Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

Buying for PC vs buying for eventual sale?15739

" . " Davethebrave private msg quote post Address this user
What percentage of books do you buy for PC vs spec/near term (<5yr)resale?

Asking because I am refining my market model for various keys. Trying to gauge a baseline demand estimate.

Through Ebay/HA I am able to get a rough sense of the above quantitatively. A survey baseline is helpful too.

Not looking to debate or defend valuation views as it is a (post-mortem)bruised and deceased horse already.

Wish there was a polling feature here…
Post 1 IP   flag post
Pictures? We don't need no stinking pictures. brysb private msg quote post Address this user
For me it is 100% PC.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Not trying to be an ass since February 12, 2020. HulkSmash private msg quote post Address this user
90-95% PC

Less than 10% of ~1000 books are purely spec. I have a full long box for grading que; less than half are spec purchases. My spec purchases are also dwindling.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector Whynotv2 private msg quote post Address this user
Me personally, I buy for me. Covers or characters I like are what drive me. In the case of characters, I don't care about the condition (mostly) because I'm not buying it to sell. Example, I bought a Silver Surfer vol 1 #1 several years ago for cheap and might grade as a 1.0 if I'm lucky (we'll see in a couple of weeks when it comes back from grading) because the cover is detached and kind of crappy. The book is otherwise complete. I bought it because the Silver Surfer is one of my favorite characters and I wanted the first issue. I may do the same with a FF #48 to have the first appearance.

Just my thought/buying process to answer the question.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Miss Chanandler Bong jake private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by brysb
For me it is 100% PC.

Same, 100% PC.
Post 5 IP   flag post
You do know that the new guy brings the donuts, right? DWeeB1967 private msg quote post Address this user
99.95% for my own PC.

I used to buy a book here or there for spec but not really anymore.
When I used to do that (80s and 90s) I'd generally buy two copies of a new comic and trade one to a dealer for older SA/BA stuff for my PC. So it was never really a money-making deal.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Have I told you about the time I dropped off 3,000 comics at SDCC? Scifinator private msg quote post Address this user
At least 90% but probably closer to 99% of my acquisitions are for my PC. That said, some of those acquisitions are an upgrade to which I will then sell the lower grade copy
Post 7 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by jake
Quote:
For me it is 100% PC.

Same, 100% PC.

Ditto...100% PC with the understanding that eventually it all gets sold.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Collector Jabberwookie private msg quote post Address this user
So, my answer is a mixed bag.

It’s all for my PC, but having 2-3k comics is unwieldy, so I’m selling the things I don’t value and streamlining my collection.

Some of those I’m sitting on until shows come out and then I’ll sell.

Right now, I’m keeping all Avengers, X-Men, Star Wars and Batman.

Everything else is fair game except silver age books and older.

I still keep those.
Post 9 IP   flag post
I'm good with splotches. Nuffsaid111 private msg quote post Address this user
I'm at the age when I now am grading everything for eventual spec/re-sale. So 100% resale
Post 10 IP   flag post
PLOD theCapraAegagrus private msg quote post Address this user
99% PC.
Post 11 IP   flag post
Collector Darkseid_of_town private msg quote post Address this user
I buy about fifty percent resale and fifty percent I buy for my PC knowing fully well that most things I buy for my PC I already have that book and am upgrading which will allow me to sell the lower grade of the two, which lets me do some pretty cheap or free upgrading often
Post 12 IP   flag post
Collector CatCovers private msg quote post Address this user
99.9% for the PC. Every now and then I'll pick up a few issues I think I can flip quickly (usually pretty good on that front). But virtually everything I buy is something I intend to sit in my collection until I'm gone.
Post 13 IP   flag post
Johnny, where are your buccaneers?
Johnny: Under my buccan hat.
Gotlift private msg quote post Address this user
90% resale. Resale profits (if any 🤣)goes towards PC…
Post 14 IP   flag post
I’m not an ant. I’m a rootin tootin Hornet! Zombie_Head private msg quote post Address this user
100% PC until I retire then 90% selling off.
Post 15 IP   flag post
Where's his Bat-package? Byrdibyrd private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuffsaid111
I'm at the age when I now am grading everything for eventual spec/re-sale. So 100% resale
I'm in this boat. I've had my large and unwieldy collection long enough, and I've been getting things graded and selling them off. Anything new I buy now (and that's not much) is purely with an eye toward spec. It's not that I have lost interest, it's just that the books have to move on someday, and I would rather be the one in control of that (and enjoying the profit) than someone else.
Post 16 IP   flag post
I'm good with splotches. Nuffsaid111 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byrdibyrd
It's not that I have lost interest, it's just that the books have to move on someday, and I would rather be the one in control of that

This!!
Post 17 IP   flag post
Beaten by boat oars Studley_Dudley private msg quote post Address this user
100% for the PC, unless my focus changes. If that happens, I may sell or trade some stuff. Flippers are the worst.
Post 18 IP   flag post
Collector xvipah private msg quote post Address this user
I've come to realize that I am no good at speculating. I buy "hot" comics, and send them in to get graded, and by the time I get them back they're not hot anymore.

So, I decided that if I find good stuff in my old collection that I don't want, or I come across something really cool for a good price I may sell them. But most everything I buy is for the PC, just not worth the effort.
Post 19 IP   flag post
would be nice to have a snugger fit. Sigur_Ros private msg quote post Address this user
Quick math = probably around:
30% for my little boy's PC.
10% for mine.
60% spec.
Post 20 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
Everything I buy is a candidate for resell in the right circumstances.
Post 21 IP   flag post
Collector doog private msg quote post Address this user
My purchases were all about creating a retirement fund, so everything I buy is for eventual resale, although now that I am retired I buy far less, only good speculative deals, using money from sales. The more valuable keys I will keep the longest, longer than 5 years, but I intend to die with no books, except likely some magazines.
Post 22 IP   flag post
Collector Jabberwookie private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by xvipah
I've come to realize that I am no good at speculating. I buy "hot" comics, and send them in to get graded, and by the time I get them back they're not hot anymore.

So, I decided that if I find good stuff in my old collection that I don't want, or I come across something really cool for a good price I may sell them. But most everything I buy is for the PC, just not worth the effort.

Don't get discouraged!

the way things are going right now is that you'll usually get a few whacks at the hot comic pinata.

And if that doesn't work, just hold on to them for about 15-20 years and the nostalgia factor this period kicks in.
Post 23 IP   flag post
Collector xvipah private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabberwookie

Don't get discouraged!

the way things are going right now is that you'll usually get a few whacks at the hot comic pinata.

And if that doesn't work, just hold on to them for about 15-20 years and the nostalgia factor this period kicks in.

It's not that big a deal, honestly. Now I just don't buy issues I see randomly to sell. I only buy them if I like them and, if in 20 years they're worth selling, I'll sell 'em then
Post 24 IP   flag post
I'll probably wake up constipated. Pre_Coder private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC
Quote:
Originally Posted by jake
Quote:
For me it is 100% PC.

Same, 100% PC.

Ditto...100% PC with the understanding that eventually it all gets sold.

Same here,.. 100%. And I have no problem adding dupes... lower or higher grade, as long as the cover wrap is sweet.
Post 25 IP   flag post
Collector Odinson2000 private msg quote post Address this user
I buy things I like that I think will go up in price. When the price they go up gets high enough, I sell them and buy something I like even more. So everything is PC and resale in sync simultaneously.
Post 26 IP   flag post
Collector Paulbg2000 private msg quote post Address this user
40% PC
60% Future Sale or Speculation

PC being books that I will never move...
Speculation being books I'll read and then sell when the time is right...
Post 27 IP   flag post
I'd like to say I still turned out alright, but that would be a lie. flanders private msg quote post Address this user
I'm all over the place. Things I intend to buy to resell seem to have a 50% chance or more of ending up in my personal collection instead. I don't really have a plan, unlike most people, of when I'm going to sell (either immediately or up to 5 years from now). I should probably do a better job of managing my investments, but my knowledge of the industry is still growing and I appreciate books from every era, so it's not easy to narrow down my personal collection.
Post 28 IP   flag post
Please continue to ignore anything I post. southerncross private msg quote post Address this user
I just have books for pc.
Sometimes dupes are used for trade to get books I want.
I've been lately hoarding my dupes as well.
Grading is slow so now is the time to buy raws.
Maybe in a years time I'll go back to getting stuff graded and buying already graded books as the glut of them hits the market
Post 29 IP   flag post
Why just the women? I like bears. Gaard private msg quote post Address this user
50/50
Post 30 IP   flag post
601329 75 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?