Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
I'm a #2. BigRedOne1944 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by teacha777
Love my holosun 403c red dot and holosun magnifier combo. I can’t upload pics at the moment

Had to get on Wi-Fi, cellular was to slow

Nice! One of the main complainants I hear about the Holosun 3x is that the hinge is not as solid as other magnifiers, (Vortex, Sig, etc..) on the market. Have you noticed any wobble or looseness in the operation of the hinge on the Holosun? How many rounds have you shot with the holosun set up?
Post 176 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by furlo316
One of my latest, took some searching to get one at a decent price. This old girl is a tack driver thanks to an arsenal referb where a 50s Era Springfield barrel was swapped in.

Sweet! the one that won the war
Post 177 IP   flag post
Collector teacha777 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRedOne1944
Quote:
Originally Posted by teacha777
Love my holosun 403c red dot and holosun magnifier combo. I can’t upload pics at the moment

Had to get on Wi-Fi, cellular was to slow

Nice! One of the main complainants I hear about the Holosun 3x is that the hinge is not as solid as other magnifiers, (Vortex, Sig, etc..) on the market. Have you noticed any wobble or looseness in the operation of the hinge on the Holosun? How many rounds have you shot with the holosun set up?

I haven’t had any issues but I’m not running around with it just going to the range. I had it for a year so I put through 100’s of rounds and it has never disengaged when I didn’t want it to. My complaint is it’s to stiff so not as practical to use (flipping back and forth) during an active shooter/intruder situation.
Post 178 IP   flag post
I don't want to brag, but cashiers are always checking me out. power_struggle55 private msg quote post Address this user

Post 179 IP   flag post
My local FFL dealer was able to get the transfer and all the paper work done Thursday, and I was able to take possession of my New Daniel Defense M4 V7 Rifle. A beautiful piece of work! but not with out some fault.

The Ambidextrous Safety absolutely sucks from my right handed shooter perspective. The ambi safety lever on the right side of the gun is way to long and interferes with my trigger hand.

The Good news.... It is removable.

The Bad news..... I wasn't able to shoot Friday as Heavy winds and rain battered the mid west. Tornadoes did heavy damage south of us that resulted in some deaths. Please say a prayer for all those effected.

The Good news.... Today we was blessed with another nice "Indian Summer" Day and I was able to get out to the timber again to shoot the first rounds through my new rifle! Of coarse I got some pistol work in as well

There was a little bit of wind and I had to employ the stakes for my target stands and they performed just fine again

I was using The Holosun 510C Green Dot. I haven't yet decided on which magnifier to get. Im still weighing the pros and cons, but it seems likely that I will pair this sight with the Holosun 3x magnifier. My old eyes were barely able to make out my zeroing target at 50 yards.

The DDV7 zeroed at 50 yards pretty quick. I was once again using cheap Tulammo steel case Russian ammo. I ran 250 rounds through the DDV7, once again moving between target stands 20-25 yards apart. The gun shot flawlessly with no malfunctions.

I also ran the same drills with my Smith & Wesson 15-22 using the Sig Sauer Romeo5 Red Dot. I felt I was a bit more accurate with the Sig at longer distances. weather it was the sight or lighter .22 Caliber LR.... maybe a little of both. Next time out I will switch the two sights out.

@theCapraAegagrus was really happy with his Sig Romeo Red dot/Juliet 3x magnifier. I may just buy a second magnifier, the juliet 3x and pair it with the Romeo5. After all they were meant to be together.

Super happy with the DD4V7! It shot flawless and smooth without any issues. Overall I kept most of my shots in the A, B zones of the targets.

Maybe I'll get lucky and get another nice range day in before Christmas
Post 180 IP   flag post

Collector michaelekrupp private msg quote post Address this user
Not really into killing things myself but I did just get the wife this for Christmas.

Post 181 IP   flag post
Merry Christmas! Is she versed in how to use it?
Post 182 IP   flag post
@BigRedOne1944 Merry Christmas to you as well! Yeah, she has been taking classes for months, filed all the paperwork for a concealed carry permit etc. Hopefully she will never have to use it, but it’s better to be safe than sorry.
Post 183 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelekrupp
@BigRedOne1944 Merry Christmas to you as well! Yeah, she has been taking classes for months, filed all the paperwork for a concealed carry permit etc. Hopefully she will never have to use it, but it’s better to be safe than sorry.

I hear ya.... Glad to see she's investing the time to become a knowledgeable and responsible gun owner. Indeed, lets hope that paper targets are all she ever has to shoot at.

My son is going to be enrolled at a college town next year and my daughter is going to be 17 and starting to turn the boys heads. Mom's still walking the parking lot after work as well.

While conceal carry guns are not in the line up for the kids and mom yet, They have been working with how to deploy Pepper Spray, as well as how to inflict serious damage in a last ditch effort to save your life from an attacker with their Ka-Bar knives.

Being only 150 miles west of Chicago [moderator edit], as well as some of the closer Metropolitan areas like Peoria IL. which continues to experience a record setting year for homicides and violent crime only 40 miles away, you simply have to be prepared to defend yourself and family.

Happy Holidays and stay safe!

John
Post 184 IP   flag post
Moderator Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
@michaelekrupp @BigRedOne1944 let's stay away from any contentious political ideas. I edited both comments.

Thanksl
Post 185 IP   flag post
@BigRedOne1944 She is indeed taking it very seriously. I may undergo some training myself at some point. Fortunately, at 6’ 5” I am not a tempting target for criminals looking for an easy score, but you are so very right about the need to be prepared to defend oneself in today’s world.

Always a pleasure to talk with you, John. Take care, brother.
Post 186 IP   flag post
@michaelekrupp my wife has expressed interest in the conceal carry program as well. She doesn't have the basic fundamental confidence in handling a firearm safely yet. If she insists on pursuing it I will work at the range with her, Likely with a smaller caliber like a 380 pistol, although the 380 ammo seems to be one of the harder caliber ammos to get around here.
Post 187 IP   flag post
"Forum Overlord" bah ha ha ha... JustThatGuy private msg quote post Address this user
Newest edition to our family. We have two G43s, so I had to pick this up.
Post 188 IP   flag post
Nice Pick up on the Glock.
Post 189 IP   flag post
I finally allocated some funds and picked up the Holosun 3x Magnifier. It matched up perfectly with the holosun 510 Green Dot Sight im currently running. Caught up in a big winter storm here at the moment so I haven't been able to get out to the timber to get some rounds down range with it.

Looks like real nice glass. One of the big knocks on it was that the lever(Hinge) was too loose. It seems pretty rigid to me, but will have to run it some to see it it might loosen up over time.

Up next? im looking at adding a LPVO Scope on my Anderson 5.56 rifle.

Man! the high end Vortex Optics are SUPER EXPENSIVE!

Any suggestions? 1st Focal vs 2nd Focal?

Im leaning toward a Primary Arms ACSS 6x (1st Focal point)
Post 190 IP   flag post
I'll probably wake up constipated. Pre_Coder private msg quote post Address this user
You guys are too darn hi-tech for me.. LOL

I haven't fired a weapon since the late '80s.

My late father was a sniper during the Korean War, and he taught me,... a bullet's velocity, distance, wind direction, breathing technique,.. then you blow their f*cking head off.

Then you quickly relocate, cause there may possibly be a Chinese/Korean sniper zeroed in on your location as well.
Post 191 IP   flag post
Thanks "Dad" for his service........ Seems like he had some pretty good advice as well
Post 192 IP   flag post
I'll probably wake up constipated. Pre_Coder private msg quote post Address this user
I think he has a recorded 219 sniper kills,.. not counting spraying bullets during the night when the enemy were racing at him and his platoon.
Post 193 IP   flag post
@Pre_Coder

Its almost unbelievable what was thrust upon young men from these past generations, and the grit and valor they displayed in performing these impossible tasks. Hats off to your father and all of the other military folks who lay everything on the line fighting to preserve the Freedoms that many people often times take for granted.
Post 194 IP   flag post
"Forum Overlord" bah ha ha ha... JustThatGuy private msg quote post Address this user

My California Compliance Wifle and a blue Koopa shell to, hopefully, trips someone and reduce their size to 1/3.
Post 195 IP   flag post
Not trying to be an ass since February 12, 2020. HulkSmash private msg quote post Address this user

Post 196 IP   flag post
PLOD theCapraAegagrus private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

Always first focal plane.
Post 197 IP   flag post
@JustThatGuy @HulkSmash

LOL!! Be careful you could put and eye out with that thing!
Post 198 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by theCapraAegagrus
Quote:

Always first focal plane.

I tend to agree, but there are plenty of discussions about pro 2nd FP
Post 199 IP   flag post
Collector* Towmater private msg quote post Address this user
@BigRedOne1944

It comes down to if you are long range shooting or not. If you are, a 1st focal plane should be your choice. If not, then the reticle is more usable at lower magnifications on a second focal plane scope. Also, a second focal plane sight is generally cheaper.
Post 200 IP   flag post
@Towmater

Thanks for chiming in with your take on this age-old debate!

Range distances are one of the commonly discussed topics when it comes to the two optic styles, as well as such things such as being in timber vs open range, but there are other factors to consider as well. In the end it looks like it really comes down to what your intended use is and of course...... personal preference.

It seems like most hunters' side with the SFP, but my intentions are more from a tactical standpoint.

Im looking to hit at 300-400 yards which the SFP version of this optic is probably capable of doing at 6x magnification, plus a bit more usable reticle on the lower magnification as you said, and cheaper.

That said I do like the idea of not having to figure all the hold overs at any of the "in betweens" on the longer ranges.

While the 6x Primary Arms Raptor might be capable of making 400-500+ yards shots it might be pushing my skills and eyes using a 6x SFP optic.

One might be better served with a higher magnification Optic (10x 12x) to justify spending the extra money and using FFP should the intentions be shooting at longer ranges 500-800 yards.

While Im far from an expert of the topic, my thoughts are that the even though my intentions are not 500–800-yard shots, which Im Never going to be attempting to do, FFP would still be more advantageous for me and my eyes, even at those mid ranges. The optic would be used exclusively for shooting at those mid ranges of 300-400 yards, so the smaller reticle at lower magnification would not be an issue and the cost differential would also not be an issue for me.

I think at this point I have kind of made up my mind in going for the Primary Arms 6x Raptor with the FFP ACSS Reticle.
Post 201 IP   flag post
Collector* Towmater private msg quote post Address this user
@BigRedOne1944

Also, consideration needs to be given to the size of the intended target, the environment (which you kind of touched upon), the surroundings of the target, the light source - how strong or weak it is, and lastly, the most important factor of all - the shooter.
Post 202 IP   flag post
@Towmater

I think you hit the nail on the head.

One has to get out there a practice shooting skills in order to improve. All the fancy equipment in the world is meaningless if you are not out using if on a regular basis.

Deer Season just ended here in Illinois so I should have the Family Timber all to myself. Problem is its so damn cold and we got hit with some snow. Im not sure I can get down the lane to where I shoot, Even with 4WD. If I can reach out 200-300 yards with a Red dot and Magnifier, I might not even need a LPVO. Thats why I need to get out there and get some rounds down range with New Holosun Magnifier I just put on my Daniel Defense Rifle.

Post 203 IP   flag post
Well Its been to friggin cold to get outside and shoot, so I bought some wall mounts for some of my rifles.

Got some hand gun mounts on order as well. I'll probably end up re doing them on a different wall once I figure out what kind of wall space I have available.

Post 204 IP   flag post
I just picked up my new 4 inch Smith & Wesson pistol and I REALLY need to get to the range and get some rounds through it.

Never shot with anything other that iron sights on a pistol so the mounted red dot optic will be a learning experience. I can already tell just by my dry fire practice I don't like not being able to control the brightness of the Crimson Trace optic. With my eye astigmatism the red dot gets really exaggerated. I'll give it a try, but until I can obtain a Green dot optic with a manual brightness adjustment I'll probably just go with the fiber optic iron sights. I shoot pretty well with the green fiber optics front sights I have installed on all of my other pistols and I expect no less from this new 4 inch version.

I blew the Tranny cooler line on the truck plowing snow so I really have no way to get through the lane into the timber area where I usually shoot. Its still pretty friggin cold so I guess I will have to pay up and go to the local shooting parlor if I want to get some rounds through the new gun.

I also did FINALLY get those pistol wall mounts

Post 205 IP   flag post
601338 335 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?