Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Secret Moderator MatterEaterLad private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by theCapraAegagrus
Quote:
Originally Posted by MatterEaterLad
Does anyone hunt? Bow season just started where I live. Oct 23 for rifle.

I have to go through Hunter's Safety. Probably will do it next month. Only have it to do it once in your life, then you can simply get your hunting license each year.

In Montana you don't have to take Hunter's Safety if you're an adult. Though it's never a bad idea, considering one year a guy shot a llama thinking it was a deer.
Post 126 IP   flag post
PLOD theCapraAegagrus private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by MatterEaterLad
In Montana you don't have to take Hunter's Safety if you're an adult. Though it's never a bad idea, considering one year a guy shot a llama thinking it was a deer.

Sadly, anyone in MI born after 1960 must take Hunter's Safety prior to obtaining their first hunting license.

I can't say that it's a bad idea. While I'm a veteran with firearms, I don't know jack-s^&* about hunting guidelines and etiquette.
Post 127 IP   flag post
Keep your $6.87 bro... not even saving tax with that. Cli4dR3D0g private msg quote post Address this user

Saw this randomly appear on the deck recently...
Post 128 IP   flag post
I'm a #2. BigRedOne1944 private msg quote post Address this user
Having some acreage to shoot at, the kids and I have been piecing together scrap from the junk pile into make shift targets. So I decided to make some home made target stands for our little gun range.

There are various PVC styles and builds on Youtube. While trying to keep the cost down, here are the stands that I assembled for less than $20. The cost could be higher, but I had some of the items already in my tool shed (PVC Glue, Paint, Scrap plywood, screws, staples etc..)

Parts I did have to buy:

1 - 10 ft 1 1/2 inch PVC pipe ($8)

4 - 1 1/2 inch PVC tee's ($1.60 ea ) ($6.40)

1 - 2 x 2 inch wood furrowing strip (8 ft) $2.79

Note: I did have to trim the 2x2 wood strips on my table saw to fit into the 1 1/2 PVC pipe.

Stands consist of:

6 - 12 inch pieces
1 - 20 inch piece
4 - Tee's
1 - 2 x 2 (8 ft) Furrowing Strip ( cut into 2 4ft pieces)
( you should have a 24 inch piece of PVC left over to use on the next stand )

I glued everything but the two legs on the upright cross member piece. This allows me to break the stands down to easily store or transport.

I can quickly assemble the upright piece in the field. I did see a guy on you tube fill the bottom legs with gravel and glue end caps on, but that added some additional cost, so I drilled 4 holes in the base legs to pin the stand to the ground for stability if need be.

Then add the 4 ft wood uprights, which I added scrap plywood, cardboard backing I had lying around in the rafters. I initially made the stand on the right at 18 inches wide and then decide to make the others at 24 inches wide to accommodate the wider targets.

We may take them out to the range tomorrow and try them out, depending on the weather.
Post 129 IP   flag post
Well I had my new Target stands out in the field and it was kind of windy so I used the stake hole to pin the stands to the ground which worked great!

The problem was that I choose not to glue the uprights to make the stands more modular. The wind ended up working the unglued uprights loose causing them to fall over.

I now have the uprights glued and they should work perfectly next time out in the field.

Post 130 IP   flag post

Moderator Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
@BigRedOne1944 just curious, did you consider drilling holes through the uprights and corresponding tees and using a bolt or pin instead of gluing? I'm just wondering if that would have worked so you could still break down the stand.

BTW, glad you got them to work!! I was curious after your construction post four weeks ago.
Post 131 IP   flag post
@Jesse_O

That is an idea I had not thought of, it would incur some additional cost and gluing them was much quicker.

I have not had them back out, but I believe they will work just fine. Breaking them down was a good option if I had to always bring them back home to store, but I do have the option of just leaving out in the field.
Post 132 IP   flag post
Collector 50AE_DE private msg quote post Address this user
Picture of my arsenal. It looks pretty menacing without the flash of the camera.

Post 133 IP   flag post
Collector teacha777 private msg quote post Address this user
When I did my hunter certification for long term fire arm storage they said to store the gun muzzle side down to prevent the gun gunk from getting into the action and trigger. YMMV

Nice collection btw
Post 134 IP   flag post
Moderator Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by teacha777
... store the gun muzzle side down to prevent the gun gunk from getting into the action and trigger.

Did they not teach that you should your guns after use? Seriously, this sounds like advice that someone who never cleans their guns would give.
Post 135 IP   flag post
I'll probably wake up constipated. Pre_Coder private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse_O
Quote:
... store the gun muzzle side down to prevent the gun gunk from getting into the action and trigger.

Did they not teach that you should your guns after use? Seriously, this sounds like advice that someone who never cleans their guns would give.

Exactly!

Always clean your guns after use.
Post 136 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse_O
Quote:

It said old lubricant/oil can gunk up the action/trigger as well that’s why I said for long term storage. Ever since I’ve been doing it haven’t noticed anything negative, but I noticed everything smoother(bcg and trigger) but that could just be those parts being broken in *shrug. As always YMMV

This was NY’s hunter cert program fyi
Post 137 IP   flag post
People seriously clean their guns after every use? Unless you're firing off 1k rounds that's really unnecessary, but to each their own.
Post 138 IP   flag post
My rule of thumb is at least 100 rounds<

With ammo prices the way they are takes at least a couple of trips to the range
Post 139 IP   flag post
Collector 50AE_DE private msg quote post Address this user
Here is a better picture of my collection.

Post 140 IP   flag post
Quote:
My rule of thumb is at least 100 rounds<

With ammo prices the way they are takes at least a couple of trips to the range

Mine is usually 'once a year'. If ammo prices were normal, it would probably be every 500 rounds or so (100 for bolt-action). None of my stuff is vintage and they are designed to take a beating.

If people want to treat them like antiques, then that's fine. I'm personally not interested in babying them because rifles in particular are just a b^&*h to disassemble and reassemble. "Time is money".

It's kinda funny because I'm relatively OCD about cleanliness regarding most of the other stuff in my life. I guess that, in my mind, guns are just meant to be dirty.
Post 141 IP   flag post
Collector* Towmater private msg quote post Address this user
Guns that are dirty don't function when they should. Nothing like having a bang stick that doesn't go bang when you depress the trigger because you couldn't take 10 or 15 minutes after a day at the range to strip it, clean it, and reassemble it as well as the other firearms you brought to shoot that day.

Firearms are tools. They need to be cared for just like any other tool that one has in the house. The only difference is that the firearm might be needed to save your life or someone else's. A dirty firearm effects its performance.

I wouldn't carry anything that I doesn't get cleaned at the first of every month. Yes, I clean the firearms that I carry every 30 days even if I went to the range with them and cleaned them. Magazines need to be unloaded and rotated that the same time. My routine has served me well for the last 30+ years.
Post 142 IP   flag post
I Like to keep my fire arms reasonably clean and the type of use and rounds fired usually dictates when I clean and Oil them.

AR15's are easily and quickly broken down and I rather enjoy keeping them cleaned and well oiled.

I need to get out to the range and get some shots through my AR15 that I just put a new Stinger Hand Rail on. I had to swap out the Barrel nut and have yet to run any test rounds through it. Yes I did torch the barrel nut to the proper specs.

My new Stinger Handrail

Post 143 IP   flag post
"Forum Overlord" bah ha ha ha... JustThatGuy private msg quote post Address this user
Just finished this .300 blackout

Ruger 5.56

Bearcreek 7.62x39 upper on Ruger

And my fav fav fav wifle

And last but not least “I’m your huckleberry”

Post 144 IP   flag post
Have I told you about the time I dropped off 3,000 comics at SDCC? Scifinator private msg quote post Address this user
@SteveRicketts - did you get a CC Pocket holster for the M&P?
Post 145 IP   flag post
@JustThatGuy
Nice looking rifles!
Post 146 IP   flag post
"Forum Overlord" bah ha ha ha... JustThatGuy private msg quote post Address this user
@BigRedOne1944 thanks. I haven’t had the chance to try out the .300 blkout or the 7.62x39, yet. Ammo for the .300 is hard to find or they want an AF-15 price for them.
Post 147 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Towmater
Guns that are dirty don't function when they should. Nothing like having a bang stick that doesn't go bang when you depress the trigger because you couldn't take 10 or 15 minutes after a day at the range to strip it, clean it, and reassemble it as well as the other firearms you brought to shoot that day.

I have never interacted with a single person whose AR or pistol did not function because it was not cleaned sub 1k rounds.

You get what you pay for.
Post 148 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustThatGuy
Just finished this .300 blackout

.300 BLK is my best friend's hunting round. It's been affected by the last couple years of ridiculous ammo inflation more than most calibers.
Post 149 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:

I have never interacted with a single person whose AR or pistol did not function because it was not cleaned sub 1k rounds.

Written like someone who has never been downrange.
Post 150 IP   flag post
Quote:

ok boomer

Post 151 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:

ok boomer

Okey Dokey, Mr. Mall Ninja.
Post 152 IP   flag post
I got my Truglo Fiber optic sights installed on my "Smith & Wesson MP Pistol" today and got to the indoor range to give them a try!

I was able to run 300 rounds of cheap 115 Grain Steel Case Tulammo without any problems or malfunctions.
The S&W M@P Plus shot super smooth and flawlessly. Although I shot the steel casings without any problems, it is pretty dirty when you go to clean your gun.

I was shooting 3 seperate targets at 5-7 yards drawing from and OTW holster, moving side to side between the 3 targets including mag reloads.

I was able to pick up the front sight quickly. Aside from the shots I obviously threw (Mostly low left) due to poor tigger pulls.

The sights proved to be pretty dead on with nice groupings when my trigger pulls were more focused and discipline.

Overall I think I shot pretty well today for incorporating movement between multiple targets.

Here are my last set of targets

Weather here in Illinois is getting pretty chilly. Hopefully I'll be able to shoot 400-500 rounds a month at this indoor range until I can get back to my outside range after winter.

If you ain't shootin' it.... its just a paper weight
Post 153 IP   flag post
@Towmater LOL
Post 154 IP   flag post
Latest addition to the family........

Local Store was running a special 10% off on all firearms, as well as no Sales Tax(another 8%) so I figured what better time to pick up this Smith & Wesson Performance Center 9 mm pistol Ive had my eye on for awhile now.

and just to round things out at an even 20% discount I rang it up on a 2% cash back credit card

3 day wait pasted pretty quickly

I love the S&W M&P Line of hand guns. This full Size Pro Series Performance model come complete with 4 back straps, two 17 round magazines and a niffty little cleaning kit (I would have preferred another Mag, but oh well)

This full size model features a 5 inch barrel with fiber optic sights. The M&P grip texture is highly touted, but I found it to be just a tad to aggressive and sanded it down a bit. The trigger is much improved from the earlier M&P 1.0. There is still some travel in it, but once you hit the wall it has a crisp break and a nice reset. Im going to run some rounds through it tomorrow and see how she does.

Its the perfect compliment to my S&W Shield plus carry gun, which will see some more action at the shooting parlor tomorrow as well.

I shot a bunch of Russian Tulammo steel last week with no problems. This week Im gonna be running 400-500 rounds of 115 grain Winchester Brass from range packs I found at the local Bass Pro Shop.

I will be working on establishing a master grip on the new pistol and staying fundamentally sound with my Compact Shield Plus.

Remember..... If you ain't shootin it..... Its just a paper weight
Post 155 IP   flag post
600642 335 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?