Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

Netflix announced a series order for Grendel15758

Miss Chanandler Bong jake private msg quote post Address this user
There was a thread on 80s indie comics and Grendel was one of my favorites of that era, so I was happy when the series was announced. Hope it does well enough, so that the War Child story arc can see its way to the small screen / streaming.
Post 1 IP   flag post
Here are some issues in my PC.

Post 2 IP   flag post
Have I told you about the time I dropped off 3,000 comics at SDCC? Scifinator private msg quote post Address this user
@jake - Looking forward to it. Hopefully they put it together soon and do a good job.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Where's his Bat-package? Byrdibyrd private msg quote post Address this user
That sounds very cool. And those books are great! All signed, too. So jeally...
Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector* Towmater private msg quote post Address this user
This is good news. Matt Wagner is a good guy, a very good artist and a great creator. I'm glad that he might finally have people outside of comics understand that.

How much did Primer 2 jump since the announcement?
Post 5 IP   flag post
The Fifth Golden Girl sborock private msg quote post Address this user
Love Grendel (and Mage)!
This could be great!
And, yes, Matt is a great guy and deserves this.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Collector doog private msg quote post Address this user
Had to look at the synopsis having never read Grendel. Looks like a series I would enjoy, and seeing more comic content be optioned to our growing entertainment media is a very good thing for creators and collectors. There is no top to this hill IMO. Like real estate, the time to buy is always as soon as you can.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
oh boy. I've been waiting for this news for about 30 years.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Towmater
How much did Primer 2 jump since the announcement?

The thing with Primer 2 is that not very many people have multiples and not very many people will want to part with their copies. Like Albedo/Usagi
Post 9 IP   flag post
The 8.5 copy that is in my son's collection cost less that $120.00. I think it was a wise investment now. At the time, I thought I overpaid for it. I was just trying to put together a start to characters that I thought he might enjoy when he got to be 16 or older.
Post 10 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by sborock
Love Grendel (and Mage)!
This could be great!
And, yes, Matt is a great guy and deserves this.

Matt is an indie great! Very talented, took the time to talk to me at cons, and signed a bunch of my comics through the years.

Did I hear Mage? Here are a couple that Matt signed.

Post 11 IP   flag post
I got so jazzed about this I went and bought a second raw copy of Primer 2 on Ebay. Frees me up to sell my slabbed 9.4 copy if the price hits the right number. Maybe I bought it from a flipper. Maybe I'm the flipper...who knows.
Post 12 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by EbayMafia
I got so jazzed about this...

Me too. I started re-reading the Hunter Rose and Christine Spar stories. Also, my favorite Grendel tales that I want to get to were the Grendel-Prime, Devils and Deaths (RIP Biuković), and The Devil May Care story arcs. If I can find the letter, I'll post it, when I wrote Terry Leban who penned The Devil May Care and his response. Pretty neat IMO.
Post 13 IP   flag post
Quote:
I got so jazzed about this I went and bought a second raw copy of Primer 2 on Ebay. Frees me up to sell my slabbed 9.4 copy if the price hits the right number. Maybe I bought it from a flipper. Maybe I'm the flipper...who knows.

My search of Primer 2's doesn't pull up any sales. What was the item number of the listing that you bought? I'm interested in how much a raw copy is selling for in the last 2 or 3 days since the announcement.
Post 14 IP   flag post
I'd like to say I still turned out alright, but that would be a lie. flanders private msg quote post Address this user
I've never read a Grendel comic but there are so many different series out there. What books do you recommend?
Post 15 IP   flag post
" . " Davethebrave private msg quote post Address this user
Hopeful but Netflix is more misses than hits.

Lots of garbage put out by them to just fill-up with “original” content vs. paying big license fees.

Again, hopeful but not optimistic.
Post 16 IP   flag post
Quote:
My search of Primer 2's doesn't pull up any sales

Search Comic Primer 2 to screen out the cosmetic and paint sales.
Post 17 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by flanders
I've never read a Grendel comic but there are so many different series out there. What books do you recommend?

There is a lot. As a primer, I would read Grendel Omnibus volume 1 of the Grendel Series to get the basics. Then volume 4, Grendel Tales Omnibus 1 & 2. Grendel vol. 1-4 covers Grendel as it goes from host to host, while Grendel Tales covers the expanded Grendel universe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davethebrave
Hopeful but Netflix is more misses than hits.

Lots of garbage put out by them to just fill-up with “original” content vs. paying big license fees.

Again, hopeful but not optimistic.

That is the key. Crossing my fingers that small screen translation come off more like The Boys than the Preacher.
Post 18 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by flanders

@flanders, honestly I would read this wikipedia summary first:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grendel_(comics)
Post 19 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:

Doesn't answer what I asked but, it narrows it done to 1 of 2 raw books sold since the announcement. 1 sold on the 14th and 1 sold on the 15th. None since then. The one on the 14th has issues. Loads of color breaks on the spin. The other sold on the 15th has at least 2 color breaks on the spin. That one sold #$1004.00 with shipping.
Post 20 IP   flag post
@flanders Grendel is drawn by different artist. Also, if you are reading about Hunter Rose, his story isn't told in a continuous timeline. Yes, that sounds weird but it works.

It has elements of horror in it. There is a good werewolf running around along with vampires. Again, this makes sense if you stick with the slow build that Grendel has.

Just think that Grendel is a mirror image of Batman. Rich person (it isn't always Hunter Rose), who has it all but uses his/her wealth, power, and his/her mask for evil. What's odd is that you will be compelled at times to root for the bad guy instead of the good guy.

If you want kind of a straight forward Hunter Rose story then read the Grendel vs. The Shadow books. Once you get around the plot device to send Hunter Rose back in time you'll get a taste for how ruthless and driven he is. Those books were all written and drawn by Matt Wagner. I have some of those pages in my OA collection.
Post 21 IP   flag post
Collector 50AE_DE private msg quote post Address this user
I'm kicking myself for not picking up an extra copy of Comico Primer #2. This book has always been one of the more "expensive" books that came out during the B&W craze, and along with Crow #1, and Cerebus #1, they're books that I regret not picking up. The price of these books seemed pretty high in comparison to other B&W keys and, with the exception of Crow #1, were just expensive books with very little interest in those characters.
Post 22 IP   flag post
I showed my wife and she was so happy for me she started to cry. Batman66 private msg quote post Address this user

yeah, it was inevitable that someone was going to pick up the Grendel storyline. I'm very excited for it. Happy to have the only 9.8 signature series on either census, for now anyway. Not bad for about $225
Post 23 IP   flag post
I'm good with splotches. Nuffsaid111 private msg quote post Address this user
@Batman66 Whenever you post a book or books, it's just ridiculous incredible.
Post 24 IP   flag post
@Batman66 I am SO jeally...
Post 25 IP   flag post
I'm a #2. BigRedOne1944 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Doesn't answer what I asked but, it narrows it done to 1 of 2 raw books sold since the announcement. 1 sold on the 14th and 1 sold on the 15th. None since then. The one on the 14th has issues. Loads of color breaks on the spin. The other sold on the 15th has at least 2 color breaks on the spin. That one sold #$1004.00 with shipping.

So which one was it?
Post 26 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRedOne1944
So which one was it?

alright, alright, it was the one that cost a grand. I think it's a reasonable risk/reward for speculation, maybe I lose $300 in the long run, maybe I make $2,000. It had a "best offer" option but I skipped it because I didn't want to lose the book by trying to save 5-10%, I figure that will be irrelevant in the long-run. I was more worried about the "economy shipping" for $6 and the fact that the seller didn't sell many comic books. I contacted him and asked him for secure shipping since I accepted the asking price. He agreed and let me give him instructions how to ship. He shipped double boxed and the outer box got smashed but the book held up. I'm expecting 8.5-9.0 after press and clean. Here it is:

Post 27 IP   flag post
That is a gorgeous copy! I was never fortunate enough to have a Primer #2, so I'm satisfied with being vicariously happy.
Post 28 IP   flag post
I showed my wife and she was so happy for me she started to cry. Batman66 private msg quote post Address this user
@EbayMafia I was eyeing that one myself, I think you did good. Once Grendel is shown in a trailer or at least made mainstream, your going to double your money easy. Congrats
Post 29 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
Ive never understood why a book that has been around for 40 years or longer spikes because the character is suddenly in a TV show or movie. The best (worst) example is Agatha Harkness. No one cared until a hollow comparison showed up in a mediocre television show. Which, ironically, ends with another character, White Vision, making an appearance and spiking another book that could have been picked up for a $1 or less prior.
Post 30 IP   flag post
600857 51 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?