Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Collector Petroman private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weaponx606

I refuse to pay more to fast track books for my PC, to me that stinks of a money grab.

Yeah, I can understand this sentiment. Honestly I think it's a bit of a catch 22. The way book prices have been rising lately its likely that the tier for many bronze/copper keys like ASM 194, ASM 300, etc. keep rising so the longer you wait to grade them the more expensive it will become. For many books it may make sense to just shell out the extra money now just to lock in the lower tier grading fees (even with the added fast track fees).

On the other hand, grading is expensive and can leave you without your books for extended periods of time. Also, once you grade the books they take up way more space and are much heavier to transport. If you're really not looking to sell the books then maybe it is just best to keep them safely bagged, boarded and boxed for now.

It's a tough call, but with the current state of the certification companies I'm leaning toward just doing nothing for now with my PC books. For books I'll like to sell I'm contemplating the fast track route, despite the fact that it hurts the overall profit.
Post 226 IP   flag post
Collector EvolutionOfEvil private msg quote post Address this user
@flanders if I were to submit anything further I'd absolutely do 2 Modern to get my books back faster. I was semi-okay with 3-4 months but now that I'm blowing past that by a couple of months I'm definitely not entirely happy.
Post 227 IP   flag post
I'd like to say I still turned out alright, but that would be a lie. flanders private msg quote post Address this user
@EvolutionOfEvil I think that's what everyone else is thinking, which is why the standard modern tier is getting so backed up.
Post 228 IP   flag post
Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petroman

It's a tough call, but with the current state of the certification companies I'm leaning toward just doing nothing for now with my PC books. For books I'll like to sell I'm contemplating the fast track route, despite the fact that it hurts the overall profit.

I think I'm in the same boat...my only issue is there are some books I'd like to grade to sell but I have multiples of them so I would like to keep the highest grade for myself

For example I have 3 Heir to the Empire #1's - 1 is for sure worse than the other 2 but those 2 are both 9.8 contenders - maybe send in all 3 have MCS pick them up from CBCS and then have MCS ship back the 1 I want to keep?? is that a thing that can be done?
Post 229 IP   flag post
I wish I had a title. ComicNinja0215 private msg quote post Address this user
I played long game with cgc so i know everything will be okay in the end bit ots a matter of when.
Post 230 IP   flag post

Collector drmasque private msg quote post Address this user
So I dropped off some books at the April New Hampshire show. They were entered on the site as of May 1. 1 book is expanded and the rest are modern. Is this a normal turnaround at this point? I did a couple of books 2 years ago and it was no where near this long.
Post 231 IP   flag post
Have I told you about the time I dropped off 3,000 comics at SDCC? Scifinator private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by drmasque
So I dropped off some books at the April New Hampshire show. They were entered on the site as of May 1. 1 book is expanded and the rest are modern. Is this a normal turnaround at this point? I did a couple of books 2 years ago and it was no where near this long.
@drmasque - it is typical at this time, but not their normal Turn-Around-Time. CBCS got slammed due to a combination of greater acceptance with their consistent grading and better encasement, rampant comic speculation, and crossover due to cgc price increase. I suspect things will be getting better soon.
Post 232 IP   flag post
Collector Weaponx606 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

I had 4 books submitted at a con in May of 2019 and got the books in August. I think the current turnaround time is largely because CGC TaT went haywire with tons of quarantine submissions so people submitted to CBCS received instead. Now that additional increase will n submissions has caused CBCS to also have crazy TaT.
Post 233 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scifinator
Quote:
@drmasque - it is typical at this time, but not their normal Turn-Around-Time. CBCS got slammed due to a combination of greater acceptance with their consistent grading and better encasement, rampant comic speculation, and crossover sue to cgc price increase. I suspect things will be getting better soon.
Quote:
Quote:
@drmasque - it is typical at this time, but not their normal Turn-Around-Time. CBCS got slammed due to a combination of greater acceptance with their consistent grading and better encasement, rampant comic speculation, and crossover sue to cgc price increase. I suspect things will be getting better soon.
Post 234 IP   flag post
Thanks, for responding. Yeah comics are crazy right now.
Post 235 IP   flag post
Before I pack anymore books to send to Dallas I want to see what my current books come back as. I satisfied with the grades from CGC but if these books can beat my expectations then I'm going exclusive to CBCS.
Post 236 IP   flag post
No rust here... Nearmint67 private msg quote post Address this user
Hey guys, one of my submissions just went from grading to billing.
It won't let me pay the balance due.
Anyone know how long it takes to get from billing to shipping?
Thanks...
Post 237 IP   flag post
Have I told you about the time I dropped off 3,000 comics at SDCC? Scifinator private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nearmint67
Hey guys, one of my submissions just went from grading to billing.
It won't let me pay the balance due.
Anyone know how long it takes to get from billing to shipping?
Thanks...

@Nearmint67 - Could be routine processing in which an item that was screened passed the screen hence service rendered and now needs to have the service paid that wasn't originally. If you had credit card on file, there may likely be no action needed on your part. if you paid by check or CC is out of date, you may get an email of such. Sometimes, if action is needed you may be able to click a pay now button in your dashboard if that is the case. Again, you may not need to do anything, just keep an eye on dashboard.

To get to your specific question, it may be that your order is somewhere between grading and shipping. If grading is already 100% complete, you may be a few hours to few weeks from shipment being completed.
The whole labels, heat seal, encapsulation, shipping area is where much of the bottleneck is occurring so with CBCS sacrificing the updating of dashboard to focus on the areas above, like I said, you may be hours or weeks away from shipment.

Post 238 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComicNinja0215
Before I pack anymore books to send to Dallas I want to see what my current books come back as. I satisfied with the grades from CGC but if these books can beat my expectations then I'm going exclusive to CBCS.

@ComicNinja0215 - Okayyy, "beat expectations" because you are having CBCS press? Perhaps. Many will agree with me that CBCS pressing is superior to that of cgc. "Beat expectations" because CBCS will grade easier or more leniently? Not gonna happen and I am convinced of quite the opposite for the past several years. But that is a discussion for another thread.
Post 239 IP   flag post
@Scifinator I have a good idea what they might come back as but I don't want get my hopes up. I did that with my first submission where I should have opted for a screen. I screened both of these books and it looks like they passed so I hope mr. Rickets did a good with both of them. I see what you're saying about being leienent. To my mind CBCS was a little more strict on their grading. With that in mind,grading should be the primary factor here. You send books in to get the best grade possible, not the grade you want.
Post 240 IP   flag post
Collector Supertom private msg quote post Address this user
@Scifinator I forget where I read this but I thought that once they checked in the package they'd review the submission and give you the choice to split it into two shipment or keep everything together. That may still be the case but I'm going on 6 weeks now and the books haven't even been checked in. Going by other posts I should be getting an email soon... I hope.
Post 241 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComicNinja0215
@Scifinator I have a good idea what they might come back as but I don't want get my hopes up. I did that with my first submission where I should have opted for a screen. I screened both of these books and it looks like they passed so I hope mr. Rickets did a good with both of them. I see what you're saying about being leienent. To my mind CBCS was a little more strict on their grading. With that in mind,grading should be the primary factor here. You send books in to get the best grade possible, not the grade you want.

@ComicNinja0215 - I send books in for protective encasement and the most accurate grade.
If I wanted the "best grade", I would send to **X or cgc.

But truth be told, I do have quite few comics pressed by CBCS as I do want the highest accurate grade possible.

to @sborock @stevericketts & CBCS team for making that possible and economically feasible.
Post 242 IP   flag post
Quote:
I send books in for protective encasement and the most accurate grade.
If I wanted the "best grade", I would send to **X or cgc.

From a purist perspective I think you're right, we all should want the most accurate grade and really, between CGC and CBCS you would hope for a large degree of consistency on grades.

But from a graded book value perspective I know I will take a 9.8 from CGC vs. a 9.6 from CBCS any day of the week. From the sale data I've seen on Ebay over the years the CGC books already sell at a premium to CBCS. This is somewhat made up by the lower CBCS costs, but if the grades from CBCS were to come out consistently lower than CGC grades, especially when you are talking modern books with 9.8 vs. 9.6, then there is no way I'd take the lower CBCS grade. The difference between sales of 9.8 over 9.6 is normally 100%, and many times it can be much higher than that. Just look at recent ASM 300 sales. 9.6 is around $2000, 9.8 $6000+. Crazy numbers, I know, but I'll take the 9.8 please.
Post 243 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supertom
@Scifinator I forget where I read this but I thought that once they checked in the package they'd review the submission and give you the choice to split it into two shipment or keep everything together. That may still be the case but I'm going on 6 weeks now and the books haven't even been checked in. Going by other posts I should be getting an email soon... I hope.

@Supertom - maybe a long time ago, in a reality far far away, (sorry, just did the disney Star Wars new attractions finally this week end),

But, no, my understanding is that they are not splitting submissions. If you have one submission with both Quickstream or higher/faster service mixed with a lower/slower service your entire submission be shipped back with the lower/slower service is completed. Likewise if your single submission has both re-holder and regular grading or Press and non-Press, your submission will be shipped back at the longer of the TAT's. If I am wrong, a Mod or CBCS staffer, can blast me and feed me to the Sarlac.

That said, if one wants to save on shipping to CBCS, one can send multiple submissions in the same larger box. I have done this. As an example, three separate submission invoices, one with only Rapid level, one with only Expanded level, and one with only Modern level comics. CBCS separated the clearly marked sub-packages and I received each back at varying times in accordance with each submission level.
Post 244 IP   flag post
@Scifinator that makes sense. Since I got my cgc books back I said "why don't I just use them?" Ultimately I don't want to over pay for books that might not be as accurate as they seem . Plus, I get to save fifty plus bucks sending them to Dallas.
Post 245 IP   flag post
Quote:

That said, if one wants to save on shipping to CBCS, one can send multiple submissions in the same larger box. I have done this. As an example, three separate submission invoices, one with only Rapid level, one with only Expanded level, and one with only Modern level comics. CBCS separated the clearly marked sub-packages and I received each back at varying times in accordance with each submission level.

That's good to know! Thank you. Although that wouldn't fix the problem of waiting several weeks for them to open the box. If my books were checked in today, at best my 2-day modern would be back in 8 weeks.

I wish they'd just get rid of the tiers and fast passes all together. Charge more for older/expensive books, but just grade everything as it comes in and keep product moving out the door in the order it came in. I'd bet they have dedicated staff that spend most of their days just sorting through and splitting up orders. In my head I'm picturing a small storage room of fast passes and high dollar books, and then a Wall-E-esque mountain of modern and expanded submissions stored in a nearby airplane hangar.

I'll go back to my restaurant analogy I used earlier. The tiers would be like if the kitchen prioritized all chicken entrees over cheeseburgers. Their goal is to get people seated, fed, and out the door as quickly as possible. If you only have so many cooks, servers, and tables, then at some point you have to start turning people away at the door. I understand it's a scary thing to turn away business, but the way to gain market share over CGC isn't to simply grade more books, but to provide a far superior service. With as poorly as CGC operates it's like they're practically begging to be overthrown. The CBCS cases, graders notes, and consistent grading are great of course, but peace of mind, transparency, and communication can go a long way in creating a loyal customer base.
Post 246 IP   flag post
Collector Cardzguy private msg quote post Address this user
I have an order received in on May 9th which is still showing as processing. Paid in full 2 months ago. Modern tier, regular, no pressing or labels. Turnaround time is supposed to be 17 weeks, I am now at week 20.
Post 247 IP   flag post
Quote:
Although that wouldn't fix the problem of waiting several weeks for them to open the box.

@Supertom - Actually, they are opening boxes within a day or so of delivery and your submission(s) are checked in accordingly to their internal system. They are not taking the extra time to update the external "dashboard" system which we are able to view.
Post 248 IP   flag post
Collector Cbarnett316 private msg quote post Address this user
Dropped off at a show for Grading april 10th.

Lost count of the weeks.
Post 249 IP   flag post
Collector PhantomStranger271 private msg quote post Address this user
12 Modern, grading and pressing. Arrived on April 6th. Pressed about 2 weeks ago. Currently waiting for order to move to grading.

I think 26 weeks at this point.
Post 250 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomStranger271
12 Modern, grading and pressing. Arrived on April 6th. Pressed about 2 weeks ago. Currently waiting for order to move to grading.

I think 26 weeks at this point.
@PhantomStranger271 with pressing, the combined estimate is appx 36 weeks, so looks like you are about a month outside the estimated TAT.
Post 251 IP   flag post
@Scifinator I'm sure I'm over simplifying this, but it seems crazy to open the package and not scan the barcode on the submission form.
Post 252 IP   flag post
Quote:
@Scifinator I'm sure I'm over simplifying this, but it seems crazy to open the package and not scan the barcode on the submission form.

I would assume that its more than just opening the box, they really need to verify that the books on the submission form match the books that are in the box. Otherwise, if there is a discrepancy found when they go to grading (months later) the could be accused of losing books, etc. From a sheer book storage perspective I can also understand why they would open boxes as there tends to be a large amount of packing material involved, so opening the boxes does cut down on warehousing needs. But hey, there is a lot of crazy stuff going on in the graded comic book industry and these companies are experiencing explosive growth, so who the heck knows what is really going on?
Post 253 IP   flag post
I AM... THE Bat-Manuel MurrayC private msg quote post Address this user
Today marks six months (26 weeks) for my second batch which is still in the "grading" stage.

My first batch was 21 weeks (from the moment I submitted online to the moment it arrived at my front door)
Post 254 IP   flag post
Hoping mine would change over to shipping this week, guess there's still time.
Post 255 IP   flag post
614861 999 30