Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS GradedComics Modern Age

CBCS versus CGC - your best pitch15516

If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
I like the older labels because they come from the Borock era and the grading is more on point.
Post 51 IP   flag post
You can't get good wood on the ball every time. HotKeyComics private msg quote post Address this user
If 8 years is the ballpark lifespan and reslabbing really IS necessary, shouldn't CGC be recalling all the modern labels by now?
🤔
Post 52 IP   flag post
PLOD theCapraAegagrus private msg quote post Address this user
You're only going to get fanboy responses here. Oh, and if you posted at CGC, you'd get fanboy responses there, too. You'd simply get a lot more responses over there, with good reason.
Post 53 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by HulkSmash
I can rant all day about why I don’t use CGC, but I will give you 1 simple fact for using CBCS for PC books.

CGC puts a sheet of MIP (micro interleaving paper) in your book before encasement. MIP has a specific shelf life and a CGC slab shelf life is ~8 years. Once the MIP has reached its capacity of absorbing the natural off-gassing of our books then our books are left to stew in their own filth until re-slabbed.

CBCS does not use MIP. The CBCS slabs are not air tight which means our books can breath and survive long term ( longer than properly stored/maintained bagged & boarded books and potentially indefinitely) without being affected by their own off-gassing.

CGC slabs don't have a "shelf life", and they also are not air-tight.
Post 54 IP   flag post
I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
If you prefer to drop your books off at shows CBCS is the only game in town.

CGC isn't doing it anymore.
Post 55 IP   flag post

Collector Jabberwookie private msg quote post Address this user
They are both solid companies with some minor differences that could impact your choice.

CBCS has better cases, in my opinion. CGC has the custom labels.

CBCS is a little less expensive and quicker TAT.

CGC has the following and is considered the Coke, Macy’s, GM by many.

I say go with what suits your needs best.

Oh, and please share your pictures of books when you get them back.

There isn’t much better than seeing some cool books!
Post 56 IP   flag post
Collector ERB_in_CLT private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabberwookie

CGC has the custom labels.

Whichever comes up with Star Wars labels first can take all my money... LOL
Post 57 IP   flag post
Quote:

Which are hideous.
Post 58 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by drchaos

Really? No show drop offs at all? Not even for dealers?
Post 59 IP   flag post
PEDIGREED... Again! martymann private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by theCapraAegagrus
You're only going to get fanboy responses here. Oh, and if you posted at CGC, you'd get fanboy responses there, too. You'd simply get a lot more responses over there, with good reason.

I would address my concerns at CGC but for a long time now I
have been unable to post on their site.

Marty
Post 60 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:

Which are hideous.

They aren’t a selling point to me, either, but some people love them.

Potential plus for some people so I figured I’d mention.

Kudos to CGC for trying something different.
Post 61 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Which are hideous.

I might be less-hateful of the labels if CGC didn't make them available only temporarily. You better submit all of your comics in that 3-month window, otherwise you're SOL.
Post 62 IP   flag post
would be nice to have a snugger fit. Sigur_Ros private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Which are hideous.

My favorite one is the Fantastic 3

Post 63 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigur_Ros
My favorite one is the Fantastic 3

Three and a Half Men.
Post 64 IP   flag post
@Sigur_Ros HERBIE must be behind Reed or something...lol.

Yeah, I’m not defending the labels, just stating that CGC has them.

Some people get heavy breathing over it, but I’m not willing pay for it.
Post 65 IP   flag post
Collector etapi65 private msg quote post Address this user
For me, grading serves two purposes. Experts providing a reasonably accurate assessment of my collectible's quality. A case that protects my collectible.

I prefer CBCS because of reason 1. At least dating 2018 CBCS seems demonstrably more accurate at grading. Though I have some books I've questioned from CGC dating to 2017 that seemed too high to me. For portion 2, I haven't done anything to any of my cases from either that would lead me to believe one encapsulation product is sturdier than the other.

So, then look at secondary components. CGC labeled books, your eye is drawn to the label first, then the book. CBCS your eye is drawn to the book first, NOT the label; I prefer that.

CBCS is less expensive.

CBCS doesn't appear to be openly hostile against their competitor to create a monopoly to further exploit customers...like CGC seems to be.

At cons, CBCS booth people have always helpful. In a couple of cases they've gone over and above to help me out with getting sketches/sigs witnessed. CGC has always made me feel like I'm just a number throwing money at them and they really don't give two craps about the collectors. They just want your money. That's fine, they're a business.

The only pro of CGC is that for some reason the collector's market regards them more highly despite evidence to the contrary. As I'm not collecting to flip and make profit, this is irrelevant to me. CGC also has a vast machine of sponsorship to do everything in their power to keep CBCS out of eyeshot. Blogger sponsors, youtube channel support, sites like comicsgocollect where you have to literally toggle on CBCS to see those sales.

I get to choose a cheaper, more accurate, treats you like a person company over the opposite...so I do.
Post 66 IP   flag post
I don't know why people claim that, "CGC cases draw your eyes to the label as opposed to the book", as that has never been the cases for me or anyone that I know. Must be a defect with CBCS fanboy eyes...
Post 67 IP   flag post
would be nice to have a snugger fit. Sigur_Ros private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by HotKeyComics
If 8 years is the ballpark lifespan and reslabbing really IS necessary, shouldn't CGC be recalling all the modern labels by now?
🤔

They changed their stance on that a while back. After years of recommending people reslab every 7-10 yrs, they decided it actually wasn't necessary after all. Rumors say they changed their tune when CBCS stated you never have to reslab CBCS cases. That timing is not confirmed though

It is unknown how many people got refunded for reslabbing based on CGC's recommendation, though I'm sure it was everyone.
Or maybe no one.
Post 68 IP   flag post
I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrWatson
Quote:
Originally Posted by drchaos

Really? No show drop offs at all? Not even for dealers?

Talked to them on the phone.

They are only taking trading cards at shows.
Post 69 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
I don't know why people claim that, "CGC cases draw your eyes to the label as opposed to the book", as that has never been the cases for me or anyone that I know. Must be a defect with CBCS fanboy eyes...

The CGC label design team would probably take offense at this statement.
Post 70 IP   flag post
To answer your question, no, this is not where the comics go to die. MutantMania private msg quote post Address this user
I just seal my books in saran wrap and scotch tape
Post 71 IP   flag post
Not trying to be an ass since February 12, 2020. HulkSmash private msg quote post Address this user
Post 72 IP   flag post
The apple sauce and pudding were the best part... Bronte private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by MutantMania
I just seal my books in saran wrap and scotch tape

Sounds like a do it yourself condom.....
Post 73 IP   flag post
Not trying to be an ass since February 12, 2020. HulkSmash private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
I believe it comes from the bright white box. I’ve always thought the box should reflect page quality, but whatever.
Post 74 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
I believe it comes from the bright white box. I’ve always thought the box should reflect page quality, but whatever.

It's just a sticker. *shrug* Are you saying that you think the sticker should be the color of PQ? If so, that would be interesting, but also probably ugly below Off-White.

Is the grade easier to see than on CBCS labels? Absolutely. That doesn't make it the main attraction for CGC's slabs. I'm just glad that CBCS changed their label awhile back, because IMO it used to be hideous.
Post 75 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:

And the big, obnoxious, shiny hologram "price sticker" on the right, that should be stuck to the back.
Post 76 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigur_Ros
And the big, obnoxious, shiny hologram "price sticker" on the right, that should be stuck to the back.

I can agree with this. All of the "guaranty" information is already back there.
Post 77 IP   flag post
Secret Moderator MatterEaterLad private msg quote post Address this user
CGC is Kleenex. CBCS is facial tissue.

One is the industry standard. The other came along later and is virtually identical.
Post 78 IP   flag post
598086 78 28
This topic is archived. Start new topic?