Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS GradedComics Modern Age

CBCS versus CGC - your best pitch15516

Collector ERB_in_CLT private msg quote post Address this user
I currently have the 6 titles that make up the adaptation of The Empire Strikes Back being pressed. I am then going to get them slabbed.

(check out @ comix4cheap on IG... he does great pressing and has a lot of great claim sales and live auctions)

Aesthetically, I like the CBCS slabs a bit better. But I do know that CGC has a bit of an edge on resale, but I honestly don't see a scenario where I sell (all-time favorite movie ).

Anything else I should be considering? Would love thoughts and comments. Thanks!

Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector Silversorrow private msg quote post Address this user
If your not going to sell them then any edge on resale is a non issue. Go with the better looking one as the only thing that matters at that point is how good it looks in your collection every time you look at it.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Thank you sir. May I have another? Siggy private msg quote post Address this user
What's wrong with how they look now?
Post 3 IP   flag post
Have I told you about the time I dropped off 3,000 comics at SDCC? Scifinator private msg quote post Address this user
Having them protected within a CBCS encasement is a great option. So if a quick / current resale is not a factor, here are some thoughts:

1) CBCS encasements are not likely to have newton rings. Even the most recent cgc slabs still have this as a problem though not as bad as in the past.

2) CBCS has a much more consistent and accurate adherence to grading. If I buy a CBCS graded book online, I am confident in what I will receive. Unfortunately I cannot say the same for cgc.

3) Savings. You will likely pay a lot less for your comics to be graded by CBCS when all fees and shipping are combined.

4) From a long term perspective, while there may be a resale gap currently, that may not be the case in the future. I believe that wider use and acceptance of CBCS by cgc stalwarts is coming due to both price increases and deteriorated accuracy and quality standards. Further, even now, if one is patient, selling a CBCS encased comic can and does garner a similar sales price. I have personally sold several comics that have garnered record or near record price in grade.

5) CBCS encased comics are typically much more secure and stable with the inner well. Unfortunately, there can be a lot of play within the cgc encasements which can lead to damage.

Now comes the hare from the other side.

Cheers
Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector 11bravo private msg quote post Address this user
I'm totally pissed at cgc i had my solar man of the atom #10 only thing wrong with it on grading notes fingerprints! I know its a black cover but that should not be because every comic has fingerprints on them! So it graded at 9.4!
Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector sckao private msg quote post Address this user
I think fingerprints are removable with cleaning (as part of the pressing service).
Post 6 IP   flag post
Collector 11bravo private msg quote post Address this user
I had it pressed!
Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector Drogio private msg quote post Address this user
@ERB_in_CLT you realize where you are, right? Are you asking this same question over at CGC forums?

Unless it’s a flip, CBCS. Lower Cost, (little) faster TaT, as rigid a case w/o the risk of Nrings, consistent grading and label does not distract from the book itself.

CGC is only for maximum re-sale in my mind. And with price hikes and long TATs at CGC it might push enough to Tey CBcS the gap could close as time goes on.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Have I told you about the time I dropped off 3,000 comics at SDCC? Scifinator private msg quote post Address this user
@11bravo - i heard a lot of people have been less than impressed with cgc clean & press. Maybe send to CBCS with a press screen. They may be able to remove and if not, it is just $5 for the screen plus shipping.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Collector Belarak private msg quote post Address this user
The CGC is worth more in retail is debatable.

https://forum.cbcscomics.com/topic/15074/page/1/cbcs-vs-cgc-a-straight-flipping-for-profit-only-comparison/#3

Plus I agree with Scfiinator:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scifinator
Having them protected within a CBCS encasement is a great option. So if a quick / current resale is not a factor, here are some thoughts:

You have to decide what you want your prized comics to be preserved in. If you like the CGC case better, use them. You can come on this site where most people are biased to CBCS or you can go to CGC's forum and they'll tell you how much better their cases are. Ultimately you have to decide what YOU prefer.

I personally prefer the CBCS cases.
Post 10 IP   flag post
You can't get good wood on the ball every time. HotKeyComics private msg quote post Address this user
If you take the labels off and give the empty cases to anyone to evaluate, I can almost promise you they will pick the CBCS one every time.
Post 11 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by HotKeyComics
If you take the labels off and give the empty cases to anyone to evaluate, I can almost promise you they will pick the CBCS one every time.

I like that idea as a general comparison. Comparing the books and slabs without knowing the labels.
Post 12 IP   flag post
Collector Haljordanfan private msg quote post Address this user
@HotKeyComics - But we’re not taking the books out. It’s witty and correct in certain eyes, but in the world of graded books, that little number in the top corner means everything.
Post 13 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
I 100% prefer CBCS everything over CGC anything and this isn't a bias for me, it's my conclusion based on information I acquired using both companies. Many on this forum can probably say the same.

The reality, in my opinion, is that most collectors don't care about labels and cases. Most collectors are using different criteria when choosing who their grader will be.

I know many here believe the idea that CGC has a higher resale value over CBCS to be debatable. I am one of those people. But what's not debatable is that a very high, significant percentage of collectors do believe this...emphatically. I am convinced this is why CGC maintaines a chokehold on the market. The collectors "in the know" or who care about cases and labels and grading and the hobby choose CBCS....the ones that don't care about those things or truly believe CGC gets more money in resale choose CGC. Money (usually) trumps everything...especially in a hobby where values seem to be so high and important to collectors.
Post 14 IP   flag post
Collector Odinson2000 private msg quote post Address this user
I love CBCS and will always use them, but to me, you won’t see things change until the majority of major auctions - HA, CC, CL - don’t just have some CBCS, they’re dominated by them.

As long as those major auctions are 90% CGC, it will be very hard for CBCS to look like the better choice.
Post 15 IP   flag post
" . " Davethebrave private msg quote post Address this user
In my humble opinion it doesn’t matter. Ford or GM. BMW or Mercedes. Porsche or Ferrari.

There are differences but at the end of the day it comes down to what model you choose and if pre-owned, the diligence you do and what you negotiate.

I do not believe there is systematic over or under grading at either company. This is based on what I have seen directly and also what I have seen critiqued on both boards.

I do believe that CBCS may present a bit more value on the secondary market but I also believe over time that gap will close. So for a long term “original slabber” they should likely not worry about any market discount today.

My beliefs above are informed beliefs and I don’t think I hold any strong bias either way. The one key differentiator for me with CBCS is the ability to verify signatures. It isn’t a huge deal to me personally as I am not a big signed book collector but I do like that option.
Post 16 IP   flag post
@Davethebrave

Ford.
Mercedes
Ferrari
Post 17 IP   flag post
Collector Abiethefishman private msg quote post Address this user
CGC stole my copy of Giant Size X-men #1 and spent years arguing with me over how much they should pay. It's no contest.
Post 18 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
Pick who you want and to hell with the rest.
Post 19 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davethebrave
In my humble opinion it doesn’t matter. Ford or GM. BMW or Mercedes. Porsche or Ferrari.

There are differences but at the end of the day it comes down to what model you choose and if pre-owned, the diligence you do and what you negotiate.

I do not believe there is systematic over or under grading at either company. This is based on what I have seen directly and also what I have seen critiqued on both boards.

I do believe that CBCS may present a bit more value on the secondary market but I also believe over time that gap will close. So for a long term “original slabber” they should likely not worry about any market discount today.

My beliefs above are informed beliefs and I don’t think I hold any strong bias either way. The one key differentiator for me with CBCS is the ability to verify signatures. It isn’t a huge deal to me personally as I am not a big signed book collector but I do like that option.

@Davethebrave Worst sales pitch in the history of sales pitches, lol.
I'm not giving my best sales pitch. I save my best sales pitches for submissions $1K and above.
Post 20 IP   flag post

Post 21 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by EbayMafia
Quote:

@Davethebrave Worst sales pitch in the history of sales pitches, lol.
I'm not giving my best sales pitch. I save my best sales pitches for submissions $1K and above.

There's nothing like be damned by faint praise.
Post 22 IP   flag post
Well, my sales pitch was price and TAT agnostic should just go CBCS with price as tie breaker.

Better the honest sales pitch, right?

@Haljordanfan When I was 12 I was picking Ferrari over Porsche every time :-) Oh and I have only bought Dodge out of the former “Big 3” so I guess that was a miss on my part.
Post 23 IP   flag post
Oh and grading notes! There ya go…

For example, notes from one of my cbcs books tells me that it may benefit from a press (creases no color break)…

And uses the great sig verification service.

And doesn’t cost any $ to get this info! Unlike the other guys.

Post 24 IP   flag post
@Davethebrave

I have a friend that’s Porsche man. A 2021 “718” 6spd manual and a 2021 Cayenne. They’re fantastic cars, and I mean fantastic, but they’re not a Ferrari. Nor are the 911 Turbos and anything else for that matter. The sound that comes from a Ferrari is to me like no other, but that’s just my opinion.
Post 25 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Oh and grading notes! There ya go…

For example, notes from one of my cbcs books tells me that it may benefit from a press (creases no color break)…

And uses the great sig verification service.

And doesn’t cost any $ to get this info! Unlike the other guys.

Post 26 IP   flag post
Not trying to be an ass since February 12, 2020. HulkSmash private msg quote post Address this user
I can rant all day about why I don’t use CGC, but I will give you 1 simple fact for using CBCS for PC books.

CGC puts a sheet of MIP (micro interleaving paper) in your book before encasement. MIP has a specific shelf life and a CGC slab shelf life is ~8 years. Once the MIP has reached its capacity of absorbing the natural off-gassing of our books then our books are left to stew in their own filth until re-slabbed.

CBCS does not use MIP. The CBCS slabs are not air tight which means our books can breath and survive long term ( longer than properly stored/maintained bagged & boarded books and potentially indefinitely) without being affected by their own off-gassing.

I thought I was going to spare you some ranting but you get it anyway.

Idk where all of the hullabaloo about “CGC sells for more” comes from; I haven’t seen it personally in my few CBCS slab sales. Maybe I just don’t have enough data yet.

Use who you want, but CBCS is the clear winner for me regardless of monetary or sentimental value. Call me a CBCS fanboy or CGC hater. Either way I’ve done much research on simply the best options for preserving books. CBCS hands down is currently the best slab option.
Post 27 IP   flag post
PEDIGREED... Again! martymann private msg quote post Address this user
@HulkSmash Are the books I've had slabbed over the years by
CGC in danger of being destroyed if not re-slabbed?

Marty
Post 28 IP   flag post
Collector Hcanes private msg quote post Address this user
Competition breeds innovation.

I look at an example from video games. Madden Football had to compete with NFL 2k back in 1999- early 2000s this was great for the consumer because each company had to try to one up the other. However once Madden secured an exclusive deal with the NFL, Madden has been rather stale in my opinion.
Post 29 IP   flag post
@martymann - That’s how I took his post as well.
Post 30 IP   flag post
601329 78 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?