Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
I'm a #2. BigRedOne1944 private msg quote post Address this user
@Towmater

Thanks for chiming in with your take on this age-old debate!

Range distances are one of the commonly discussed topics when it comes to the two optic styles, as well as such things such as being in timber vs open range, but there are other factors to consider as well. In the end it looks like it really comes down to what your intended use is and of course...... personal preference.

It seems like most hunters' side with the SFP, but my intentions are more from a tactical standpoint.

Im looking to hit at 300-400 yards which the SFP version of this optic is probably capable of doing at 6x magnification, plus a bit more usable reticle on the lower magnification as you said, and cheaper.

That said I do like the idea of not having to figure all the hold overs at any of the "in betweens" on the longer ranges.

While the 6x Primary Arms Raptor might be capable of making 400-500+ yards shots it might be pushing my skills and eyes using a 6x SFP optic.

One might be better served with a higher magnification Optic (10x 12x) to justify spending the extra money and using FFP should the intentions be shooting at longer ranges 500-800 yards.

While Im far from an expert of the topic, my thoughts are that the even though my intentions are not 500–800-yard shots, which Im Never going to be attempting to do, FFP would still be more advantageous for me and my eyes, even at those mid ranges. The optic would be used exclusively for shooting at those mid ranges of 300-400 yards, so the smaller reticle at lower magnification would not be an issue and the cost differential would also not be an issue for me.

I think at this point I have kind of made up my mind in going for the Primary Arms 6x Raptor with the FFP ACSS Reticle.
Post 201 IP   flag post
Collector* Towmater private msg quote post Address this user
@BigRedOne1944

Also, consideration needs to be given to the size of the intended target, the environment (which you kind of touched upon), the surroundings of the target, the light source - how strong or weak it is, and lastly, the most important factor of all - the shooter.
Post 202 IP   flag post
@Towmater

I think you hit the nail on the head.

One has to get out there a practice shooting skills in order to improve. All the fancy equipment in the world is meaningless if you are not out using if on a regular basis.

Deer Season just ended here in Illinois so I should have the Family Timber all to myself. Problem is its so damn cold and we got hit with some snow. Im not sure I can get down the lane to where I shoot, Even with 4WD. If I can reach out 200-300 yards with a Red dot and Magnifier, I might not even need a LPVO. Thats why I need to get out there and get some rounds down range with New Holosun Magnifier I just put on my Daniel Defense Rifle.

Post 203 IP   flag post
Well Its been to friggin cold to get outside and shoot, so I bought some wall mounts for some of my rifles.

Got some hand gun mounts on order as well. I'll probably end up re doing them on a different wall once I figure out what kind of wall space I have available.

Post 204 IP   flag post
I just picked up my new 4 inch Smith & Wesson pistol and I REALLY need to get to the range and get some rounds through it.

Never shot with anything other that iron sights on a pistol so the mounted red dot optic will be a learning experience. I can already tell just by my dry fire practice I don't like not being able to control the brightness of the Crimson Trace optic. With my eye astigmatism the red dot gets really exaggerated. I'll give it a try, but until I can obtain a Green dot optic with a manual brightness adjustment I'll probably just go with the fiber optic iron sights. I shoot pretty well with the green fiber optics front sights I have installed on all of my other pistols and I expect no less from this new 4 inch version.

I blew the Tranny cooler line on the truck plowing snow so I really have no way to get through the lane into the timber area where I usually shoot. Its still pretty friggin cold so I guess I will have to pay up and go to the local shooting parlor if I want to get some rounds through the new gun.

I also did FINALLY get those pistol wall mounts

Post 205 IP   flag post

Collector Ramage23 private msg quote post Address this user
My DD V7s - VG6 gamma Brake, Trijicon MRO. Without getting political it is a shame it has been under safe arrest since May 1 2020.

Glock 19 Canadian Edition

M&P 9

Also have a DD MK18
Post 206 IP   flag post
@Ramage23

Sweet!!!!!!!!!!!

Im assuming you have put some rounds down range with the DD V7 prior to its house arrest? How do you like the Trijicon Optic?

Its starting to get a little bit nice around here in the mid west. I'll be getting out to the range to get some first shots with my DD V7 since I added new holosun magnifier.

I actually looked at a DD MK18 myself, almost........ "Pulled the trigger" Wife said ..... NO

anyway.... thanks for posting the nice weapons and I hope your able to get out and get some practice time with them.
Post 207 IP   flag post
Collector Ramage23 private msg quote post Address this user
Thanks @BigRedOne1944 I was able to compete in 15 matches with the V7s prior to all AR's being prohibited in Canada and I liked the weight better than my MK18. The MK18 front rail system is bomb proff but a little heavy.

I had put around 2300 rounds through the V7 and about double that with the MK18 before we Canucks were forced to lock them away while we wait for the Government to "Buy them Back"

I really like the MRO, I am slightly faster shooting for time with it vs my Holosun but it did take a little getting used to with the slight magnification.

I really miss shooting my AR's.
Post 208 IP   flag post
PLOD theCapraAegagrus private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRedOne1944
@Ramage23
Its starting to get a little bit nice around here in the mid west. I'll be getting out to the range to get some first shots with my DD V7 since I added new holosun magnifier.

I'm still waiting on the suppressor for my .300 WM until I get out and do some shooting/zeroing this year.* It's been 10 months, but recently an acquaintance told me that his first approval took 13-15 months, so that's put me at ease.

*Not a great excuse to let my skills get rusty, but I've been busy.
Post 209 IP   flag post
@Ramage23

Man I feel for ya I hadn't heard about the Canadian ban issue. Hopefully that silliness goes away soon.

So can you cross the border and compete in US matches?
Post 210 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by theCapraAegagrus
Quote:
@Ramage23

I'm still waiting on the suppressor for my .300 WM until I get out and do some shooting/zeroing this year.* It's been 10 months, but recently an acquaintance told me that his first approval took 13-15 months, so that's put me at ease.

*Not a great excuse to let my skills get rusty, but I've been busy.

Can't have ya getting rusty! Just for shits & Grins I was looking at some of those suppressor's online and I thought "OH Friggin Molly" Even the "Cheap" ones were super expensive! Not to mention the hoops you gotta jump through and .... yes those crazy wait time. The restrictions are just really stupid shit IMO

Hopefully ya find some time to get out and shoot, Good luck with the suppressor.
Post 211 IP   flag post
Collector teacha777 private msg quote post Address this user
Went out to the range yesterday in case the Russians got the Canadians feeling bold
Post 212 IP   flag post
Quote:

Can't have ya getting rusty! Just for shits & Grins I was looking at some of those suppressor's online and I thought "OH Friggin Molly" Even the "Cheap" ones were super expensive! Not to mention the hoops you gotta jump through and .... yes those crazy wait time. The restrictions are just really stupid shit IMO

Hopefully ya find some time to get out and shoot, Good luck with the suppressor.

Yeah, the good ones are typically $600+. Mine was about $1,200 after all of the taxes, fees, and other BS etc. I got the top-of-the-line, though. I suspect that suppressors would only be about $200-300 if supply met demand.

The fact that they didn't get the Hearing Protection Act through when it was possible is part of what pushed me to be more "independent". I F-ing despise these regulations.
Post 213 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by teacha777
Went out to the range yesterday in case the Russians got the Canadians feeling bold

looks like some very nice grouping there Indeed might have to help cover our Canadian brothers. How far north can you shoot? Keep up the good work
Post 214 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:

Yeah, the good ones are typically $600+. Mine was about $1,200 after all of the taxes, fees, and other BS etc. I got the top-of-the-line, though. I suspect that suppressors would only be about $200-300 if supply met demand.

The fact that they didn't get the Hearing Protection Act through when it was possible is part of what pushed me to be more "independent". I F-ing despise these regulations.

Hell, I seen some upwards of a couple grand. I guess I just don't understand it all. There can't be all that much tech involved in manufacturing these things can there? Don't seem to be a lot of material needed to produce them either. So what am I missing? Do the manufacturers just price gouge because of the restriction stuff and high demand? Thankfully I really have no desire or need for one and I can just allocate the money to buy a case or so of ammo.
Post 215 IP   flag post
Well i got to the range today to try out my new 4" Smith & Wesson Shield plus pistol.

Beings how I have never used any kind of Red Dot optic on a hand gun I figured I better start out as close as possible to get it zeroed.

5 yards the sight was actually pretty darn close right out of the box. The groups were good but my first shots(Red) were all low. After adjusting the optic up my second shot group (Green) looked to be pretty good. I was shooting Browning 115 grain ammo.

The pistol shot really well as I worked on acquiring the red dot in the optic window

At the 10 yard range I felt my zero was still pretty good even though I threw Shots 1 & 5 with bad sight acquisition or poor trigger pulls.

Pistol once again shot very well with no malfunctions. Ive had a few failures to feed with this Browning Ammo in some of the other pistol's Ive used it with.

moving to 15 Yards. I think the gun and optic was pretty well zeroed and the shots I missed with were once again due to bad trigger pulls or sight acquisition issues. Even so I was still pretty happy with the shots and pistol performance at this point.

OK..... Moving to 20 yards I just ran a few mags through the gun. 20 yards was really challenging and pushing my skill limit. When I stayed disciplined and focused I was able to get good hits on target. On the other hand when I lost focus and had trouble acquiring the red dot in the optic window and started yanking on the trigger I threw some wild shots as well. More practice is indeed needed.

Overall I was really happy with the performance of the pistol... and I think I actually shot pretty decent for a first time user of a red dot optic on a hand gun. As for the Crimson Trace Optic? I believe it was very usable and accurate with proper sight acquisition. The one thing I didn't like was the auto brightness and no way to manually adjust that brightness and sometimes the red dot really started to get a bit of a star burst effect. My eye astigmatism probably contributed to some of the distortion. I also seem to see a green dot a bit better than red.

Im thinking about trying out the Swamp Fox Sentinel Green Dot with Manual brightness

On my way home I decided to stop by the local Farm & Fleet store and I found these 150 count range packs on sale for $99.00. Unfortunately I was kind of broke and could only afford to grab one box. So over all it was indeed a good day!

Happy Shooting
Post 216 IP   flag post
Collector PDGray private msg quote post Address this user
Haven't been shooting since I retired from the Army (Summer 2018), but I bought a few pistols last summer. I have scheduled with my wife to go to the range, but it hasn't happened yet.

PDG
Post 217 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDGray
Haven't been shooting since I retired from the Army (Summer 2018), but I bought a few pistols last summer. I have scheduled with my wife to go to the range, but it hasn't happened yet.

PDG

Thank You for your service and stopping by here.

Ive had the wife out a couple times myself. I plan on taking the conceal carry coarse at some point this year. Wife says she wants to take it as well, but I definitely think she needs some more range time first.
Post 218 IP   flag post
Collector PDGray private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:

PDG

Ive had the wife out a couple times myself. I plan on taking the conceal carry coarse at some point this year. Wife says she wants to take it as well, but I definitely think she needs some more range time first.

I am a relative newb to the boards but have been enjoying my time here.

I got my CC permit last year - very easy and painless for me since I have done years of training with firearms. My wife has never been to a range before. I think she said she has fired a rifle once or twice. She has definitely never fired anything in our almost 20 years together. SO, the range is our starting point. We have to have someone to watch the kiddos so that we can go, but it seems that no family members have been able to keep them for a couple of hours so we can go. I don't want to take them (ages 6 and 11). I don't think they would enjoy it just yet, although my 11-year-old son might.

Given your board name are you a Vet?

PDG
Post 219 IP   flag post
being an ass and being a clown are two very different things. HAmistoso private msg quote post Address this user
Yes, I am a lefty:

Post 220 IP   flag post
CBCS Boomhauer HeinzDad private msg quote post Address this user
My CCW expired a year ago or so and I chose to not take the refresher course. Over the years I had decided carrying a firearm was a little over the top for me personally. It turns out my states guv nah signed a permit less carry law this week. I suppose if I wish, starting in June, I could get the Sig 938 back out.
Post 221 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

PDG

I am a relative newb to the boards but have been enjoying my time here.

I got my CC permit last year - very easy and painless for me since I have done years of training with firearms. My wife has never been to a range before. I think she said she has fired a rifle once or twice. She has definitely never fired anything in our almost 20 years together. SO, the range is our starting point. We have to have someone to watch the kiddos so that we can go, but it seems that no family members have been able to keep them for a couple of hours so we can go. I don't want to take them (ages 6 and 11). I don't think they would enjoy it just yet, although my 11-year-old son might.

Given your board name are you a Vet?

PDG

Well... a belated welcome to the boards to ya!

Yeah.... It can be tough finding the time when you got young ones. Im lucky to have some timber acreage to be able to shoot at. My wife has shoot a few times in the last years or so, but she definitely lacks the skills and fundamentals to have any real confidence. Hopefully you guys will be able to get a date set up to do it.

No.... I am not military. The name came about because of my involvement in the custom military figure hobby. For years I have been active in building a custom painting 1/6 scale military figures and vehicles, mainly WWII.

Here's a Tank Crew I made a few years back

These are from a Online diorama contest I entered about 10 years ago and won second place. I won a Free $100 Boxed figure!

My entry was called 'The Bulge" it was based on the "Doc Eugene Rowe" from the Band of Brothers Mini Series

A lot of custom painting and weathering of figures and equipment. I was especially happy with the M1 Garand Rifles and how they turned out with the custom leather slings.

I have also actively been looking to acquire a nice M1 Garand Rifle and I don't want no shiny new modern day reproduction. Looking for the right one with some real history to it.

Over
Post 222 IP   flag post
@WMorse Nice piece Lefty!
Post 223 IP   flag post
Quote:

Hell, I seen some upwards of a couple grand. I guess I just don't understand it all. There can't be all that much tech involved in manufacturing these things can there? Don't seem to be a lot of material needed to produce them either. So what am I missing? Do the manufacturers just price gouge because of the restriction stuff and high demand? Thankfully I really have no desire or need for one and I can just allocate the money to buy a case or so of ammo.

Tech? Nah. It's about precision machining and how much sound the baffling can suppress.

There can be a few cost factors. Obviously, manufacturers include their regulation costs in the MSRP. Raw material, like aluminum vs steel. Some guys actually machine them at home, and those are usually pricey. How many baffles there are, and how easy it is to clean. Lighter weight will be more expensive, too.

Based on a study in which about 50 suppressors were tested, I bought the one that reduces the most muzzle noise (.300 WM goes down to about 135 dB, from about 180 dB with my muzzle break), I can't imagine spending more than about $1,500 on one.
Post 224 IP   flag post
Quote:

You may want to hold off on the CCW/CPL course until the Supreme Court rules on NYSRPA v Corlett. It's possible that they rule conceal carry to be protected by the 2A. That's what I'm waiting on and hoping for, at least.
Post 225 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:

You may want to hold off on the CCW/CPL course until the Supreme Court rules on NYSRPA v Corlett. It's possible that they rule conceal carry to be protected by the 2A. That's what I'm waiting on and hoping for, at least.

I see where Indiana just eliminated requirement. I live in Illinois so you know......... Maybe Just move to Indiana?
Post 226 IP   flag post
Quote:
Maybe Just move to Indiana?

LOL, I have a bad history in/with Indiana.
Post 227 IP   flag post
Any jail time involved?

Ive been to Gary and don't believe I would ever go there again unarmed
Post 228 IP   flag post
Quote:
Any jail time involved?

No, just failed relationships.
Post 229 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Any jail time involved?

No, just failed relationships.

Ahhh, Sometimes those can be worse than jail time.
Post 230 IP   flag post
601524 335 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?