Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Movies TelevisionPop Culture

All Hail the King15586

Collector jgzachary13 private msg quote post Address this user
Just saw the Disney+ One Shot teasing the Ten Rings. Will this be the norm for upcoming movies?
Post 1 IP   flag post
You do know that the new guy brings the donuts, right? DWeeB1967 private msg quote post Address this user
I'm not sure I follow.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector Chewy private msg quote post Address this user
this one shot has been out since Thor 2. they just released it because Ben Kinglsey is back in Shang Chi and they want to explain his ties to the current and real mandarin
Post 3 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR dielinfinite private msg quote post Address this user
@jgzachary13 There have been 5 other one-shots so far, the last one being All Hail the King which teased the real Mandarin after Iron Man3.

Agent Carter is now considered non-canon since the tv-show it spun off retconned it for the most part

The rest mostly deal with minor SHIELD agents interacting with major items between movies
Post 4 IP   flag post
@dielinfinite I presume you mean the Agents of SHIELD television show, which I thought did well at tying into the movies (although you may be talking about something else). Phase 4 really leaped into television tie-ins with big movie setup, but this phase just seems like more material has developed across non-movie platforms to continue the next storyline. Makes sense, as you mention, tying in the real Mandarin. Do we know if Disney changed their approach due to COVID or did they always have this plan to tackle storytelling with more non-movie content (e.g., utilizing the Disney+ platform)?
Post 5 IP   flag post
I’m not sure which part you took as a reference to the Agents of Shield TV series but that’s not what I was referring to. Like All Hail The King, each other One-Shot was just a short film set around other major film entries and released on the home video releases for some of the films. The last one so far was All Hail the King released on the home video of Thor: The Dark World

I believe Phil Coulson, who would later appear in Agents of Shield, did appear in one or two, but these aren’t part of that show and other Shield Agents unrelated to the show would also appear in the one-shots

Post 6 IP   flag post
@dielinfinite I don’t know why, but I do not remember these. I’ve been enthralled in the series since the first movie, but must have missed these. Thanks!
Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector dfoster43 private msg quote post Address this user
I've got them all, those one-shots and watched them as they were released, and I always understood AoS to absolutely be canon.

Now, I never heard Agent Carter (the series) was NOT, but it wouldn't upset me.
Since the only real tie-in would be bits of Wonder Woman(s) and Red Skull references from CA1 etc. and it happened so long ago (Howard Stark and Jarvis and all that evolution notwithstanding) I guess they could decree it non-canon but it doesn't make sense to me, I see nothing wrong with it fitting in just as it is.

But Agents, I'm a religious watcher/rewatcher of that series and they went to great lengths to follow timelines, references, etc. to make sure that it was canon with the MCU movies as they came out prior to the AoS show and during it's run. I've never seen anything official about AoS not being canon, but I sure hope it is, it makes everything make sense. They reference the Avengers alien attack and devastation, the trouble with Gods (Loki, Thor), Coulson's death/rebirth, Nick Fury, the Krull, side references to androids (vision & Ultron) other heroes and direct plot tie-ins to Inhumans, Defenders, Punisher (of course), Ghost Rider, the Darkhold, "hell's kitchen" hero, so I really would hate for Disney or whatever to make all that non-canon.

Then again I've gone through a lot of recent traumatic change in my life and maybe the thought of something like that is making me overreact LOL
Post 8 IP   flag post
@dfoster43 Agent Carter, the Marvel One-Shot, is considered non-Canon because Agent Carter, the series, retcons and fleshes out that story

Yes Agents of Shield is canon
Post 9 IP   flag post
Collector dfoster43 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by dielinfinite
@dfoster43 Agent Carter, the Marvel One-Shot, is considered non-Canon because Agent Carter, the series, retcons and fleshes out that story

Ah, okay @dielinfinite i misunderstood what you were saying.
thanks!
Post 10 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
Are these on Disney+, or just YouTube?
Post 11 IP   flag post
@EbayMafia I imagine if they have All Hail The King that they should have the rest on Disney+ as well.

Youtube doesn’t seem to have them all, just clips, at least just in the cursory search I did
Post 12 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
@dielinfinite Just watched All Hail The King on Disney+. It made me nostalgic for the good old days. Really fun and clever. I will try to find the others.
Post 13 IP   flag post
Collector Puckster private msg quote post Address this user
So when I first saw the title to this thread, I thought it was some tribute to Jack Kirby for his birthday.

@dielinfinite As far as AoS being canon, I believe it was, but everything points that they have since erased it as such. There are several indicators. One being that, though AoS is not available on Disney+ in the US yet, in the countries that it is available it was moved to the "Legacy" (non-canon) section. Secondly, in Wandavision, (spoilers) they indicate that Agatha has been in possession of the Darkhold for some time. However, AoS did an entire storyline dealing with the Darkhold.
Having said all that, I would like to be wrong in this case as I would like to see AoS as being canon.
Post 14 IP   flag post
@Puckster Well, apparently the canonicity of the TV shows is one big gray area at the moment with people seeming to argue over who even gets to decide what is canon and people’s changing statements over time.

Personally I think a multi-layered canon system like Star Wars used to have would be a better idea than simply excising everything.

I haven’t seen any of the Disney+ shows yet but I think the MCU is a more interesting place if it included the tv shows than if it didn’t, so I’ll probably just stick to my own head canon going forward.
Post 15 IP   flag post
PLOD theCapraAegagrus private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by dielinfinite

It isn't. It never has been.
Post 16 IP   flag post
600905 16 16
This topic is archived. Start new topic?