Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Collector TigerRose1981 private msg quote post Address this user
Being that i am new to the collecting aspect of the comic world, i am still learning a lot! I've been growing my collection in the last few months and i was curious as to what is the best way to store my bagged and boarded books so there will be no damage to the corners sides and sufaces. My long boxes are almost full but I've always felt that storing them that way puts pressure on the bottom edge and corners of the books. All the ones I've purchased in the last few months i decided to gently, carefully, and neatly stack them on a flat desk in a safe environment in stacks of about 15 to 20. I thought that may be a better way to protect the edges and keep them flat. It wasn't until just now, while looking through the new additions, that i realized that may not be the best way....due to the fact that some boards are different sizes and any overhang or tape impression from the backboard of the book on top of the other, combined with the weight of the stacks may case bending or or indentations. It's not logical to store every book flat by itself obviously so I'm seeking help as to what is the best way to store them until i can sell or grade the ones i want to circulate?

Sorry for such a naive question but from the newbie...lol! šŸ˜Š
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector GanaSoth private msg quote post Address this user
BCW Plastic Comic Storage Cases.
BTW you a Clemson fan / SC ?

Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector TheLJ private msg quote post Address this user
Concur these are awesome
Post 3 IP   flag post
@GanaSoth thank you so much!!
And yes...My family and I are probably the BIGGEST CLEMSON FANS there ever was!!!!! My dad started taking my sisters and I to games from birth basically! We have a lot of special history and cool stories involving CLEMSON and Dabo and my family lineage of CLEMSON graduates!!!

Are you a fan too?
Post 4 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
@TigerRose1981 - I have stored bagged and boarded comics for years in short and long boxes. I now prefer the short boxes because they are just easier to handle. I always put the comics so that covers face covers and backs face backs - that way you do not have to worry about getting tape impressions on the covers and since the spines are not all on one side, the books are much more even. If you want the ultimate protection, stop using cheap poly bags and white boards, and try Mylites 2 with fullbacks (or even the less thick halfbacks). They are crystal clear, acid-free, never yellow, and offer great corner protection too. The standard sizes will fit modern comics and even many Silver Age books.
When I started collecting decades ago, dealers didnā€™t use boards so you could see the backs of the books you were buying at shows (they werenā€™t called conventions back then). So I started storing books two per bag, back-to-back in long boxes. Eventually I switched out the yellowed bags and went to bags and boards. And now anything of value gets the Mylites 2 and fullbacks treatment.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Thank ya'll so much! I think that is the route I will go!!
Post 6 IP   flag post
Collector WndrWmn74 private msg quote post Address this user
@TigerRose1981 Go Tigers!! Class of ā€˜96 myself šŸ¤—. I miss being able to look out of my dorm at Clemson House across Bowman Field and see Tillman Hall. Of course they went and tore down Clemson House now šŸ„ŗšŸ˜Ŗ. Oh how I miss that placeā€¦
Post 7 IP   flag post
Not trying to be an ass since February 12, 2020. HulkSmash private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by esaravo
@TigerRose1981 - I have stored bagged and boarded comics for years in short and long boxes. I now prefer the short boxes because they are just easier to handle. I always put the comics so that covers face covers and backs face backs - that way you do not have to worry about getting tape impressions on the covers and since the spines are not all on one side, the books are much more even. If you want the ultimate protection, stop using cheap poly bags and white boards, and try Mylites 2 with fullbacks (or even the less thick halfbacks). They are crystal clear, acid-free, never yellow, and offer great corner protection too. The standard sizes will fit modern comics and even many Silver Age books.
When I started collecting decades ago, dealers didnā€™t use boards so you could see the backs of the books you were buying at shows (they werenā€™t called conventions back then). So I started storing books two per bag, back-to-back in long boxes. Eventually I switched out the yellowed bags and went to bags and boards. And now anything of value gets the Mylites 2 and fullbacks treatment.

^^^This^^^ and the BCW Bins. As long your books are not packed tightly they will be fine all facing 1 direction.

Either way You should be able to remove and replace a book with out forcing any others to one side to get it out or dragging another up with it. That will keep stress off of the spines and allow your books to breath. I prefer facing one direction for easier access and seeing what Iā€™m looking for, but your call on that one.
Post 8 IP   flag post
@TigerRose1981 @WndrWmn74 Small world we live in huh? I currently live in SC about an hour (give or take) away from Clemson.
Post 9 IP   flag post
" . " Davethebrave private msg quote post Address this user
Mylites and fullbacks are all I use but my collection is admittedly small (<1,000 books).

Key is being mindful of stress points and environment. I have small temp/humidity sensors. I know temp target is in the low 60s but I realistically just aim for stability in normal living temps (high. 60s / low 70s). Humidity is more important. 30-50% with not too much movement day to day. Ideal is likely 35% but reality is you wonā€™t be causing issues if books are not being exposed to excessively dry or humid conditions.

My wife and I also collect musical instruments (cellos, guitars etc) and it is a similar set of considerations.

But if you are mindful of how the books sit, where pressure is applied, and their environment overall, you should be good.

I will say for my graded books (<100 in total) I keep them flat and stacked but with limits on number of books stacked. Counter to typical ā€œvaluables concealedā€ logic, I have my most expensive books nearer the tops of those stacks.

They are in corrugated plastic comic boxes (but laid on their side with lids facing cupboard doors), and themselves in mylar sleeves. Complete overkill but since minimal additional effort, worthwhile.

Will say that you can take this to really extreme lengths but honestly the risks start to often overshadow real benefitsā€¦

Oh and Edā€™s advice above is spot on. Recently acquired some lower-end books from his collection and they were very nicely preserved. The benefits of thoughtful preservation definitely show.
Post 10 IP   flag post
Not trying to be an ass since February 12, 2020. HulkSmash private msg quote post Address this user
I also use archival adhesive instead of tape. I use 1 - 1-1/2 inch in center to hold the flap down.

Post 11 IP   flag post
" . " Davethebrave private msg quote post Address this user
@HulkSmash I like archival tape but will note that scotch tape is fine as usually applied - NOT to the book itselfā€¦ but to the mylar or poly bag.

The tape may degrade but it will do no harm.

Archival tape is really most important when the tape is coming in contact with the book directly.

Just want to point this out in case someone feels the need to replace hundreds of pieces of tape on their bagged booksā€¦
Post 12 IP   flag post
For over kill I use the following for my comics.
E. Gerber Mylites2 with Full Backs Backing Boards.

Standard Comic Book Size #725M2 with Full Backs Standard #700FB

Silver & Golden Age Comic Book Size #775M2 with Full Backs Silver Gold #750FB

You can now place the comic that is inside the Standard Mylites2 with Full Back inside the Silver & Golden Age Comic Mylites2 with Full Back for the best protection. Especially if sending to get graded.

I also use Painters Tape to close the flaps. I cut it and then fold over a small flap so I can grab to open if needed.

Keep in mind that if you decide to overkill by using also the Silver & Golden Age Comic Book Size #775M2 with Full Backs Silver Gold #750FB then you will need to store them inside the BCW Graded Comics Plastic Boxes as they will no longer fit inside a BCW Standard Box. But if using Standard Comic Book Size #725M2 with Full Backs Standard #700FB they will fit perfectly inside the BCW Standard Comic Plastic Boxes.
Post 13 IP   flag post
Moderator Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
As far as tape for the bags, there is the option of acid free invisible tape. It's usually about the same price or a bit higher than regular invisible tape. Just look closely at the packaging.

If you are worried about tape pulls on your books, fold over a piece of one end of the tape to make a tab. Then, position the tape so the tab is on the flap side and most of the tape is on the bag. Then, to open, you will pull the tape using the tab and leaving the tape on the bag and not on the flap. I stole this idea from someone here and I now tape all my bags that way.

Post 14 IP   flag post
Collector Reelgee private msg quote post Address this user
@esaravo u prefer fullbacks over white? i went for the mylar2 with 2 white boards they seem to be thicker together ,but u right about them turning yellow. so far replace 2000 to mylar2 bag. i'm hoping that the mylar slow down the yellow some. By the way i have 500 silver bag i need to get rid of ,i order the wrong ones
Post 15 IP   flag post
@WndrWmn74 I'm so excited to hear all of that!! I have pictures of my Dad on the roof of the Clemson house in the same orange wig that he wore every single game since he was in school there in the 70s!! The wig is literally 50 years old! My dad died of pancreatic cancer in 2014 and Dabo came to my parents house to see him not long before he died. Some of his old fraternity brothers arranged it and he was so excited and surprised. Dabo signed the famous wig and in return my dad signed one of our original Tiger Paw Stamped 2 dollar bills and gave it to Dabo! He signed it "May The Wig Be With You"....which is the saying he had and we carry on! He liked Star Wars!!

After dad died, Dabo sent sent letters to our family and from them we learned that he kept that 2 dollar bill on him at every game that year and every game since! My mom ran into him at a prowl and growl last year and he confirmed he still keeps it on him. We were lucky enough to catch a freeze frame shot of it in a time out huddle....he keeps it in the back of the playbook! Dabo Sweeny is a genuinely good man with a big heart!! GO TIGERS!!

I TOTALLY DIDN'T INTEND TO GO INTO ALL OF THAT, SO I APOLOGIZE FOR THE NOVEL EVERYONE!! My dad is also the reason I love comics!!
Post 16 IP   flag post
I cannot thank ya'll enough for all of your help. I was definitely seeing all these techniques and materials for the first time! I've heard some of them talked about in forum conversations but had know idea until now as to what a lot the materials were apart from the normal bag and board! I now have visual aids and material names and storing techniques that I'm going to begin implementing after work today!! You guys Rock!!!šŸ˜ŠšŸ˜ŠšŸ˜ŠšŸ˜ŠšŸ˜ŠšŸ˜Š
Post 17 IP   flag post

Post 18 IP   flag post

Post 19 IP   flag post

Post 20 IP   flag post
Just some Pics of Dabo and Dad and the wig signing!!
Post 21 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davethebrave
@HulkSmash I like archival tape but will note that scotch tape is fine as usually applied - NOT to the book itselfā€¦ but to the mylar or poly bag.

The tape may degrade but it will do no harm.

Archival tape is really most important when the tape is coming in contact with the book directly.

Just want to point this out in case someone feels the need to replace hundreds of pieces of tape on their bagged booksā€¦

True. Scotch Tape and I donā€™t get along and the archival is not too sticky when itā€™s pulled apart and will stick to itself enough to keep the flap down.
Post 22 IP   flag post
Collector dfoster43 private msg quote post Address this user

? so it won't even tell me what the price USED to be ...

I can't seem to get their direct web page to load either.
Post 23 IP   flag post
You can make bulk orders directly from E Gerber. Mylites have been ā€œscarceā€ and over priced at marketplaces like Amazon and eBay.
clickable text
Post 24 IP   flag post
Collector dfoster43 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by HulkSmash
You can make bulk orders directly from E Gerber. Mylites have been ā€œscarceā€ and over priced at marketplaces like Amazon and eBay.
clickable text

Excellent!
This link worked perfectly.

Post 25 IP   flag post
600833 25 25
This topic is archived. Start new topic?