Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Grading Help NeededQuestions

Spare a grade?15802

Collector Supermole private msg quote post Address this user
I am curious how grade would be impacted by these old stamps on the book. The book overall is in very nice except for the stamps. The interesting thing about this book is that it was used by the New York Anti-Poverty Program in the 60's...I assume to improve reading skills? Kind of cool historical provenance...not as neat as the spurned girl friend book, but still...
Post 1 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
@Supermole - That looks like a solid mid-grade copy and the stamping isn't obnoxious (ie. completely cover the art), so the penalty should be small (maybe 0.5 to 1.0). In my opinion (not worth much) the higher the grade, the more of a hit it would take - same for writing on the cover (or unverified signatures). Interesting history makes it a pretty cool book - and some collectors might actually pay more for it because of that!
Post 2 IP   flag post
I showed my wife and she was so happy for me she started to cry. Batman66 private msg quote post Address this user
It would be better to take it out of the bag and get closer pictures to get a more accurate guess. From what I seem maybe a 7.0
Post 3 IP   flag post
Here are some better pics. I still need to do a press, but i dont see anything that cant be pressed out other than the color break spine tics. I was mostly wondering how all the anti poverty stamps would impact it.
Post 4 IP   flag post

Post 5 IP   flag post

Post 6 IP   flag post
Collector Doc_Cop private msg quote post Address this user
The blunted corners, accumulation of soiling , color breaking ticks, I would put this at a solid 6.5 before a clean and press. When grading it is very important to note if the book has a mildew or musty smell. That alone knocks a book down The 7.0 range. I am one who loves the history behind the stamps on this book! Having worked as a NYC Detective in the Washington Heights area, I'm familiar with the location. Here an updated photo of 1992 Amsterdam Ave. Great book!
Post 7 IP   flag post
Wow, thanks Doc_Cop! I am happy to hear someone heard of the program! I was afraid it might be too obscure to be relevant.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Collector Wayneds private msg quote post Address this user
I agree with Doc_Cop 6.5 in its present condition
Post 9 IP   flag post
Collector lawguy1977 private msg quote post Address this user
I agree as well on the 6.5.
Post 10 IP   flag post
598060 10 10
This topic is archived. Start new topic?