Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Questions

CBCS Charged Me More Than I Thought They Would?15655

Collector Eclipse9665 private msg quote post Address this user
Hey everyone, I have an order I submitted in May for pressing and grading which just got received this past week (yay!). So of course my credit card was charged. However it seems they charged me 3.6% more than what was on my invoice. I am in Canada. My dad was also charged the same amount more on his order.

Does anyone know what that extra 3% is?

Thanks for the help.
Post 1 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR dielinfinite private msg quote post Address this user
We’d need more information before we can guess at what might’ve happened. Was your order submitted as a USA order or as a Canada order? Were there any screening services added?

My guess without knowing anything else is that it might be something in the currency conversion. But I can’t say for sure without more information
Post 2 IP   flag post
@dielinfinite Submitted as a Canada order. Only screening was a press screening on one comic in my order. No screening for pressing or grading on any other books

Currency conversion was our hunch too, just wanted to see if this happened to anyone/what other people's thoughts were.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
lol.

my order is also 3.6% higher - only a few bucks - it been a while since I had an order payment but I think it's rounding on the currency conversion back and forth??

Pretty sure they convert the CAD to USD to enter the invoice in their system - which then charges us USD to convert back to CAD at or about the price on our invoice

I'm almost 100% sure they don't have a CAD bank account hence all the back and forth.
Post 4 IP   flag post
@KatKomics Makes sense that was our hypothesis as well. Just wanted to see if anyone else had that happen too.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector Cerebus3000 private msg quote post Address this user
This is likely explained in the fine print:

https://www.cbcscomics.com/can-pricing

"All prices listed for CBCS Canada are in CAD. Please be aware that if you are paying via credit card, you will be charged in USD so rates could vary slightly. CBCS recommends you check with your bank/credit card company to insure there are no extra fees associated with this type of transaction. CBCS can not be responsible for extra fees associated with credit card transactions."

My assumption is that CBCS charges the USD equivalent of the CAD invoice based on their bank's conversion rate on the day of the transaction. Unfortunately our credit cards convert back to CAD at a less favourable rate. My purchase was 4.2% different using Bank of Montreal no fee MasterCard. This card charges 2.5% more than what they are charged by MasterCard International. So it looks like everyone involved is taking a slice. Rates may be better with "fancier" credit cards.
Post 6 IP   flag post
@Cerebus3000 Thanks!
Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector comixfan59 private msg quote post Address this user
Hey, I am not going to worry about them charging me more because I am not sending in anymore books until they resolve the issue of them either damaging or going ahead with grading 13 damaged books without notifying us that they had been damaged. All in the same area of all 13 books. Then they had the audacity to put in grading notes “impact” on all of them. Plus they won’t be getting anymore business from several others as the local comic book store has told the customers about my situation and informs me several are not sending books in until they see how it is resolved. One already just sent their books to CGC rather then wait.
Sorry to hear anyone is getting charged more by CBCS.
Post 8 IP   flag post
@comixfan59 Sorry to hear about your situation but for me anyway it seems to be just a currency conversion which I am ok with.
Post 9 IP   flag post
601226 9 9
This topic is archived. Start new topic?