Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Bronze AgeComics Modern AgePop CultureQuestions

What's your favorite?15548

Have I told you about the time I dropped off 3,000 comics at SDCC? Scifinator private msg quote post Address this user
I like SciFi. I like comics.
I wanted to do an informal SciFi Comic poll. Of these TV/Movie series, which of the 4 series did/do you like the best, and which of the 5 covers do you like the best? Disregard the autograph. I listed in alphabetical order which may or may not be my choices.

Post 1 IP   flag post
Please continue to ignore anything I post. southerncross private msg quote post Address this user
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector Rafel private msg quote post Address this user
STAR WARS #1 (1977 issue)
Post 3 IP   flag post
Have I told you about the time I dropped off 3,000 comics at SDCC? Scifinator private msg quote post Address this user
@southerncross - Don't own those, so they are not in my poll.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector Bakersman private msg quote post Address this user
BSG but the modern one if that's ok
Post 5 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
Battlestar Galactica has been my favorite ever since the first episode aired. We would videotape them on one of the early top-loading VCR's with cassettes that cost $25 blank (in the 70's)and held 3 hours. The sets, costumes, music and production quality are still amazing in my opinion. Got to go to the Universal Studios BSG ride around 1980 and we still have pictures with a disposable camera that cost a ton to develop.
The Star Wars Annual 1 I read like 3-4 times as a kid, a great bargain at 75 cents.
For best cover I have to go with Star Wars 1 with the Green Darth Vader helmet.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Johnny, where are your buccaneers?
Johnny: Under my buccan hat.
Gotlift private msg quote post Address this user
Series
#1… Star Wars
#2… Star Trek
#3… Battle Star Galactica
#4… Babylon 5
Best cover
Star Wars #1.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector Reelgee private msg quote post Address this user
well for me its a three way tie with star trek,star wars,Battlestar, the tv shows, trek/battlestar were from different eras and were great in each one. but battlestar was consider a knock off of star wars in our hood.Now when it comes to the movies trilogy, wars,trek i'll go with star trek death of spock was better than luke finding out vader his daddy. mannn you got light sabers,storm troopers,cyylons,the enterpise. but i guess when it comes down to it nobody can top james t. kirk lol!!!space 1999,daleks was great ones also,hard as hell to get the canada shows with the rabbit ears
Post 8 IP   flag post
Collector Reelgee private msg quote post Address this user
lol i forgot best cover is star wars #1
Post 9 IP   flag post
" . " Davethebrave private msg quote post Address this user
Best series? Babylon 5.

Since others elaborated… have watched all the series. B5 really stands apart overall even if Trek TOS was the trail blazer. DS9 is solid too but of course borrowed from B5. JMS pitched the B5 concept to Paramount, which I think was the first multi-year, fully fleshed out story arc on TV. Paramount then launched DS9… it is definitely the case they borrowed some ideas, just how much is unclear.

B5 is incredibly well written, with an interesting story line that stands up to rewatching and time and the original FX were good (for its time considering budgets)… too bad they lost the master tapes and any broadcasts / DVDs / Bluray etc today are lower fidelity… really unfortunate. So B5 > ST > SW > BG

Best cover? Star Wars 1
Post 10 IP   flag post
Moderator Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
Best series - Star Trek (watching DS9 right now)
Best cover - BSG
Post 11 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
For best series I would probably go with Star Trek. I loved the first three Star Wars movies when they came out, but was not impressed with the rest of them. I did like the Mandolorian series on Disney. And for cheesy TV sci-fi, how about Buck Rodgers (I know it’s not on your list).

Best cover is tough. I guess Star Wars #1 because it’s so iconic. But the book came out before the movie, so the artists didn’t really know what the characters would look like. They don’t really look right (besides Vader being green, which was already mentioned, what’s up with Leia?).
Post 12 IP   flag post
I haven't aired it out. It's part of the provenance. Galen130 private msg quote post Address this user
BSG for me. I wish I had one for my personal collection. 🤙
Post 13 IP   flag post
would be nice to have a snugger fit. Sigur_Ros private msg quote post Address this user
Star Wars.
Star Wars 1.

Not just my favorite series and cover shown, but the connection I have to it as the first comic I bought as a teen, as a collector, off the spinner rack at the corner store.
Post 14 IP   flag post
Collector Darkseid_of_town private msg quote post Address this user
I would have to tie between BSG and Star trek, and relegate the plagarized storyline and characters of Star wars to the garbage bin mostly. Loved star wars the original as a wide eyed sixth grade student, but nowdays knowing how it was copied and swiped, from so many who never were given credit, yeah no thanks.Babylon 5 was alright....I considered it medium.....

I collect none of these books so no dog in that race at all. Never have, and never will
Post 15 IP   flag post
I will chime in now.

Favorite cover - Star Wars Annual 1 - Maybe it is the GSX #1 style of large white background, not sure, it just pops for me.

Favorite series - tough but probably Babylon 5. I was designed and meant as an ongoing 5 year arc and it just worked.
Star Trek is a close second for me.
BSG's
Then Star Wars. I love most Star Wars up until The Force Awakens, then it is hit or miss. Really wish they would have gone the New Jedi Order arc.
Post 16 IP   flag post
Collector lawguy1977 private msg quote post Address this user
@Scifinator Would have loved to see the New Jedi Order adapted.

As for me, it's always been Star Wars. Seeing ESB in the movie theater is one of my first memories, and I've seen the original trilogy countless times. Personally, I liked Force Awakens and Last Jedi but thought Rise of Skywalker was a trainwreck and soured the others for me. I love The Mandalorian.

As for covers, gotta go with Star Wars 1.
Post 17 IP   flag post
Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
TV/Movies

Star Trek (Original,TNG, Voyager and DS9 - none of the new)
Star Wars (Episode IV, V and VI - no others exist Mandolorian is ok but not as good as the other shoes listed)
Babylon 5 - loved it
Battle Star Galactica - the new one I think was better than the 70's show (70's still fin to watch though)

Hard to say for cover - I have all of these....maybe SW Annual 1 and Babylon 5??
Post 18 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatKomics
TV/Movies

Star Trek (Original,TNG, Voyager and DS9 - none of the new)
Star Wars (Episode IV, V and VI - no others exist Mandolorian is ok but not as good as the other shoes listed)
Babylon 5 - loved it
Battle Star Galactica - the new one I think was better than the 70's show (70's still fin to watch though)

Hard to say for cover - I have all of these....maybe SW Annual 1 and Babylon 5??
@KatKomics - for secondary cover, it is a close tie for me between the floating heads Star Trek and the B5

"Personally, I liked Force Awakens and Last Jedi but thought Rise of Skywalker was a trainwreck and soured the others for me." - @lawguy1977 - LOL For me, Force Awakens was ehh, The Last Jedi was horrendous, and Rise of Skywalker was task bit by trying to correct the wrong that was Last Jedi. Rogue One and Solo I loved, but people were so turned off by Last Jedi, Solo completely died at the box office.

Mando rocks.
Post 19 IP   flag post
Collector michaelekrupp private msg quote post Address this user
I am not seeing any love here for classic Dr. Who?!? A little surprising. Out of the choices given I would go: Star Trek (original series), Star Wars (original three) and then Battle Star Galactica. Never watched Babylon 5.
Post 20 IP   flag post
@michaelekrupp - You really should see B5. It is something wonderful. I have to admit that the end got a little choppy as the series was cancelled and re-picked up to complete the arc.
Post 21 IP   flag post
would be nice to have a snugger fit. Sigur_Ros private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelekrupp
I am not seeing any love here for classic Dr. Who?!? A little surprising. Out of the choices given I would go: Star Trek (original series), Star Wars (original three) and then Battle Star Galactica. Never watched Babylon 5.

Sorry. I've seen exactly as many episodes of Dr Who as I have of Star Trek, Battlestar Galactica and Babylon 5 combined.

Zero.
Post 22 IP   flag post
Dr. Who?

Sorry, I couldn't help it.
Post 23 IP   flag post
Collector michaelekrupp private msg quote post Address this user
@Scifinator I have heard good things about it. Somehow I am sure it is on one or another of the streaming services. I will check it out next time I am looking for a new show to watch.
Post 24 IP   flag post
PLOD theCapraAegagrus private msg quote post Address this user
Star Wars AINEC.
Post 25 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelekrupp
@Scifinator I have heard good things about it. Somehow I am sure it is on one or another of the streaming services. I will check it out next time I am looking for a new show to watch.

Two things about watching B5 today:
1) First few episodes require the typical “actors finding their reigns” forgiveness.
2) Tragedy has struck this show in more ways than one… most of the cast died unusually young (after the series ended) but also (and more relevant here) there were data storage and conversion issues - the short of which was the CGI quality in modern formats and in rebroadcasts was been severely reduced. Think pixelation where it was originally hi-res.

It is unfortunate but it requires a bit more effort than it should. It is still worth it for the best story of any sci fi series… but is not how the show was originally presented in the 90s
Post 26 IP   flag post
@Scifinator you inspired me to grab a copy of B5 #1

Thanks!
Post 27 IP   flag post

Post 28 IP   flag post
Captain Accident the420bandito private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse_O
Best series - Star Trek (watching DS9 right now)
Best cover - BSG

I just finished rewatching DS9 about 6 months ago. Soooo good.

Post 29 IP   flag post
Pictures? We don't need no stinking pictures. brysb private msg quote post Address this user
STAR TREK
Post 30 IP   flag post
600858 30 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?