Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Pop CultureWant to Buy

Digital downloads (stupid questions)15623

Collector Herkzy private msg quote post Address this user
I was wondering if anyone knows a good way to buy digital downloads of comics without having to sign up with a monthly service.
I’m headed down to Antarctica here shortly and just wanted to buy the three Sandman onmibus to read on my phone. I won’t have internet down there for the phone.

Thanks in advance.
Post 1 IP   flag post
The apple sauce and pudding were the best part... Bronte private msg quote post Address this user
I bought a few kindle books from Amazon that didn't require a subscription. However, I'm not sure they have all titles available.

Ymmv
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector Puckster private msg quote post Address this user
I can't answer your question but I just want to give you a shout out for going down to Antarctica. Not something I would be able to personally do. Good luck down there.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector Herkzy private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckster
I can't answer your question but I just want to give you a shout out for going down to Antarctica. Not something I would be able to personally do. Good luck down there.

It’s what I do. Home away from home. This will be my 12th season.

I didn’t get to go last season due to the COVID suspending everything. And this season… (at the minimum)three weeks of quarantine depending on the weather. They’re nice hotels but still, locked down in Christchurch New Zealand. The record for longest lock down is 42 days before the weather cleared. I’m just looking for media that I can down to my phone. It an iPhone. I want to build a collection to read without having my phone connected to any services.
Post 4 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR dielinfinite private msg quote post Address this user
@Herkzy Comixology, a division of Amazon, is probably the largest, mainstream solution with a large selection from the major publishers covered. Books can be read offline via the app and some of the indie published books even allow DRM-Free downloads in formats such as PDF

They have a bunch of free issues available as well if you want to test out the functionality before spending anything. Apparently I have a library of about 1,700 books that I’ve gotten for free. Free books come in a two flavors. There’s stuff that it is outright free; you add them to your cart and checkout and they are tied to your account from then on. These are the majority of the free books. Usually #1s and previews to entice you into buying more. Then there are books that are Borrowed, which means they are temporarily free for a time and then require a purchase.

They also have regular sales that drop the price of a TPB-equivalent to just a few dollars.

Of course there are other options. You can find free Comic Book Reader apps that allow you to add your own scanned books (usually in apps like PDF, zip, or CBZ) but I’d imagine scanning your own books would be more work than you are looking to do.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector GanaSoth private msg quote post Address this user
https://getcomics.info/

You can donate to the above site, but not required.
Post 6 IP   flag post
600689 6 6
This topic is archived. Start new topic?