Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Grading Help Needed

A Penny for Your Grade? Iron Man 12815458

Collector Chanfriendly private msg quote post Address this user

Hi all! Saw the Bob Layton signature event just got rescheduled. Debating if I should send this in for it, but honestly don't know what to expect grade wise. For all I know it's anywhere from a two to a seven. Any ballparks you're willing to give me?

As always, I appreciate your help
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector andy49 private msg quote post Address this user
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector lawguy1977 private msg quote post Address this user
I'd say 7.5 (granted, there's aren't any pics of the back or interior). In my humble opinion, a press could help the tics on the spine but I don't think there's much that can be done for the bottom right front corner. Classic book and having it signed by Layton would be awesome.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector Chanfriendly private msg quote post Address this user
Honestly, I'd be ecstatic with a 7. I think it'll stay in my personal collection anyway, so I guess the grade doesn't matter that much at the end of the day.

Thanks to the both of you, and anyone else that swings by with an opinion!
Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector radd76 private msg quote post Address this user
YESSSssss Bob!! You have a newsstand copy there- but yes press gonna help ya tons! 8.5 give it take- like previous commenter said- need more pics or see in person to know!

Post 5 IP   flag post
8.5 after a press - as is 6.5-7.0? Def worth the money to press!
Post 6 IP   flag post
Collector cesidio private msg quote post Address this user
Press it as is at most a 7.0 maybe as low as a 6.5
Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector LostWarrior17 private msg quote post Address this user
I would say anywhere between a 6.5 - 7.0. I have a signed and graded 8.5 to compare it to, but it is subjective. Here is my copy if you'd like to compare!
Post 8 IP   flag post
Collector Triplecdad private msg quote post Address this user
Have the same book but have never had a book signed. If I send it in do I need to put a window box (if that is the term) to show where to sign or just let the artist select?
Post 9 IP   flag post
@Triplecdad -they appreciate window bags because it saves them time (removing comics from polybags) and yes you get to pick where they sign-

If you don’t they may sign right across the character’s face or other place that obscures the signature-

Check my pic above- paint marker can be really nice!- I did LIGHT BLUE on Iron Man’s helmet- generally it is better to press prior to signing when possible… especially paint marker (just good practice).
Post 10 IP   flag post
@Triplecdad oh and especially Mail-in… in person you can remove the comic and tell them where to sign-

But window bag still keeps handling to a minimum!

I had marker ink get in the back of a book bc signer stacked books before they were dry-!- live and learn lol
Post 11 IP   flag post
Ima gonna steal this and look for some occasion to use it! IronMan private msg quote post Address this user
@radd76
It is best to press AFTER the book is signed. Because the book gets handled in the process of being signed. So most ideal is for pressing to be the final step before books enter the grading process. This makes CBCS's in house pressing service an excellent choice.

As for paint markers and pressing. They do take more care in pressing. You just need to make sure the pressing service has experience pressing books with signatures done with paint markers. The bigger problem with paint markers is they take longer to dry. If books signed with paint markers have anything touch them before completely dry (like say the next book signed) then you can get smears.
Post 12 IP   flag post
Ima gonna steal this and look for some occasion to use it! IronMan private msg quote post Address this user
@Triplecdad
If you do not send the book already window bagged CBCS staff will make a window bag for and charge you $5 for that service. Most likely the window bag they make will leave about 80% of the cover open for the artist to pick where to sign.

If you make your own window bag you can make a smaller signature area so the book is signed exactly where you want. But don't make the window to small. You don't want to force the artist to squeeze their signature into a tiny spot or have part of the signature on the bag instead of the comic.

Lots of videos on YouTube on how to make a window bag - here is a link to one. And I have not personally had a bad experience with having the "window" expose most of the book. Bob Layton has probably signed hundreds of copies of Iron Man 128. Maybe thousands. He probably knows where signature placement looks good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=48aCmeRRFKk
Post 13 IP   flag post
@IronMan I’ve never had a problem if I have window bags- the comic is not handled directly.

I use rigid mylar bags (best practice) for the bags and I double backer board it - it’s stiff as stiff gets- if they bend it no press in the world is gonna save it “after”…

Yeah with Mail-in all you can do is write instructions for letting paint marker dry- and if a special color you want you have to send in with the books and hope they don’t get separated - prolly more often going to be this way due to the pandemic picking back up… ugh.
Post 14 IP   flag post
600892 14 14
This topic is archived. Start new topic?