Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Grading Help Needed

Please grade a couple of my (almost) Golden Age books15457

Collector Carpendaddy private msg quote post Address this user
I’m in the process of submitting these now but I don’t often grade older books that look this good so I’m not sure where they’ll land. I’d like to see what everyone thinks. I’ll update when I’ve received them back.

The comics are:
Alarming Tales 4
This Magazine is Haunted 16

I have a bunch more to submit but I have to sort through them and find the best candidates first. These were the first chosen.

Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector Briten private msg quote post Address this user
Thanks for sharing
Post 2 IP   flag post
I showed my wife and she was so happy for me she started to cry. Batman66 private msg quote post Address this user
Both look very nice, I would put them in the 7.5 range
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector andy49 private msg quote post Address this user
6.5 and 5.0
Post 4 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
For the top book I would say around 6.5/7, and the bottom one probably around 5.5/6 (looks like some rust on that top staple with some staining).
Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector cesidio private msg quote post Address this user
Top book and bottom book in that order honest opinion
6.0 5.0 at best.
Both books appear to have tears ticking and missing pieces of the cover. Page color looks nice. As. Old as these are not bad shape at all.
Post 6 IP   flag post
" . " Davethebrave private msg quote post Address this user
Top 6.5-7 (90% CI) and 6.0-7.5 (95% CI)

Bottom 5.0-6.0 (90% CI) and 4.5-6.5 (95% CI)

I find the more “middle” the grade the more difficult to judge, esp off photos, hence the wider CI for bottom
Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector 50AE_DE private msg quote post Address this user
First book looks like it's in Fine- (5.5). Is that a small tape pull under the right eye?

The other looks to be VG/FN (5.0). The top staple does look like it's slightly rusted.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 50AE_DE
First book looks like it's in Fine- (5.5). Is that a small tape pull under the right eye?

The other looks to be VG/FN (5.0). The top staple does look like it's slightly rusted.

I assume his left eye?

IMHO second book looks “much” worse than the first, with several visible creases (top right vertical, bottom right diagonal) and significant waviness in the paper and some areas of tape pulls and other damage including around staples.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Both are nice books btw. Let us know how they end up grading. I would not be surprised if they end up on the higher end of the ranges that the group is giving. Would be more surprised if on or below the lower end.
Post 10 IP   flag post
Collector Carpendaddy private msg quote post Address this user
Thanks guys. I figured the grades would be all over the place. I have some other books from this era that are much better looking, with some 9.0+ WP candidates. These are just my two favorite pre-1960 books. I’m in the process of cleaning up all the dirt that’s visible; they’ll also be pressed before sending out. I’ll definitely report back with my results.

Personally I believe the Alarming Tales will come back higher. It “feels” newer to me and looks a tad better in person. I put them both around 7.0-8.0, hoping for an age bump for the condition. I’ll be fine with whatever they get because they’re keepers and I’m looking to preserve them.

The tape pulls that were mentioned are odd. Both books have them. One near the left eye on the face for This Magazine is Haunted and one near the upper right side of Alarming Tales. Each spot is glossy under light and I see no fraying or differences under a loupe comparing it to the surrounding paper. I don’t know if they’re printing errors, stains, scratches, etc. I’ll find out if graders notes point them out.
Post 11 IP   flag post
Collector jokioo private msg quote post Address this user
I’m terrible at predicting mid-grades, but I actually agree with OP and think that the Alarming Tales will grade higher.
Post 12 IP   flag post
Yes, I agree too which is why if I am surprised I expect to be surprised on the high side of my 6-7.5 range…
Post 13 IP   flag post
600776 13 13
This topic is archived. Start new topic?