Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
PLOD theCapraAegagrus private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Towmater
Written like someone who has never been downrange.

ok boomer

You get what you pay for.
Post 151 IP   flag post
Collector* Towmater private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by theCapraAegagrus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Towmater
Written like someone who has never been downrange.

ok boomer

You get what you pay for.

Okey Dokey, Mr. Mall Ninja.
Post 152 IP   flag post
I'm a #2. BigRedOne1944 private msg quote post Address this user
I got my Truglo Fiber optic sights installed on my "Smith & Wesson MP Pistol" today and got to the indoor range to give them a try!

I was able to run 300 rounds of cheap 115 Grain Steel Case Tulammo without any problems or malfunctions.
The S&W M@P Plus shot super smooth and flawlessly. Although I shot the steel casings without any problems, it is pretty dirty when you go to clean your gun.

I was shooting 3 seperate targets at 5-7 yards drawing from and OTW holster, moving side to side between the 3 targets including mag reloads.

I was able to pick up the front sight quickly. Aside from the shots I obviously threw (Mostly low left) due to poor tigger pulls.

The sights proved to be pretty dead on with nice groupings when my trigger pulls were more focused and discipline.

Overall I think I shot pretty well today for incorporating movement between multiple targets.

Here are my last set of targets

Weather here in Illinois is getting pretty chilly. Hopefully I'll be able to shoot 400-500 rounds a month at this indoor range until I can get back to my outside range after winter.

If you ain't shootin' it.... its just a paper weight
Post 153 IP   flag post
@Towmater LOL
Post 154 IP   flag post
Latest addition to the family........

Local Store was running a special 10% off on all firearms, as well as no Sales Tax(another 8%) so I figured what better time to pick up this Smith & Wesson Performance Center 9 mm pistol Ive had my eye on for awhile now.

and just to round things out at an even 20% discount I rang it up on a 2% cash back credit card

3 day wait pasted pretty quickly

I love the S&W M&P Line of hand guns. This full Size Pro Series Performance model come complete with 4 back straps, two 17 round magazines and a niffty little cleaning kit (I would have preferred another Mag, but oh well)

This full size model features a 5 inch barrel with fiber optic sights. The M&P grip texture is highly touted, but I found it to be just a tad to aggressive and sanded it down a bit. The trigger is much improved from the earlier M&P 1.0. There is still some travel in it, but once you hit the wall it has a crisp break and a nice reset. Im going to run some rounds through it tomorrow and see how she does.

Its the perfect compliment to my S&W Shield plus carry gun, which will see some more action at the shooting parlor tomorrow as well.

I shot a bunch of Russian Tulammo steel last week with no problems. This week Im gonna be running 400-500 rounds of 115 grain Winchester Brass from range packs I found at the local Bass Pro Shop.

I will be working on establishing a master grip on the new pistol and staying fundamentally sound with my Compact Shield Plus.

Remember..... If you ain't shootin it..... Its just a paper weight
Post 155 IP   flag post

Well, I got to the range to run some rounds through my new Smith & Wesson M&P Pistol.

I also took along my Smith & Wesson Shield plus carry gun to get some reps with it as well.

I ran a Winchester range pack of 200 (115 grain) through each pistol.

I worked on some stationary 4 inch targets at 3 yards before moving on to the 12 X 18 silhouettes.

The silhouettes were set up two at a time and I practiced moving back and forth between each silhouette with mag reloading.

First up with the Shield Plus drawing from side holster

5 Yards

Started on hitting a few low left then threw that high head shot trying to over compensate

7 Yards

Still threw a few low left, but much better front sight focus and trigger pulls this time

The Shield plus shot flawlessly

Up next...My new S&W M&P 2.0

The fiber optic sights appeared to be dead on after working on some 4 inch targets. with a 5 inch barrel the 2.0 had much less recoil than the 3 inch barrel on the Shield plus. Had to adjust to the weight differeance and then I was ready to move on to the Silhouettes.

5 Yards

Just a hint left with my trigger pulls and I threw that shot on the "7" line in virtually the same spot.

7 Yards

Pulled a couple low left, but got nice groups on this run. Don't know why I didn't move to no head shots on that last target.

Over all I was extremely happy with the "out of the Box" performance of the M&P 2.0. It shot smooth and accurate and with some more practice I believe I could tighten up my groupings possibly from 10 yards next time out.

I will say that the trigger on the 2.0, while much nicer than the ones on past M&P models was much better, but the take up time before hitting the trigger wall kind of bothered me. Im really thinking about swaping the trigger out for an Apex Trigger.

Anyways, I shot pretty decent and had fun!

Over the holiday weekend I might be able to get back to the range and try out some 9mm Browning brass Ive been find at my local Farm King store for a decent price.

Post 156 IP   flag post
Well, it was a beautiful day here in the mid west, so I took full advantage and was able to get out to the timber to sight in some new optics!

First up was this Sig Sauer Romeo5 Red dot on a Smith/Wesson 15-22 (.22 Longs)

After receiving it and initially trying to sight it I thought something was wrong with it as the Red dot was mis-shapend.

After a bit of research I come to find out that I have an astigmatism, Astigmatism is a type of refractive error due to rotational asymmetry in the eye's refractive power. This results in distorted or blurred vision at any distance.

This results in the Red Dot optic appearing mis-shapen, or often appearing with a sun burst effect.

I thought that I would be unable to use the Red Dot style optics, but some ole boys at the gun store told me that if I co-witnessed it with the rear Magpul iron sight the red dot would appear much more normal.

Low and behold.... they were right! I mounted the Red dot just in front of the rear magpul iron sight. When viewed through the rear aperture hole the the Red Dot optic was much better! Something about looking through that little hole effects eye's astigmatism.

50 yards
1st group High Left
After adjusting the windage and elevation I was pretty dead on with a nice grouping.

Pistol rounds in the smaller corner targets from 10 yards.

Next up...... My Anderson AR15 (5.56)

This is the first time I have been able to fire this weapon since I changed out the factory hand grips and added the 15 inch Stnger Hand rail. I did torque the barrel nut to the specs stated, so Im hoping no problems there.

After doing some more research on Eye Astigmatism, It was suggested that Holographic optics were much more advantageous for those with Eye Astigmatism.

So I purchased this Holosun sight to try out on my AR15. I must say the 2 MOA Green dot with the 65 MOA circle was VERY clear and visible!

First 5 shots at 50 yards I seem to be a bit wild. I think I was just gazing at the beautifully clear green optic and not really focusing on shot placement.

After Making sight adjustments and with much better focus, my second 5 shot grouping was MUCH better!

Again some pistol shots on the lower left target

Now it was time to try some shooting with both rifles with some movement added in. I worked on Kneeling as well as prone position shots from about 25-30 yards. One thing I really needed to work on was my trigger finger and safety control discipline, so I got lots of reps in on that.

I was actually quite surprised at how accurately my shot placements were with both of these optics. Especially the Smith & Wesson 15-22 with the Sig romeo5 Red dot. A few times I lost the dot outside of the iron sight aperture hole and had to slow down and focus a bit better. Of coarse being a .22 long Rifle caliber there is virtually no recoil and accuracy should be much easier to achieve once you get the gun zeroed.

The Holosun optic on the Anderson AR15 almost shot itself! Super clear! Very Happy with its performance!
Also didn't have any issues with the Anderson and the changes made with the handrail and barrel nut.

I have the Holosun 3x Magnifier on order to mount behind the Green Dot Holosun Optic

I also have on order this Daniel Defense M4 V7 Rifle. Can't wait to get this beauty set up and going!

Overall it was a Nice productive day at the range. Got lots of reps in , threw a few shots, but most were in the A zone area, so I was pretty happy with the shot placements I was able to achieve today.

My homemade target stands also performed beautifully after gluing the uprights

I was also able to get some pistol work in and got a chance to use the 3-D Torso Targets that I reinforced with foam and duct tape. I'll fill the holes with some calking and see how they fair over time.

Damn! after shooting rifles with Fancy optics, Pistol shooting with iron sights is a Son of a Bitch!

Well.... That's all for now, hopefully we get a few more nice days here in the mid west to get out to the range.

"If you ain't shootin' it, it's just a paperweight"

Be Safe all!
John
Post 157 IP   flag post
I love Sig optics. I have a Romeo5XDR with a Juliet3 magnifier on my AR. I may have already mentioned that earlier in thread. I also have Sig binoculars and rangefinder.

I love the magnifiers that rotate off the rail, because (obviously) you can default to 1x power with your dot sight, but also use your irons in case of failure. My best friend uses 3x power scopes and cannot use his irons in case of failure. Well, not unless be un-mounts them lol.
Post 158 IP   flag post
"Forum Overlord" bah ha ha ha... JustThatGuy private msg quote post Address this user
@BigRedOne1944 I love my DDM4v11 pro.
Post 159 IP   flag post
Quote:
I love Sig optics. I have a Romeo5XDR with a Juliet3 magnifier on my AR. I may have already mentioned that earlier in thread. I also have Sig binoculars and rangefinder.

I love the magnifiers that rotate off the rail, because (obviously) you can default to 1x power with your dot sight, but also use your irons in case of failure. My best friend uses 3x power scopes and cannot use his irons in case of failure. Well, not unless be un-mounts them lol.

@theCapraAegagrus

I do try to stay versed with the iron sights, but it's hard not to become "awed" with all of latest tech optics on the market today. The Sig Romeo5 is nice teamed up with the Magpul rear sight on my S&W 15-22 rifle to make it usable with the eye astigmatism Ive been experiencing. The "Motac" feature on the Romeo is awesome!

I did look at the Sig Juliet3 Magnifer, as it was also one of the top picks, but I didn't want to have to engage a button to flip the magnifier, which was the main complaint I read with users of the Sig Juliet. Have you used it in the field, and have you had any issues having to engage the release button?

Im running the Holosun 510C Green Dot on my AR. It also features the same "Motac" technology, and teaming it with the Holosun 3x magnifier just seemed the natural thing to do, plus it was 100 bucks cheaper. The main complaint I read with the holosun Magnifier, is it could possible flip up or down on its own, we'll see if that's a viable problem or not.
I could have likely save a bit more if I had purchased the 510C & 3x Magnifier combo deal.

Thanks for stopping by with your input and info! Keep your powder dry

Holosun Combo Magnifier
Post 160 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustThatGuy
@BigRedOne1944 I love my DDM4v11 pro.

SWEET V11! 18 inch barrel was longer than what I wanted, but the Geissele Automatics Super Dynamic 3 Gun Trigger definitely changes the ball game!

One of the biggest complaints with the V7 I bought(if you can call it that), is the GI trigger it comes with. I will likely have it changed out with a Geissele.

Have you utilize Key Mods on the rail for anything?

Post 161 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRedOne1944
I did look at the Sig Juliet3 Magnifer, as it was also one of the top picks, but I didn't want to have to engage a button to flip the magnifier, which was the main complaint I read with users of the Sig Juliet. Have you used it in the field, and have you had any issues having to engage the release button?

Huh... My Juliet3 has no such button. I manually rotate it off to the right side of the rail.
Post 162 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:

Huh... My Juliet3 has no such button. I manually rotate it off to the right side of the rail.

My Bad! I was looking at the review for the Sig Juliet3 Mirco

Sig Romeo3 Micro review

Man.... the Sig Juliet 3 and 4 look to be some of the top dogs. Im really thinking about spending the extra 50-100 bucks on one of them
Post 163 IP   flag post
Forum Crier OGJackster private msg quote post Address this user
This was from 300 yards...is that good?

Post 164 IP   flag post
@OGJackster Mehh (eye roll)
Post 165 IP   flag post
Collector furlo316 private msg quote post Address this user
My fun gun...
Post 166 IP   flag post
Quote:
My Bad! I was looking at the review for the Sig Juliet3 Micro

Sig Romeo3 Micro review

Man.... the Sig Juliet 3 and 4 look to be some of the top dogs. Im really thinking about spending the extra 50-100 bucks on one of them

Ah, interesting.

The Juliet3 fits my AR like a glove. My Romeo5XDR front end is practically parallel to the front end of my mag-well. The magnifier ends right before the charging handle. It's all a match made in heaven. I may have to find - or take - a pic to show how nice it all is.

I think that the Juliet4 may be a bit large for most 5.56 rails unless you move the dot sight to the handrail, or intend on rotating it off when engaging the charging handle, neither of which would be ideal.
Post 167 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by furlo316
My fun gun...

What the hell! Will it shoot 3 inch mortars on the 4th of July
Post 168 IP   flag post
@theCapraAegagrus Would love to see that Sig set up!
Post 169 IP   flag post
@BigRedOne1944 it'll run mortars and different percussive and concussive rounds, as well as accept caliber reducer inserts to shoot all manner of shotgun shells.
Post 170 IP   flag post
Quote:
@BigRedOne1944 it'll run mortars and different percussive and concussive rounds, as well as accept caliber reducer inserts to shoot all manner of shotgun shells.

Lots of BANG for the buck? I'd be Careful carrying that appendix
Post 171 IP   flag post
@BigRedOne1944 , yup, bangs of all different types... I'll have to dig up a pic when it was mounted to my AR carbine... =D
Post 172 IP   flag post
Here she is...
Post 173 IP   flag post
Collector teacha777 private msg quote post Address this user
Love my holosun 403c red dot and holosun magnifier combo. I can’t upload pics at the moment

Had to get on Wi-Fi, cellular was to slow

Post 174 IP   flag post
One of my latest, took some searching to get one at a decent price. This old girl is a tack driver thanks to an arsenal referb where a 50s Era Springfield barrel was swapped in.
Post 175 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by teacha777
Love my holosun 403c red dot and holosun magnifier combo. I can’t upload pics at the moment

Nice! One of the main complainants I hear about the Holosun 3x is that the hinge is not as solid as other magnifiers, (Vortex, Sig, etc..) on the market. Have you noticed any wobble or looseness in the operation of the hinge on the Holosun? How many rounds have you shot with the holosun set up?
Post 176 IP   flag post
Quote:
One of my latest, took some searching to get one at a decent price. This old girl is a tack driver thanks to an arsenal referb where a 50s Era Springfield barrel was swapped in.

Sweet! the one that won the war
Post 177 IP   flag post
Collector teacha777 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by teacha777

Nice! One of the main complainants I hear about the Holosun 3x is that the hinge is not as solid as other magnifiers, (Vortex, Sig, etc..) on the market. Have you noticed any wobble or looseness in the operation of the hinge on the Holosun? How many rounds have you shot with the holosun set up?

I haven’t had any issues but I’m not running around with it just going to the range. I had it for a year so I put through 100’s of rounds and it has never disengaged when I didn’t want it to. My complaint is it’s to stiff so not as practical to use (flipping back and forth) during an active shooter/intruder situation.
Post 178 IP   flag post
I don't want to brag, but cashiers are always checking me out. power_struggle55 private msg quote post Address this user

Post 179 IP   flag post
My local FFL dealer was able to get the transfer and all the paper work done Thursday, and I was able to take possession of my New Daniel Defense M4 V7 Rifle. A beautiful piece of work! but not with out some fault.

The Ambidextrous Safety absolutely sucks from my right handed shooter perspective. The ambi safety lever on the right side of the gun is way to long and interferes with my trigger hand.

The Good news.... It is removable.

The Bad news..... I wasn't able to shoot Friday as Heavy winds and rain battered the mid west. Tornadoes did heavy damage south of us that resulted in some deaths. Please say a prayer for all those effected.

The Good news.... Today we was blessed with another nice "Indian Summer" Day and I was able to get out to the timber again to shoot the first rounds through my new rifle! Of coarse I got some pistol work in as well

There was a little bit of wind and I had to employ the stakes for my target stands and they performed just fine again

I was using The Holosun 510C Green Dot. I haven't yet decided on which magnifier to get. Im still weighing the pros and cons, but it seems likely that I will pair this sight with the Holosun 3x magnifier. My old eyes were barely able to make out my zeroing target at 50 yards.

The DDV7 zeroed at 50 yards pretty quick. I was once again using cheap Tulammo steel case Russian ammo. I ran 250 rounds through the DDV7, once again moving between target stands 20-25 yards apart. The gun shot flawlessly with no malfunctions.

I also ran the same drills with my Smith & Wesson 15-22 using the Sig Sauer Romeo5 Red Dot. I felt I was a bit more accurate with the Sig at longer distances. weather it was the sight or lighter .22 Caliber LR.... maybe a little of both. Next time out I will switch the two sights out.

@theCapraAegagrus was really happy with his Sig Romeo Red dot/Juliet 3x magnifier. I may just buy a second magnifier, the juliet 3x and pair it with the Romeo5. After all they were meant to be together.

Super happy with the DD4V7! It shot flawless and smooth without any issues. Overall I kept most of my shots in the A, B zones of the targets.

Maybe I'll get lucky and get another nice range day in before Christmas
Post 180 IP   flag post
600893 335 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?