Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

Interesting Exchange on Facebook Concerning the cgc Marketplace15766

If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
Since when do moderators dictated what is or isn't a proper asking price? Richard Evans is one of the owners of Bedrock City Comics in Texas. A very nice dealer and typically very easy to deal with when buying books.

Post 1 IP   flag post
You do know that the new guy brings the donuts, right? DWeeB1967 private msg quote post Address this user
Richard is top notch. I've traded / shopped at Bedrock City for years. That's really strange.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Not trying to be an ass since February 12, 2020. HulkSmash private msg quote post Address this user
Nice
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector jgzachary13 private msg quote post Address this user
Any know the book and pricing at issue?
Post 4 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
Darkhawk 1 CGC 10.0 @ $1M
Post 5 IP   flag post
Beaten by boat oars Studley_Dudley private msg quote post Address this user
I know I spend stupid money on stupid books so there has to be some dipshit out there who would be willing to buy a DH1 for that. Is it a newsstand?
Post 6 IP   flag post
I'll probably wake up constipated. Pre_Coder private msg quote post Address this user
I've only done business with Richard once and that was at a Dallas Con some years ago. Super nice guy and just awesome to do business with.

As per that particular sales thread, I saw it earlier today prior to being locked. I personally didn't see anything tacky about it.

There is a LOT of money exchanged on that board.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgzachary13

I think it was an Action #12.
Post 8 IP   flag post
I'll probably wake up constipated. Pre_Coder private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrWatson
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgzachary13

I think it was an Action #12.

CGC 8.5
Asking $394,999
Post 9 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
Is it possible the moderators thought it was a scam ? Maybe they don't know who Richard Evans is?
Post 10 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC
Is it possible the moderators thought it was a scam ? Maybe they don't know who Richard Evans is?

No chance.
Post 11 IP   flag post
I'd like to say I still turned out alright, but that would be a lie. flanders private msg quote post Address this user
I know CGC has a weird policy of not allowing books that are cross listed. Seeing as how they don't make money off this sale, their policy makes no sense.
Post 12 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC

Pretty much anybody in the U.S. who buys/sells comics, knows who Richard Evans is (Bedrock).
Post 13 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pre_Coder
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC

Anybody in the U.S. who knows comics, knows who Richard Evans is (Bedrock).

For sure...but why then? It looks like they're dictating prices now which also begs the question...but why? weird one....
Post 14 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pre_Coder
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC

Anybody in the U.S. who knows comics, knows who Richard Evans is (Bedrock).

For sure...but why then? It looks like they're dictating prices now which also begs the question...but why? weird one....

Oh, I agree. Why..?
Post 15 IP   flag post
My theory is,... the book was not expected to be "claimed" openly,.. just brought to attention. As I said above, there is a LOT of money exchanged on that board.
Post 16 IP   flag post
Collector 50AE_DE private msg quote post Address this user
It explains here what happened.

https://www.cgccomics.com/boards/topic/411843-general-discussion-thread-keep-the-other-threads-clean/?do=findComment&comment=11976971
Post 17 IP   flag post
Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
Damned!!! just had some unexpected expenses ....would 8mill be enough for that Gem??
Post 18 IP   flag post
Ima gonna steal this and look for some occasion to use it! IronMan private msg quote post Address this user
I will have to throw in with precoder on this. That book wasn't intended to actually sell at a million bucks. It was just an attention ploy.

IMHO - If the FB forum was a sales page - then taking the post down seems reasonable. IDK about a suspension. That seems unreasonable. But maybe there is more to the suspension than just the price of the book. Some mods have thin skins and get riled up over being argued with. So maybe there was an exchange we are not hearing about between Evans and the moderator that lead to a suspension.
Post 19 IP   flag post
And I have to throw in with @IronMan...

(1) The suspension seems unreasonable.
(2) Thin-skins have absolutely no business being a Mod (if this is the case).
(3) We do not know what the exchange was.
Post 20 IP   flag post
Collector Nchatzi7 private msg quote post Address this user
I can see why the Cgc board would suspend and close the thread because if something like that was listed in that price, then it results in bad publicity. When something is unreal and people get to see that and reproduce etc etc then it will result in the degradation of the hobby. It will result in people making wrong assumptions and cgc may start losing its integrity. If they allowed that, then maybe another one would do the same thing again, and again, and again..
That wont end well.
Apart from that though, i think that they should have first talked to the person putting up that add before they close it. so that they would avoid the disrespect shown to him.
Post 21 IP   flag post
Collector Jabberwookie private msg quote post Address this user
We sure talk about CGC a lot on these boards...
Post 22 IP   flag post
You can't get good wood on the ball every time. HotKeyComics private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabberwookie
We sure talk about CGC a lot on these boards...

Freedom of speech is an amazing thing... imagine if it existed on their forums too! 😁
Post 23 IP   flag post
Collector* Towmater private msg quote post Address this user
From reading what the mod posted over there it was a mistake due to miscommunication and lack of personnel.

Kind of a nothing sandwich.
Post 24 IP   flag post
PLOD theCapraAegagrus private msg quote post Address this user
Moderation is CGC's biggest weakness. Users will button-hump you over a small disagreement that occurred years prior that they haven't gotten over. The paid admins/mods have no sense of context or humor. "Rules" seem to change on a daily basis with no effort to communicate anything to the masses.

CBCS' method of moderation - while not perfect - is clearly superior.
Post 25 IP   flag post
Collector* Towmater private msg quote post Address this user
@theCapraAegagrus They might want to pick different "volunteer" mods. You wrote about users and disagreements that happened years ago. Couldn't new mods use their newly found powers to run people off due to slights that might or might not have happened long ago?

People need to remember that their business is going gangbusters. Do they really care if old forum members leave? It doesn't seem to be effecting their current bottom line.
Post 26 IP   flag post
PLOD theCapraAegagrus private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Towmater
Couldn't new mods use their newly found powers to run people off due to slights that might or might not have happened long ago?

People need to remember that their business is going gangbusters. Do they really care if old forum members leave? It doesn't seem to be effecting their current bottom line.

It's possible.

Older members are a treasure trove of information. I would argue that the CGC forums are the single richest location of comic book information. As mentioned by Pre_Coder, there's a lot of money exchanged there, too. Most of it, I imagine, flowing through those older members who are big spenders directly with CGC. I suspect that his call to CGC involved, "silencing me from your forums will prevent me from sending comics to you".

I personally experienced the result of moderation bias. By allowing politically-charged topics to remain open, they used their bias to silence particular voices. It was frustrating for a lot of people. It's quite unclear what is and is not allowed to be said, unlike here.

I don't want to submit a dreaded Wall of Text, but I think it's worth praising: Moderation here appears to use a method of thread timeouts rather than user timeouts. If a thread gets heated, it seems to get locked, and I think that no suspensions are awarded unless the violations were fairly serious or leaked over to other threads. Is it perfect? No, because the topic suffers from being locked, but it gives parties an opportunity to cool down rather than heat-up due to being silenced. It also gives them chances to continue engaging in the community in topics that they hopefully won't get worked-up in.

Everyone has bad days. I think that on those off days, we would all like the chance to be locked out from a heated subject and take a breather, rather than get suspended for the mysterious "too contentious" warning.
Post 27 IP   flag post
Why just the women? I like bears. Gaard private msg quote post Address this user
It's a forum. I remember in school, my teacher putting my desk out in the hall, because I was a disruption. I liken a forum ban/suspension to that. Couldn't care less. On a scale from 1 to 10, how much do you think it'd bother me if I were banned? It's the internet, c'mon.

Sales threads are another story>
Post 28 IP   flag post
Collector sckao private msg quote post Address this user
That thread made perfect sense actually. I used to be a quasi-moderator there as well for the VCC section.
Post 29 IP   flag post
You can't get good wood on the ball every time. HotKeyComics private msg quote post Address this user

Post 30 IP   flag post
597904 41 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?