Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

Is this termite residue?15822

The apple sauce and pudding were the best part... Bronte private msg quote post Address this user
Just noticed in my room with comics that a window sill has a bunch of "dust" on the sill. I dont go into tbe room that often so i dont know how long it took to accumulate that much "dust."

Do you think this is termite residue?

Post 1 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
It could also be ants. 🐜

Is there any moisture around the area or can you tell if it has been wet? You need to call pest control and have it treated.
Post 2 IP   flag post
The apple sauce and pudding were the best part... Bronte private msg quote post Address this user
Thank you for taking time to reply.

I don't notice any ants in house, but it's possible. As for moisture I don't notice any moisture around the window sill but given it's Florida it possible. There are no trees near this part of house so they aren't coming in through that. Of course there's no telling about the ground...

I asked a few neighbors who they use for pest control so we shall see who they recommend. I'm just kinda concerned given this is where I store most of my comics.
Post 3 IP   flag post
To answer your question, no, this is not where the comics go to die. MutantMania private msg quote post Address this user
Yeah that looks like termite stuff unfortunately. My old house started to get a lot of that stuff around. Check the wood around the window frame. Just push it with your finger and you will be able to feel the soft spots where the termites are or have been
Post 4 IP   flag post
Termites don't leave sawdust behind as they eat the wood. Ants don't eat the wood, so they push it out as they tunnel. It is most like some type of ant. Are there little black specks in with the sawdust?
Post 5 IP   flag post
To answer your question, no, this is not where the comics go to die. MutantMania private msg quote post Address this user
It's not sawdust it's actually the termite poop 💩
Post 6 IP   flag post
Collector Darkseid_of_town private msg quote post Address this user
um k, but termites do leave their droppings, which look like this.

I dont know for sure what caused those for you, but yes termites do leave behind their droppings
Post 7 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MutantMania
Yeah that looks like termite stuff unfortunately. My old house started to get a lot of that stuff around. Check the wood around the window frame. Just push it with your finger and you will be able to feel the soft spots where the termites are or have been

I poked at areas above the sill and it seems solid. No cave ins or soft spots
Post 8 IP   flag post
@DrWatson

No. No black specks that I could see.
Post 9 IP   flag post
I'm still thinking some kind of ant or ant like wood destroying organism. Let us know what pest control says.
Post 10 IP   flag post
Will do.

Might be a few days before I call someone though. My assumption is they need access to all areas of the house and I will need to clean the house somewhat since I'm a bit of a hoarder.....
Post 11 IP   flag post
I'm waiting.... (tapping fingers).
Splotches is gettin old!
Nuffsaid111 private msg quote post Address this user
Ants and Termites - hate em.
Only second to biting insects which I really really hate
Post 12 IP   flag post
Collector Rafel private msg quote post Address this user
That looks like termites.
Post 13 IP   flag post
They probably won't bother your books, but silverfish on the other hand...
Post 14 IP   flag post
Looking for love in all the wrong places. robo private msg quote post Address this user
Does it taste funky?
Post 15 IP   flag post
Please continue to ignore anything I post. southerncross private msg quote post Address this user
That's looks like dry wood termites.

Hard to tell

Not subterranean termites.

I worked in pest control for over 20 years back in Australia.
So not sure what species you have in Florida.

I do know back in Australia dry wood termites aren't a big problem as they eat the green part of the wood that hasn't completely dried.

I did come across west Indian dry wood termites once back in Australia, that's a accidentally introduced pest and the government takes care of it by getting contractors to tarp the structure so they can pump a insecticide gas in there.
Post 16 IP   flag post
Please continue to ignore anything I post. southerncross private msg quote post Address this user
Yeah I can see where the flas which is what they call it, excuse spelling is coming out of the hole in the timber sleeper.

I don't know what species as I say you have in Florida.

Bulk of the termites back in Australia that attack homes are subterranean.
Post 17 IP   flag post
Where's his Bat-package? Byrdibyrd private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronte
Do you think this is termite residue?

Dude... that really looks like termite droppings, and the colour/texture of those can vary depending upon what kind of wood they are consuming. If it is termites and they are near where you store your comics, you need to get on that Right Away. Those suckers WILL eat your books, and I can testify to that because I've had them get into a box of my comics before. They will absolutely destroy the newsprint paper older books are printed on, though I don't know if they have a taste for the newer, slick papers. However, if you use cardboard backing boards instead of bleached whiteboards, they'll eat the cardboard and then leave a crusty smear on the book, whether they eat it or not. Termites SUCK.
Post 18 IP   flag post
Collector cesidio private msg quote post Address this user
Hate to say this. 99% sure termites. Get a reputable exterminator on this Aeap. Have them check the entire domicile. Don't know if you are on a slab or crawl space. In a crawl space those buggers move and multiply quick.
Post 19 IP   flag post
Not 100% positive what a crawl space vs slab is, but it's a single story building no basement or space under floor. It's a concrete floor.
Post 20 IP   flag post
Collector cesidio private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Not 100% positive what a crawl space vs slab is, but it's a single story building no basement or space under floor. It's a concrete floor.

Then it's a slab. Still big potenial problems just not at the accelerated rate. Not telling you what to do, but if it were me I'd get a professional on that as early as possible
Post 21 IP   flag post
Understood. I plan to try and get an inspection this coming week.
Post 22 IP   flag post
Quote:
I plan to try and get an inspection this coming week.

That's the best plan. Also, as unsavoury as this sounds, you may want to leave the termite dirt where it is. I don't know the regulations where you are, but where I am, you have to show proof that releasing toxic poisons to kill pests is absolutely necessary. That pile of dirt will do the trick.
Post 23 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrWatson
silverfish on the other hand...

The OTHER scourge of comics, and way more likely to damage your books. Fortunately, tenting for termites should take out silverfish, too.
Post 24 IP   flag post
@Byrdibyrd

I was leaving the pile of crap so pest control can see what I'm referring to.

From my understanding everything will die if we end up tenting. I don't see a silverfish issue whenever I do look through my old comics. However, my more valuable books are already slabbed. I don't see how a bug can navigate through a slab....
Post 25 IP   flag post
Quote:
I was leaving the pile of crap so pest control can see what I'm referring to.

Exactly what I did when I needed tenting. The inspector really appreciated it, too. It meant he didn't have to go crawling under the house or up a ladder to inspect the eaves and such. Made his job a lot easier.
Quote:
I don't see how a bug can navigate through a slab

Oh yeah. Another reason why I'm getting so many of my old & pricey books graded. Those little monsters are NOT getting inside slabs.
Post 26 IP   flag post
618792 26 26
This topic is archived. Start new topic?