Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Modern AgeQuestions

Educate me.15459

Have I told you about the time I dropped off 3,000 comics at SDCC? Scifinator private msg quote post Address this user
A lot of you know that I stopped adding to my comic collection back in the mid 1990’s, primarily due to the insane multiple cover craze and inability for good publishers to survive. But on to my quest for knowledge from the almighty CBCS knowledge-base.

One of the advents since I had stopped collecting new comics, is that of the “Facsimile” edition. What gives? WTF is the difference between a Facsimile Edition and a standard Reprint?
Post 1 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR dielinfinite private msg quote post Address this user
@Scifinator A facsimile is a reprint that tries to reproduce the original issue almost exactly (but on modern paper stock and a new barcode), including the original ads, etc.

Most reprints will reproduce the story but include contemporary ads and they can often have different/updated covers or trade dress
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector Blackhawk273 private msg quote post Address this user
A facsimile edition includes all of the original ads, letter pages, and anything else that might be left out of a standard reprint.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector Rafel private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by dielinfinite
@Scifinator A facsimile is a reprint that tries to reproduce the original issue almost exactly (but on modern paper stock and a new barcode), including the original ads, etc.

Most reprints will reproduce the story but include contemporary ads and they can often have different/updated covers or trade dress

I didn't know this. Thank you for educating me also.
Post 4 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafel
Quote:
Originally Posted by dielinfinite

I didn't know this. Thank you for educating me also.

I too was unaware of this. cool!!!
Post 5 IP   flag post
Have I told you about the time I dropped off 3,000 comics at SDCC? Scifinator private msg quote post Address this user
@dielinfinite @Blackhawk273 - thanks much, now I understand. Lol, I actually figured that the answer was going to come from either @dielinfinite or @sborock.

Much appreciated!
Post 6 IP   flag post
Collector Gustafson26 private msg quote post Address this user
A facsimile edition is a way for people on ebay to try and trick people into thinking they are getting a great deal on a 1st appearance.
Post 7 IP   flag post
I'm good with splotches. Nuffsaid111 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gustafson26
A facsimile edition is a way for people on ebay to try and trick people into thinking they are getting a great deal on a 1st appearance.

Check out some of the sold prices of Werewolf by Night Facsimile #32 (in which the seller "accidentally" left out "facsimile" in the Title of the comic)

It is shocking ... hundreds of dollars. I blocked each and every seller who does this as I don't need their dishonesty/shenanigans manifesting themselves in ways that aren't as obvious.
Post 8 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
Don't they notice that the cover prices are different?
Post 9 IP   flag post
Collector Gustafson26 private msg quote post Address this user
Youd think they would but when a buy it now comes out with no indication that its a facsimile people jump on it or bid it up causing more people to sail on that ship. Say a raw goes for $100 on average, they will list it as buy it now at $40-60 and its incredible the amount that sell...if I didnt have morals I would do it too haha
Post 10 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
There was a time when these shenanigans annoyed me. If the price is "too good to be true", then I don't spend a whole lot of time caring about the buyers. They think they've found a seller who doesn't know his stuff, when in fact the seller has found a buyer who doesn't know his stuff. I don't really differentiate anymore.
Post 11 IP   flag post
I'm good with splotches. Nuffsaid111 private msg quote post Address this user
Definitely a gray area as to who is to "blame" if anyone is into the blame game. And where on that spectrum of blame of 1 to 10 each are responsible for.

All I can say is the Title in the Ebay description is supposed to match the Title of the comic. And the Title of the comic is "Werewolf by Night 32 Facsimile Edition". That's what was solicited and <I'm assuming> also on the indicia of the comic. Not placing the title accurately in the title of Ebay is not right. So it starts from there in my opinion.
Post 12 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
@Nuffsaid111 I agree, the seller is fully culpable. But it's just an interesting con where a buyer with a lack in knowledge believes that they are taking advantage of a seller with a lack of knowledge. I've got to imagine 75% of those sales result in returns or dispute.
Post 13 IP   flag post
600451 13 13
This topic is archived. Start new topic?