Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

Non-Responsive Customer Service After Label Mistake15735

Collector JoshuaFilm27 private msg quote post Address this user
I paid for 2 Day Modern grading on a few books. One came back with a label mistake. The label said "Issue 3" when it was actually the 4th issue. Over the past several weeks I have emailed customer service several times and left several phone messages but not one person has gotten back to me! Not one! Over the course of weeks. I paid for a service and I understand mistakes happen but for no one to respond and assist correcting this label mistake is ridiculous. I'm about to call AMEX and tell them to reverse the charge.

Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector Happyfacecomics private msg quote post Address this user
Reverse away !!!
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector obiwan1971 private msg quote post Address this user
I’m sure I’ll be in minority but reversing the charge would be wrong. You got the service you paid for. Granted your book should be corrected and once cbcs addresses this I’m sure it will be
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector Jabberwookie private msg quote post Address this user
I’d say give CBCS a chance to fix it first.

Many CBCS employees post here and do their best to make things right.

I’ve never seen them intentionally miss an opportunity to try and help a customer.
Post 4 IP   flag post
I'd like to say I still turned out alright, but that would be a lie. flanders private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by obiwan1971
I’m sure I’ll be in minority but reversing the charge would be wrong. You got the service you paid for.

You did get the book graded and verified, the only thing they failed to do was not make a typo. I think reversing the charge at this point is overreacting a bit. Customer service is swamped, give it time and I'm sure they'll reach out to you.

Do credit card companies do partial charge reversals? I've only disputed an entire charge before.
Post 5 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
If you reversed the charges on me, I can guarantee you I would never fix your book. However, that's just the petty side coming out in me.

In my regular business, I serve customers to the point where I let them take advantage of me from time to time.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Collector* Towmater private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
I’m sure I’ll be in minority but reversing the charge would be wrong. You got the service you paid for. Granted your book should be corrected and once cbcs addresses this I’m sure it will be

He didn't get the service he paid for. He got a flawed/mistake label. He has attempted to have it corrected. He stated he contacted CBCS "several" weeks ago. Several implies more than two or three. His message here seems polite. He appears to have reached out here in an attempt to give it one more shot before calling American Express.

I think he's gone out of his way as a customer to attempt to get the issue corrected. Unlike many threads that are similar, he hasn't presented the issue in an over-the-top manner. I hope CBCS corrects the issue quickly.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector 50AE_DE private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabberwookie

I’ve never seen them intentionally miss an opportunity to try and help a customer.

While they may not "intentioinally miss an opportunity", they sure do miss a lot of opportunities to make things right for their customers. It seems like they're getting swamped with complaints about their service almost on a daily basis.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Collector obiwan1971 private msg quote post Address this user
@Towmater he got his books graded and returned. That is the service he paid for. Did they make a mistake on a label....yes? And it’s something they will correct. Yes it sucks they have yet to answer but it’s not like they refused to fix the mistake or didn’t grade his books
Post 9 IP   flag post
Quote:
@Towmater he got his books graded and returned. That is the service he paid for. Did they make a mistake on a label....yes? And it’s something they will correct. Yes it sucks they have yet to answer but it’s not like they refused to fix the mistake or didn’t grade his books

He paid for a product to be returned graded correctly with a label that didn't have a blatant mistake on it. Under your argument then the grade could be a typo and he shouldn't have an issue with that either. It is just a mistake that will get corrected, right?

I'm pretty sure that CBCS wants the finished product to be 100% accurate when the book leaves their hands.

I think it is great that his post is well thought out and even provided a jpg. He provided proof of his his issue. I think waiting 14 to 21 or more days to get a response is beyond what most would do. I hope CBCS contacts him and corrects the issue to his liking.
Post 10 IP   flag post
I'd like to say I still turned out alright, but that would be a lie. flanders private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Towmater
Under your argument then the grade could be a typo and he shouldn't have an issue with that either

Great points and it has been several weeks of him reaching out to CBCS. If I was a first time customer, I would definitely have gotten AMEX involved already. I'm clearly biased, having used CBCS's services for a few years now and being happy with all of my submissions so far.
Post 11 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

@obiwan1971 If you are in the minority then I'm disappointed with humanity. He's having trouble reaching a swamped company over getting a clerical error fixed. It doesn't warrant a chargeback. A chargeback would be when something is so egregious that you plan to never do business with that company again. Because once you do a charge back, you probably will not be welcome back. @Towmater I can't imagine that a chargeback is how you would want to be treated by a customer in this situation.
Post 12 IP   flag post
PLOD theCapraAegagrus private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

If I pay for a printing service to make a retirement banner, but the product says, "Hapy Retirment Booby!", did I still get the service that I paid for?

The correct answer is: No.
Post 13 IP   flag post
Collector Jabberwookie private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by 50AE_DE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabberwookie

While they may not "intentioinally miss an opportunity", they sure do miss a lot of opportunities to make things right for their customers. It seems like they're getting swamped with complaints about their service almost on a daily basis.

You’re definitely not wrong.

That’s why I put “intentionally” in there.

I think they try to do the right thing at the end of the day, but the customer service structure isn’t set up all that well, in my opinion.

Having said that, I was mainly hoping that one of the CBCS would see this and address it.

Mark me down for full agreement in addressing the CS issues, though.
Post 14 IP   flag post
" . " Davethebrave private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by theCapraAegagrus
Quote:

If I pay for a printing service to make a retirement banner, but the product says, "Hapy Retirment Booby!", did I still get the service that I paid for?

It is not black/white here. If you purchase a new car and you find the cup holder isn’t working properly, you don’t return the car.

If you buy a video game and it freezes once during your first game you don’t necessarily have a “right” to a refund.

If you are a Tesla owner and your car won’t unlock its doors…

I think the worst of this is the nearly active denial of customer service. The materiality of the error itself is small. It doesnt reasonably call into question the book’s grade or authenticity (two of the material valuesof the service paid for).

But saying you will call back and then not - more than once… frustrating as hell. I think the customer is within their rights to have some path to rectify without costing their own time. That time’s value adds up and I might reverse a charge if my time was not being valued to the extent described here.
Post 15 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davethebrave
It is not black/white here.

It is, though. If you reach out and the error is not corrected, then you did not receive the product/service that you paid for, and have every right to be refunded by whatever means necessary.
Post 16 IP   flag post
Collector dfoster43 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:

My neck tattoo "No Regerts"
Post 17 IP   flag post
Collector Huntergreene2 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:

But no one would forget that retirement party.
Post 18 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
It is not black/white here.

It is, though. If you reach out and the error is not corrected, then you did not receive the product/service that you paid for, and have every right to be refunded by whatever means necessary.

What about my examples?

I may end up at the same conclusion as you due to zero responses to correcting the issue. But drawing that line is indeed a gray zone. Because the material part of the service was rendered: grade, authentication, encapsulation. Perfection is not a typical product standard, which is why software has patches and warranties exist and have limitations.
Post 19 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by EbayMafia
@Towmater I can't imagine that a chargeback is how you would want to be treated by a customer in this situation.

Yes, I would. If I ran a company and several weeks went by after a customer first brought to my company's attention we have failed that customer twice. I would hope that the charge back would cause a situation in which it was brought to my attention.

Under this example, several weeks with multiple attempts by the customer to contact CBCS has brought no relief. So, the OP started this thread. I think the OP was looking for someone in the company to take notice before he did the charge back.

A charge back from what I remember locks the funds on the charge. A $25.00 charge was issued to the company it is against for the investigation of the issue by the credit card company. (I don't know if the charge is more than that now. It was that 6 years ago).The card company asks the retailer and the card holder to provide information on the issue. They investigate it and make a decision. You make it seem like something bigger than that. It isn't.
Post 20 IP   flag post
The Fifth Golden Girl sborock private msg quote post Address this user
@JoshuaFilm27 DM sent
Post 21 IP   flag post
Quote:
What about my examples?

I may end up at the same conclusion as you due to zero responses to correcting the issue. But drawing that line is indeed a gray zone. Because the material part of the service was rendered: grade, authentication, encapsulation. Perfection is not a typical product standard, which is why software has patches and warranties exist and have limitations.

I answered that. If you don't get what you paid for, then you have every right to get your refund.

Refund isn't the #1 answer to the situation. Refund is the answer when no follow-up service is offered to provide you with the product/service that you paid for.

What you're discussing is more or less the process of how we get to the black/white conclusion. Step 1 would be to contact the brand that didn't provide the proper end-item. The final step would always be the same - for me - though: Refund by whatever means necessary.
Post 22 IP   flag post
Collector etapi65 private msg quote post Address this user
I would see this and assume something fishy with the book from the seller. As is, this has no value as the label does not reflect the contents. could have cracked a slab and replaced a book or something.

I'd keep trying with customer service, personally, as they will fix it for free (eventually). If my plan was to turn and sell quickly this would be extremely frustrating and I might consider contacting credit card company. If I'm keeping the book it's a minor annoyance.
Post 23 IP   flag post
would be nice to have a snugger fit. Sigur_Ros private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshuaFilm27
I paid for 2 Day Modern grading on a few books. One came back with a label mistake. The label said "Issue 3" when it was actually the 4th issue. Over the past several weeks I have emailed customer service several times and left several phone messages but not one person has gotten back to me! Not one! Over the course of weeks. I paid for a service and I understand mistakes happen but for no one to respond and assist correcting this label mistake is ridiculous. I'm about to call AMEX and tell them to reverse the charge.

Like most people on Earth, I'm no fan of CBCS customer service either. I asked a question about submitting a few weeks ago. If I wasn't considering sending it to CGC instead, I'd be pretty annoyed that I still haven't received a response.

I would not reverse the charges, I would work it out. We have seen that if you scream loud enough on these boards, you will eventually get a response. Try it.

But in fairness to the CBCS quality control... it is pretty hard to tell that's issue #4

edit: Just read the rest of the thread. Seems he's been contacted.
Post 24 IP   flag post
Collector dfoster43 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigur_Ros

But in fairness to the CBCS quality control... it is pretty hard to tell that's issue #4

LOL yes, pretty hard. Squinting ... squinnnnntiiiinnng ...
Post 25 IP   flag post
would be nice to have a snugger fit. Sigur_Ros private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Towmater
Under your argument then the grade could be a typo and he shouldn't have an issue with that either. It is just a mistake that will get corrected, right?

I would request they regrade the book from the start.
Is the date correct, I wonder? I looked online a bit but can't tell if 4/21 is the date for that issue or for issue 3 (of this specific variant, not the date of the first print initial release).

The label could have been meant for a different book.

I've seen on a couple occasions (videos) where CGC swapped 2 labels on 2 books of a submission.
It really could be the wrong label, not just a typo.

Hopefully Steve offers that.
Post 26 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
What about my examples?

I answered that. If you don't get what you paid for, then you have every right to get your refund.

Refund isn't the #1 answer to the situation. Refund is the answer when no follow-up service is offered to provide you with the product/service that you paid for.

What you're discussing is more or less the process of how we get to the black/white conclusion. Step 1 would be to contact the brand that didn't provide the proper end-item. The final step would always be the same - for me - though: Refund by whatever means necessary.

Like I said, same or similar end-point. The gray part is where to draw the line after reaching out to customer service and attempting resolution.

But for me this would push it over the edge. But that is for me - different views so a bit gray.

Happy it appears to now be on the path to resolution.
Post 27 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfoster43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigur_Ros

LOL yes, pretty hard. Squinting ... squinnnnntiiiinnng ...

Although if we saw on the submission form that it was submitted as a #3...that would be an interesting twist on the whole thing. Not justification, just funny.
Post 28 IP   flag post
Collector 50AE_DE private msg quote post Address this user
Seeing how people sometimes buy the label, and not the book, I can see this being a potential problem for the OP in the future when it comes time to resell. I can already see threads popping up about a suspected label swap purchase.

The OP paid for a service which includes getting the right label for his books. Who knows, maybe that isn't even the right label for his book. Imagine if this were a CGC book. I'm sure the responses would have been much different.
Post 29 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
The cgc screw up labels all the time. I personally still have two that need fixing. They used to screw them up at on site grading with regularity.

It shouldn't happen with either company, but it does. It's no big deal. Send it back in. They'll fix it. Of course now isn't the best time since both companies are flooded with more submissions than they can handle.
Post 30 IP   flag post
601333 34 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?