator
Post 13 IP   flag post
Quote:
nothing on the covers say "facsimile" on it except in tiny print on the last page.

True. I never remember that those facsimiles are unfairly lacking in markings.
Post 14 IP   flag post
Collector 50AE_DE private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Towmater
Quote:

If the book is nearly identical, then the modern comic market might suddenly have the floor fall out of it. If a forgery is so good that grading companies get it wrong then all sorts of hilarity would start in the hobby.

On a side note, has anyone ever held a facsimile edition that they thought was real?

Most of the ones I've seen are pretty obvious since they're facsimile of an older book so the cover price is usually the clue or page quality, but making facsimile copies of newer books is just going to be taken advantage of by scammers suckering uneducated buyers.
Post 15 IP   flag post
What I don't get is why couldn't they just issue another printing with the same cover art in a different colour scheme like they do so often when a book goes into multiple printings?
Post 16 IP   flag post
Collector jokioo private msg quote post Address this user
Incoming slough of "fingers-crossed" UF4 facsimile submitters.
Post 17 IP   flag post
PLOD theCapraAegagrus private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

IMO it needs to.
Post 18 IP   flag post
Collector Paulbg2000 private msg quote post Address this user
It would be so easy to just print the word "reprint" vertically next to the barcode...
Post 19 IP   flag post
You can't get good wood on the ball every time. HotKeyComics private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulbg2000
It would be so easy to just print the word "reprint" vertically next to the barcode...

I agree, and I think the buck stops with Marvel on this one. They have a responsibility as the major influencer on the comic market to be aware that they don't create a situation like this, whether by inaction or outright approval or however else this was allowed.

They aren't 100% responsible, but they have the lions share imo.
Post 20 IP   flag post
Collector classicaaron private msg quote post Address this user
doesnt surprise me at all. im sure it wasnt them thinking it was a first edition but rather just choosing the wrong label to print. their QC has been horrendous lately with all kinds of labels not even coming close to matching the book and labels upside down. so with those slipping through i highly doubt someone will catch a label missing a reprint indication when at least the title of the book is correct.
Post 21 IP   flag post
Collector etapi65 private msg quote post Address this user
A mis-label from either company isn't "one of a kind" and should be completely unrelated to the value of the comic. I don't get this at all. The value is the comics...not the slab.
Post 22 IP   flag post
Collector Buckets private msg quote post Address this user
One way to tell if the book is original or facsimile edition, is to look at the Marvel logo located on the upper left corner. Original copies have the letters in white and the facsimile has the letters in white with a red box around those letters.
Post 23 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by etapi65
A mis-label from either company isn't "one of a kind" and should be completely unrelated to the value of the comic.

Absolutely true, but there have been one or two instances where a major error from CGC resulted in a book selling for a stupid price because of its 'uniqueness.' As I recall, this was more like a really obviously incorrect label, not something that occurred due to an oversight. My guess is the owner of this erroneously labeled UF4 is trying to jump on that bandwagon.
Post 24 IP   flag post
Collector jokioo private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulbg2000

My fear is that Marvel sells huge numbers worth of this book, including to lots of people interested in potential resale, and will look to make replicas nearly identical for future modern key reprints.
Post 25 IP   flag post
Not trying to be an ass since February 12, 2020. HulkSmash private msg quote post Address this user
Marvel has no responsibility in the matter. The key word is facsimile; publishers have been producing facsimiles as regular practice. It’s unfortunate a grading company missed this, but Marvel made the facsimile designation with its own unique UPC. If it were a “True Believers” it would not have happened with the big banner at the top. Poor QC or shenanigans is all.
Post 26 IP   flag post
Collector* Towmater private msg quote post Address this user
I got a facsimile copy today in the mail. Ordered off eBay. My son has 2 copies of Ultimate Fallout 4 that are real in his collection. If I didn't know that I was holding a "facsimile" I'd have been fooled. It has one tell (the bar code size being narrower and the printing stretching to the right more on the cover) when compared to the real copies and it doesn't jump out at you. The paper is amazingly close, and the printing is just as nice. At a convention with loads of people around, and the right price I'd more than likely get taken.
Post 27 IP   flag post
Quote:
I got a facsimile copy today in the mail. Ordered off eBay. My son has 2 copies of Ultimate Fallout 4 that are real in his collection. If I didn't know that I was holding a "facsimile" I'd have been fooled. It has one tell (the bar code size being narrower and the printing stretching to the right more on the cover) when compared to the real copies and it doesn't jump out at you. The paper is amazingly close, and the printing is just as nice. At a convention with loads of people around, and the right price I'd more than likely get taken.

You're right about the bar code being slimmer and closer to the spine, but the main tell for me is the red box the word "Marvel" is in. Usually the main tell is the price, but there isn't one on this cover. Other than in the bar code box, I mean.
Other facsimiles have a big "$3.99" near the title instead of ".12 cents"

But you're right... parents of a child who wants the first printing could very easily be fooled as could many new collectors who aren't familiar with these Marvel reprints.

While I don't blame Marvel for these scams I certainly think they are irresponsible.
They know what the collector's market and business practices are like.

Post 28 IP   flag post
619307 28 28
This topic is archived. Start new topic?