Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Certified Comics For SaleFor SaleQuestionsRaw Comics For SaleWant to Buy

Absolute Carnage #1 1:500 Virgin General Question15562

Collector hogan36 private msg quote post Address this user
When Absolute Carnage #1 1:500 Virgin comic came out, it was running for the price of $1,800.00 on Golden Apple Comics. I purchased 4 of them in 2019 (when they first came out) at $1,800 a book. I've had mines slabbed and graded. Even the ones that are slabbed and graded on eBay are only being sold for $600-$700 right now. If I planned to sell mine on eBay, I would have to lower my price and take a major loss. Also, you can see some comic sites have dropped the price on the comics. Right now, Midtown Comics has the comic priced at $250.00. That kind of sucks. You would think those books should have stayed at a high premium like when they first came out. Why is that? I guess I can say, "Welcome to the comic world."
You win some and lose some. I guess this time I lost.
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector Sebastsk8 private msg quote post Address this user
A lot of high ratio variants are hot when they first come out and then die down. Happens on a lot of books.

The only absolute carnage book I've really seen go pretty high and stay fairly high is the red blank variant. I had a chance to buy a few at 120 a piece and passed it up. Immediately went to like 250-300 a piece and have stayed there since. 😭
Post 2 IP   flag post
@Sebastsk8 Yeah, I purchased 5 of them as well and paid pretty good penny for them at the time. I think I paid about $120 a piece for mine as well. I've completed 4 Whole Absolute Carnage #1 sets. I want to send them all in to get graded. I've spent so much money that I'm not sure what to do. It kind of upsets me. When/ if a movie comes out, do you think it will ever kick back up in price? Or does it depend on who the movies focuses on?
Post 3 IP   flag post
Venom 2 may increase value of some issues a little, and if a knull movie ever comes out that may help a little as well, but getting those ratios back up that high most likely won't happen.
Post 4 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR dielinfinite private msg quote post Address this user
@hogan36 Comic values vary on a lot factors but hyped comics are almost always worth the most immediately after they are released as people scramble over each other trying to get a copy and vendors are taking advantage of buyer excitement.

But people are not excited for the same thing forever, especially if it is one of a dozen (or more) covers of the same book. The amount of money they are willing to spend on the book drops as their attention turns elsewhere.

If you are buying multiple copies of a hot book and hope to make a profit then you had better plan on reselling quickly. Yes some books might increase in value over time but those are few and far between so holding on to a book is always a risk. One in the hand worth two in the bush and all that.

Those are the risks of any venture for profit.
Post 5 IP   flag post
@Sebastsk8 I'm doomed! Well there goes my money!
Post 6 IP   flag post
I forget how many covers they even had for absolute 1...somewhere around 30?
Post 7 IP   flag post
@hogan36 might as well get them graded though, maybe you'll luck out and get a 9.9 or something.
Post 8 IP   flag post
@Sebastsk8 Yes. 30+ covers for Absolute Carnage #1
Post 9 IP   flag post
@dielinfinite Yeah, I can go along with that.
Post 10 IP   flag post
@Sebastsk8 Yeah when I get my money together I'll send them in because I want to get them signed as well. Hopefully they work a good deal out.
Post 11 IP   flag post
@Sebastsk8 I already have some signed and not graded. Once CBCS verifies and give you a yellow label instead of a pink label, I think that'll put them at the top of the game. Unless another business is doing it that way already. They need to take that pink label off.
Post 12 IP   flag post
@hogan36 The red label has been discontinued for over a year now
Post 13 IP   flag post
@dielinfinite So if you already have a signed book that CBCS can verify the signature on, what label do they give you?
Post 14 IP   flag post
I'd like to say I still turned out alright, but that would be a lie. flanders private msg quote post Address this user
You have to put in perspective that for $1800 in 2019 you could've purchased tens of thousands of other comics that are far more significant for that price with established characters and print runs that happened to be lower at the time because of independent publishers or less interest in the characters. Always stay away from manufactured rarity in comics, there is far too high a risk short term and proven lack of interest and a significant drop in market value long term. I don't think anything of significance happens in that issue and it's listed for around $350 in a CGC 9.8. Unfortunately you're just going to have to take a massive loss, whether you take that loss now or later, it's going to happen eventually. It's unlikely that book will ever increase in value. If you have other books to sell and you have to report them as income on your tax return, or you are selling other assets or stock this year, you might as well try to sell them and take the loss. If not, wait until next year where you'll have to report them as income due to changes in tax loss to offset any other income taxes you have.

Also, never give business to Golden Apple again. They're known for inflating prices of everything.
Post 15 IP   flag post
Collector Supermole private msg quote post Address this user
This is exactly why I dislike the current state of variant comics so much. I will get them when they are super cheap, or as a mystery box but never go out of my way to buy them.
Post 16 IP   flag post
@hogan36 Witnessed and Verified signatures both get yellow labels now.
Post 17 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by flanders
You have to put in perspective that for $1800 in 2019 you could've purchased tens of thousands of other comics that are far more significant for that price with established characters and print runs that happened to be lower at the time because of independent publishers or less interest in the characters.

It’s actually worse than that. He purchased 4 copies at $1800 each, which could have gone to a prime key book in decent condition that would’ve appreciated significantly, if not in multiples of its original value, since 2019
Post 18 IP   flag post
@dielinfinite Great! I’ll be sending my books in before they change their mind. Hopefully I get a 9.8 because I have a lot of books that they tell me were printed on cheap paper which won’t hurt the grading. I want to get all 4 Complete Sets of Absolute Carnage #1 graded.
Post 19 IP   flag post
I'd like to say I still turned out alright, but that would be a lie. flanders private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by dielinfinite
Quote:
You have to put in perspective that for $1800 in 2019 you could've purchased tens of thousands of other comics that are far more significant for that price with established characters and print runs that happened to be lower at the time because of independent publishers or less interest in the characters.

It’s actually worse than that. He purchased 4 copies at $1800 each, which could have gone to a prime key book in decent condition that would’ve appreciated significantly, if not in multiples of its original value, since 2019

I'm aware. I didn't think it was possible to lose money selling comics as I've had a lot of success the past few years. This makes me want to curl up in the fetal position and cry.
Post 20 IP   flag post
@flanders Thanks for the heads up! You are right! I noticed that.
Post 21 IP   flag post
Not trying to be an ass since February 12, 2020. HulkSmash private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebastsk8
Quote:
Originally Posted by hogan36
@Sebastsk8 Yes. 30+ covers for Absolute Carnage #1

36 + 2nd, 3rd, 4th, & 5th print covers
Post 22 IP   flag post
" . " Davethebrave private msg quote post Address this user
Any time something is purchased primarily to make $ in the short term (months to a few years), it is likely others are doing the same. If so, a big part of the “demand” is false demand and will go away.

Think of it as a “soft” ponzi.

Variant spec, MCU spec, etc is all doomed to fail just like pokemon cards and “limited edition” modern sports cards. Longer list of course than just the above.

If you enjoyed the process think of the $ as entertainment expense. If you “thought” you were investing consider it a moderately priced education and don’t repeat the same mistake. If it was gambling then you win some / you lose some and chalk it up to entertainment as well…
Post 23 IP   flag post
@flanders I can feel your pain because I’m crying now 😢
Post 24 IP   flag post
@HulkSmash To be honest, when I bought my first book, I was lurking around and somehow ended up on third eye comics.com. I tumbled upon this post and read this. That’s what made me interested in buying all of the Absolute Carnage #1 books. Also, leagueofcomicgeeks.com lists what all books goes to the complete set that I’ve collected/completed as well.

Post 25 IP   flag post
Have I told you about the time I dropped off 3,000 comics at SDCC? Scifinator private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

@Sebastsk8 - I had seen an absolute cover and I thought... wow, that is a cool cover maybe I should pick up before the Carnage movie... Then, I realized that just about every artist on payroll had a variant and I thought...Nope, not prudent, not gonna doit.
Post 26 IP   flag post
Quote:
I'm aware. I didn't think it was possible to lose money selling comics as I've had a lot of success the past few years. This makes me want to curl up in the fetal position and cry.

Post 27 IP   flag post
@Scifinator I'd still like to get a red blank for a carnage sketch, but not at 300 bucks 😂
Post 28 IP   flag post
Looking over the variants I guess a couple others have held value or went up a little. The premiere variant I bought for like 10 bucks. Have that signed by cates, stegman and michelinie so far.

They're going for about 25 now raw. I have mine just for PC because I like the cover though
Post 29 IP   flag post
Not trying to be an ass since February 12, 2020. HulkSmash private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Looking over the variants I guess a couple others have held value or went up a little. The premiere variant I bought for like 10 bucks. Have that signed by cates, stegman and michelinie so far.

They're going for about 25 now raw. I have mine just for PC because I like the cover though
I picked up the Bagley “hidden gem” for $30 and the Premier for $10-$15. Last year I sold the Premier 9.8 for $80 and the “hidden gem” 9.8 for $130. Not bad and then I picked up a lot of 4 of the Iron Man, carnage, Thor, and guardians of the galaxy premier covers for $20 😂
Post 30 IP   flag post
601453 36 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?