Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS GradedQuestions

Hurricane Problems15632

I'm good with splotches. Nuffsaid111 private msg quote post Address this user
I store my valuable slabs on an anchored 10 x 10 barge in the middle of the Gulf of Mexico.
Its covered with waterproof roofing and a dehumidifier nearby.
Im good
Post 26 IP   flag post
I hear their hourly rate is outrageous! sportshort private msg quote post Address this user
Post 27 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuffsaid111
I store my valuable slabs on an anchored 10 x 10 barge in the middle of the Gulf of Mexico.
Im good

Well you know, there are some drawbacks to that... But if you watched the barge being built you should be in the clear.
Post 28 IP   flag post
Collector Darkseid_of_town private msg quote post Address this user
Have to admire those who takes the cheap shots.....they truly show you who they are.
Post 29 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by EbayMafia
Quote:
Im good

Well you know, there are some drawbacks to that... But if you watched the barge being built you should be in the clear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkseid_of_town
Have to admire those who takes the cheap shots.....they truly show you who they are.

I took a non-partisan poke at both sides of the argument. Not every jab or criticism needs to be taken personally. Thick skin is among the most admirable of all qualities.
Post 30 IP   flag post

Collector Darkseid_of_town private msg quote post Address this user
I would have thought the ability to see the best in others, or to try and have empathy would be one of the most admirable of all qualities rather than developing thicker skin to avoid being offended and clumsy and rude people. Oh well we learn something new every day...
Post 31 IP   flag post
I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
Finished inspecting all of the slabs.

No water damage found.

I think the raw books are OK but I will have to check them out when I get back from my trip.

Bought some painters plastic from Home Depot and covered three sets of shelves with plastic.

I also put a plastic garbage bin under the spot where the water came from in case anything happens before the roofer comes to install the new roof.

I have the just over a week away from home to think about how I will change my setup here.

Really lucked out here all things considered.
Post 32 IP   flag post
I'm good with splotches. Nuffsaid111 private msg quote post Address this user
That's so great to hear.
The amount of water related horror stories with comics over the years is more than I can count.
That sinking feeling with not knowing is the absolute worst.
It's so nice when one comes out on the positive side - very happy for ya
Post 33 IP   flag post
" . " Davethebrave private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
That's so great to hear.
The amount of water related horror stories with comics over the years is more than I can count.
That sinking feeling with not knowing is the absolute worst.
It's so nice when one comes out on the positive side - very happy for ya

“That sinking feeling” in a water damage comment. Well done.

I am confident that water damage is by category the single biggest “grade reducer/collection destroyer” right after mom threw out “those worthless books.”

At least post WW2…

I mean that the degree of damage and permanence in combination, ouch…

I guess comics in attics/sheds with literally crumbling paper too…

Happy the OP avoided catastrophe. I mentioned in another post maybe a week or two ago the crazy thing about obsessively focusing on “1%” degradation risk (like light damage from thoughtfully and carefully displaying a comic) is that we can sometimes overlook real, meaningful risks.

Watch where you store books for water intrusion both external and internal sources, because water damage can be either sudden OR insidious.

Clogged gutters can result in water hitting areas you would not expect. Pipe layouts in the house where you may be unaware. Slopes or natural channels. Takes only a bit of effort to consider but will likely mitigate the most likely source of severe damage.

Finally, I think it has to be said that it isn’t always prudent to have certain types of collections unless insured. If someone live in NYC, for example, and isn’t “Seinfeld+” wealthy, having a bunch if nice collector cars may not be ideal.

If someone lives in Florida without full control of their climate control / humidity, a rare comic or book collection may not be wise if for long-term ownership (even WITH insurance in that case).

Finally, I will say this is one thing that concerns me a bit about reliance on slab purchases online in the long-run especially. Someone could own a bunch of valuable slabs but have them stored in 80% humidity … and unless you get clear indications of rusty staples etc, it will be very difficult to tell from photos if the book still holds the grade. Somewhat off-topic but also could be relevant for water damaged books in other instances.

This risk will likely increase over time. It is something you see in collector cars. For example, “California Car” is often seen as a positive “label”… but Cali cars “could” have some of the highest risks of corrosion damage as well. They are also the most difficult to catch.

Grading labels may miss poorly stored books that had water damage…

There are some relatively simple ways to address this risk but I am not sure if the grading companies have done so. I suspect not.
Post 34 IP   flag post
600902 34 9
This topic is archived. Start new topic?