Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

Buying for PC vs buying for eventual sale?15739

Collector Odinson2000 private msg quote post Address this user
I buy things I like that I think will go up in price. When the price they go up gets high enough, I sell them and buy something I like even more. So everything is PC and resale in sync simultaneously.
Post 26 IP   flag post
Collector Paulbg2000 private msg quote post Address this user
40% PC
60% Future Sale or Speculation

PC being books that I will never move...
Speculation being books I'll read and then sell when the time is right...
Post 27 IP   flag post
I'd like to say I still turned out alright, but that would be a lie. flanders private msg quote post Address this user
I'm all over the place. Things I intend to buy to resell seem to have a 50% chance or more of ending up in my personal collection instead. I don't really have a plan, unlike most people, of when I'm going to sell (either immediately or up to 5 years from now). I should probably do a better job of managing my investments, but my knowledge of the industry is still growing and I appreciate books from every era, so it's not easy to narrow down my personal collection.
Post 28 IP   flag post
Please continue to ignore anything I post. southerncross private msg quote post Address this user
I just have books for pc.
Sometimes dupes are used for trade to get books I want.
I've been lately hoarding my dupes as well.
Grading is slow so now is the time to buy raws.
Maybe in a years time I'll go back to getting stuff graded and buying already graded books as the glut of them hits the market
Post 29 IP   flag post
Why just the women? I like bears. Gaard private msg quote post Address this user
50/50
Post 30 IP   flag post

I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
It should be 100% for PC, but I see so many interesting books that I just want, it’s probably more like 80-90% for PC, and 10-20% for stuff that looks good.
Post 31 IP   flag post
Collector Jabberwookie private msg quote post Address this user
@southerncross

I’ve been concentrating on raw dupes, as well.

It’s really nice to be able sell one and keep one for later!
Post 32 IP   flag post
To answer your question, no, this is not where the comics go to die. MutantMania private msg quote post Address this user
Well right now since I am starting to sell everything off it is pretty much 100% for future sales.

I never did spec but the benefit of having so many books is that a lot of the $1.00 books are starting to turn into big money

When I was keeping stuff it was probably around 50/50 most of the time/
Post 33 IP   flag post
Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
I buy mainly because I have a problem.....at 9k books now...need to stop buying new/old, stop reading and start selling....not gonna happen though..at least not fast...only sold 12 books this year and bought 3 or 4 with the proceeds - so..kind of in the right direction?
Post 34 IP   flag post
I'd like to say I still turned out alright, but that would be a lie. flanders private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatKomics
I buy mainly because I have a problem.....at 9k books now

Does this mean that since I only have around 2,000 books I don't have a problem?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Studley_Dudley
Flippers are the worst

As a flipper, I 100% agree with this, we are the worst. However, I win less than 5% of the items I bid on and a lot of the time I'm the 2nd highest bidder, so I am helping a lot of seller's out with getting a higher price for their books. That and the fact that I also buy a lot for my personal collection, makes me feel that although I see how I'm scum, there's far scummier collector's out there.

Post 35 IP   flag post
Where's his Bat-package? Byrdibyrd private msg quote post Address this user
Now I have a sneaking feeling that my 20k books means I need to seek help...
Post 36 IP   flag post
To answer your question, no, this is not where the comics go to die. MutantMania private msg quote post Address this user
So I'm guessing with 250k+ books I just need to be put away 😉
Post 37 IP   flag post
Moderator Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
So ... at 4K, I'm just getting started??!! SWEET!!!!
Post 38 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by flanders
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatKomics
I buy mainly because I have a problem.....at 9k books now

Does this mean that since I only have around 2,000 books I don't have a problem?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Studley_Dudley
Flippers are the worst

As a flipper, I 100% agree with this, we are the worst. However, I win less than 5% of the items I bid on and a lot of the time I'm the 2nd highest bidder, so I am helping a lot of seller's out with getting a higher price for their books. That and the fact that I also buy a lot for my personal collection, makes me feel that although I see how I'm scum, there's far scummier collector's out there.

Don't worry. Just lower your expectations of what you expect from yourself and you''ll be just fine.
Post 39 IP   flag post
Where's his Bat-package? Byrdibyrd private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by MutantMania
So I'm guessing with 250k books I just need to be put away

I feel so much better now!
Post 40 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
When I buy a Restored or Qualified book or low grade slab, those are the books that are most likely to be Permanent Personal Collection for me. We are all built differently, but the number on the label gives me very little enjoyment. I'm just not a perfectionist (and I'm sure many people in my life would vouch for that). I figure in the end my personal collection will be a bunch of boxes that are not worth grading and a bunch of slabs that the industry discounts more than I do because of flaws and restoration.
Post 41 IP   flag post
I showed my wife and she was so happy for me she started to cry. Batman66 private msg quote post Address this user
I focus on books for the pc. Trying to let the hobby help fund the addiction. When I upgrade or find a deal I know I can make some cash on, sell, trade to fund more books for the pc. That has helped build my collection tremendously.
Post 42 IP   flag post
Why just the women? I like bears. Gaard private msg quote post Address this user
Definition of a comic book dealer is ________

Definition of a comic book flipper is _________
Post 43 IP   flag post
Collector etapi65 private msg quote post Address this user
I buy for my PC for main titles/distributors (Image, Marvel, DC), but occasionally sell things I'm willing to part with if the money is right. Plan on selling my Young Avengers #1 when I get it back from grading as I'm not big into marvel or the Young Avengers characters and I can chip away at money for my Showcase #22 and Green Lantern #1.

I support kickstarter titles that I get a .pdf included and then will sell the physical copies. I do kickstarter to try and support independent creators and don't feel bad for reselling to break-even (though rarely make a profit). This has worked pretty well for Coffin titles, Still Ill Princess, counterpoint, paper films. This doesn't seem to pan out for several others, but I just get a minimum tier in those cases. Or, if the creators end up seeming like douches I stop supporting.
Post 44 IP   flag post
" . " Davethebrave private msg quote post Address this user
Thanks for all the posts so far.

No judgment between speculation and PC buying. They both play a role. My interest is better understanding market dynamics generally first.

Oh and I am 95% PC 5% spec on volume and 99%/1% split by value of books.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaard

Similar and both would of course fall under the same grouping for my purpose BUT a dealer would purchase and sell for a spread with little or no holding period. Their spread would be based on volume and transaction speed. “Market maker” … so they provide convenience to sellers who are willing to take below-FMV to either speed a deal or below FMV to facilitate the sale of many books at once (another variation of speed).

A flipper could cover some of the above but also may a) have a process to improve books like C&P and/or b) purchase based on momentum and hold for a higher price.

Distinction is imprecise because both terms encompass a wide range of activities…
Post 45 IP   flag post
Quote:

Oh, there is big difference.

A dealer is someone who buys and sells books for a living. That's how they put food on the table and you know where you typically stand when dealing a dealer. You know their objective is to buy low and sell high.

A flipper is someone who buys and sells books as a sideline. In other words, this is something done outside their regular means of making a living. Flipper also carries a negative connotation. This is usually the type of person who begs for a discount since the book is for their "personal" collection and then a few weeks later (and after a CPR) the book has found its way into the latest ComicLink auction. The phrase "Ruthless Flipper" wasn't coined by accident.
Post 46 IP   flag post
@DrWatson I am pretty sure based on side spend and side gigs that the lines are now blurred… lots of money being put in and that looks like the “gig worker” equivalent of “gig trader”
Post 47 IP   flag post
Collector* Towmater private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

They will be considered the same thing if their income is over $ 600.00 annually in the near future.
Post 48 IP   flag post
Please continue to ignore anything I post. southerncross private msg quote post Address this user
Dealer/Flipper all I see is people moving books into collectors hands, Nuff Said 👍
Post 49 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by southerncross
Dealer/Flipper all I see is people moving books into collectors hands, Nuff Said 👍

Warning: The following statement is my opinion and will be a gross stereotypical generalization that some may find triggering:

Dealers typically have scruples while flippers don't. I would rather support a career dealer as an Internet flipper.
Post 50 IP   flag post
Collector doog private msg quote post Address this user
My son owns a comic book store, he is a dealer. He sells new books along with old, has employees, has a brick and mortar store.
My brother has always been a flipper, works out of his basement, does shows. Often finds books at shows for cheap and flips them at the same show to people he knows that want them for extremely quick and high profit.
Post 51 IP   flag post
I guess your son has more scruples than your brother.
Post 52 IP   flag post
Collector sckao private msg quote post Address this user
The main difference is subtle... The dealer is upfront about his needing to run a business which involves buying and selling. The flipper may use a personal reason like saying it's for a personal collection or a grail to engender a discount, then turn around and flip it almost instantly. There's nothing intrinsically wrong with flipping... it's the bad eggs who sour the experience for people who thought they were helping someone obtain a grail only to see it for sale later.

(There may be a reason for it being on sale. The flipper may have found a nicer copy and needed to sell this previous copy... but the bad feelings may remain if they are on the same boards. Some communication would be nice or an offer to sell it back, etc. although that's clearly optional.)
Post 53 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrWatson
A flipper is someone who buys and sells books as a sideline. In other words, this is something done outside their regular means of making a living

I suppose I'm not a flipper then. This makes me feel a bit better about myself.
Post 54 IP   flag post
To me the intent (or dealer vs flipper) doesn’t matter unless someone is deceiving another.

If I tell someone I am buying to keep (for whatever reason) then if I turn around and flip I am simply not true to my word. I (personally) would not be okay doing that. Some people are. Some people’s word loses significance over multiple dealings. For some their word means nothing - period.

But back to the original topic. Thank you everyone for sharing. I wonder if there is some selection bias in who responds (overall) because of some of the apparent stigma on the spec side of the equation. Hopefully not too much. In any case the input is useful. I do think this site could use a polling function - would be a great addition.
Post 55 IP   flag post
598060 75 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?