Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS GradedComics Restoration and ConservationGrading Help NeededQuestions

Coverless comics1581

Collector Odins_Raven private msg quote post Address this user
There are more than a few cover-less key issues floating around out there.

So I'm curious, what is the highest grade a cover-less comic can receive?

In addition, if and when a detached cover is found and submitted to be graded with the "married" interior, what kinds of grade would or could it receive?
Post 1 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR dielinfinite private msg quote post Address this user
I believe a coverless comic, assuming no other issues, could recieve up to a 0.5. I'm not sure about reaubmitting with a married cover. Perhaps it's treated as a detached cover?

Post 2 IP   flag post
Looking at CBCS' Grading Guidelines:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBCSGuidelines
POOR 0.5

It has major defects to the point that there is almost no collector value.

Copies in this grade typically will have pages and/or the front cover or back cover may be missing.
They may have severe strains or heavy cover abrasions to the point where cover inks are gone.
Heavy defacing with paints, varnishes, glues, oil, indelible markers or dyes, etc.
The inside pages can have extreme brittleness.

INCOMPLETE 0.3 TO 0.1

(Covers / Coverless / Single Wraps or Pages)

These designations are only used for the purpose of authentication. Numerous collectors and comic fans will purchase coverless comics to either read or to obtain a filler copy of a book for their collection.

Books that are coverless, but are otherwise complete, will receive a grade of 0.3 from CBCS as will covers missing their interiors.

Coverless copies that have incomplete interiors, wraps or single pages will receive a grade of 0.1 from CBCS as will just front covers or just back covers.

Copies in this designation typically will in most cases be beyond collectability to the majority of the hobby.
Rare key comics and incomplete pages i.e. centerfolds are considered to be valuable by the collecting community for either restoration purposes or for individuals who just wish to own a piece of comic history.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by dielinfinite
I believe a coverless comic, assuming no other issues, could recieve up to a 0.5. I'm not sure about reaubmitting with a married cover. Perhaps it's treated as a detached cover?

Cool books! That is why I am so curious. I have seen covers for key issues by themselves sell for pretty astonishing prices sometimes. My thought is that there are collectors out there who have cover-less copies who are looking for a cover to complete the issue. Such as myself.
Post 4 IP   flag post
@Odins_Raven Thanks! I'm always on the lookout for coverless keys since they can often be had for a relative steal. I have a coverless X-Men 2, an incomplete FF 2, and an Avengers 2 missing the back back cover (maybe I'll get the #1s one day lol) that may see a slab in the future. I used to have a coverless/incomplete Avengers 4 but I was able to upgrade to a copy where the cover is merely detached.

I'm always on the lookout for covers but what I find rarely matches what I need lol

Post 5 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
You will sometimes see books at auctions that have covers, but are incomplete because of a clipped Marvel Stamp or a missing coupon. If they are keys, they can still sell for crazy prices. If two collectors have coverless copies, the winning bidder will be able to make a complete book. However, it will get a restored labeled for a married interior. Still, the value of the restored book would far exceed the value of the two incomplete books.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by esaravo
You will sometimes see books at auctions that have covers, but are incomplete because of a clipped Marvel Stamp or a missing coupon. If they are keys, they can still sell for crazy prices. If two collectors have coverless copies, the winning bidder will be able to make a complete book. However, it will get a restored labeled for a married interior. Still, the value of the restored book would far exceed the value of the two incomplete books.

That is a good point and one that I think makes a lot of sense. I am contemplating purchasing a rare cover-less, cameo appearance of a over-looked golden age character. The book is available for about $300. The next issue and first full appearance is ultra-rare and extremely valuable, so I am just trying to gauge whether or not to pull the trigger now or wait until I find a copy that has a cover :/
Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector jrs private msg quote post Address this user
Hey everyone, new to the forum here and thought I would chime in.

I recall having seen a Marvel Tales #1 with a married cover receive a 4 or 5 by CGC with a green label. It sold on ebay a few months ago for around $50.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Collector steveinthecity private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrs
Hey everyone, new to the forum here and thought I would chime in.

I recall having seen a Marvel Tales #1 with a married cover receive a 4 or 5 by CGC with a green label. It sold on ebay a few months ago for around $50.
Wasn't MT #1 a Squarebound cover? Was this professionally done? I'm not sure I've ever seen a complete Squarebound cover married before.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Yes, exactly. That's why I was reluctant to buy it; I couldn't imagine how anyone could accomplish it properly. Incidentally, I just searched eBay and couldn't find the issue, but I distinctly recall it since it's a favorite of mine.
Post 10 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
IMO dont buy it unless you are happy if you never find a cover, as theres a better chance you wont.

I've had my eye on a FC #4 and Cap#1 for a while but havent pulled the trigger yet. I know i will NEVER find a cover for them, and if I got really lucky I *might come across a rag incomplete cover on ebay someday for ridiculous money that i couldnt possibly justify spending for it.

That said, the boys at cbcs currently have one of my coverless books in the pile waiting. 1941 GL #1 with a nice cover copy stapled on so it displays well. I figure I'll wait till GL hits the big screen again, put it up for sale and use the loot towards a covered copy when the prices level back out
Post 11 IP   flag post
Forgot to mention; i domt think you would get a restored grade for the marriage (unless you ripped out the staples and attached it).

I've married centerfolds in the past, and the books have come back as good as 6.0 ("fine" allows for marriage) with a note on the label that calls out "married" and "detached"
Post 12 IP   flag post
Collector Darkga private msg quote post Address this user
If I may ask a question about a key comic. If I have a coverless comic and a complete comic with a coupon clipped out, which would be better?

A) Leave them both as is and grade them separately
B) Take the cover from the clipped comic and marry to the coverless; then submit them both
C) Take the coupon page from the coverless comic and marry it to the clipped comic; then submit them both
Post 13 IP   flag post
Great question 🤔

- Does the coupon affect the story? If not, leave as-is for sure!

- Where is the coupon in the book? Marrying a centerfold is easy, no need to rip the staples out.

- you could potentially marry the page with careful removal and replacement of the staples. It'll prob be noted, but not restored (dont clean the staples either).

- if you marry the cover youll have to potentially move the staples 😬

- I'd rather have a "married Xnd wrap" book than a "married cover staples moved" book
Post 14 IP   flag post
- Coupon does not affect the story.
- I have to look at the book again, but possibly the centerfold.

According to CBCS's grading page, a coupon clipped is an automatic FAIR (1.0 or 1.5) and a coverless is an automatic 0.3. I think if I marry the centerfold and leave it loose that is a GOOD (1.8 to 3.0) at best. However, you said you had one come back as a 6.0. Was that through CBCS?
Post 15 IP   flag post
I had a 6.0 from CGC and a 4.5 from cbcs (supes #11 loose married centerfold)

Additionally, Im 99pct sure that its only an automatic fair if the clip affects the story. I havent verified this with an actual book grading though.
Post 16 IP   flag post
Interesting that your bring up CGC... I was thinking of going the CGC Qualified (green label) route on it. I'm trying to decided between that and a blue CBCS label, depending on how they treat a clipped coupon that does not affect story.

On your Superman #11 did you submit the same book to both companies for those grades?
Post 17 IP   flag post
Sorry had the grade wrong. Imo green label will kill the value.

Post 18 IP   flag post
Well at least I've learned that married does not give a restored label. I'm going to research what's the highest I can get with a non-story affecting coupon clip, and then make my decision. Thanks!
Post 19 IP   flag post
Collector steveinthecity private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrewbeer
Forgot to mention; i domt think you would get a restored grade for the marriage (unless you ripped out the staples and attached it).

I've married centerfolds in the past, and the books have come back as good as 6.0 ("fine" allows for marriage) with a note on the label that calls out "married" and "detached"
Restored, though or Qualified?
Post 20 IP   flag post
The Marvel Tales 1 that I saw received a green label from CGC and simply said "Married Cover" on the label.
Post 21 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
I totally feel like I got shafted when they graded this one, then. It's NOT coverless, darn it. It's missing one page ad that does not effect story. This was graded too harsh. I'm out $175 on this $40 book now.

Thanks a lot.

Post 22 IP   flag post
@kaptainmyke Is it missing a full page or is it just a clipped coupon?
Post 23 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
Full page

"31st page missing. Incomplete. Does not effect story."
Post 24 IP   flag post
If you can find a beater copy you could marry page 31 back for a considerable bump, but you would have to reverify the signature which sucks. Did you know before you sent it off?
Post 25 IP   flag post
Yes thats a shaft IMO. .5? That sucks.
Post 26 IP   flag post
Collector Johnnylray private msg quote post Address this user
I'm new to the grading circle..so I wonder..Will CBCS CALL us if they find it is a Restored or Missing page book?..In the event we didn't know and do not want to encapsulate it?..That would be a great idea before we cringe upon seeing a bad grade..Thoughts? Ray/RI.

I mean..when we submit a book we INSURE it for a big value , thinking it is valuable..but if it comes back restored or crappy grade do they REFUND the money it was insured for??
Post 27 IP   flag post
Select the pre-screen option when submitting and choose your minimum grade. If it doesnt make it, you only pay the shipping.. maybe they have an option for restored finding idk though
Post 28 IP   flag post
Collector Johnnylray private msg quote post Address this user
Thank you..never knew that! @shrewbeer !
Post 29 IP   flag post
Yeah I don't blame CBCS or anybody really. I surveyed the book, and as grading notes state it does not affect story so I easily skimmed over that, not feeling the need to count pages and verify total page count. It was unexpected for sure. I just felt the grade was harsh. I would totally find a beater copy and put that page in it and have it regraded. That's a valuable book otherwise!
Post 30 IP   flag post
596782 31 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?