Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
I like bean sprouts. James42 private msg quote post Address this user
I'm lucky enough to be less than 10 minutes from a PSA store. It's great when I need a small part, and terrible when I don't want to spend too much. Just stay away on sale days, it gets really stupid really fast.
Post 276 IP   flag post
I'm a #2. BigRedOne1944 private msg quote post Address this user
@James42

Yes it can become addictive just like comic books
Post 277 IP   flag post
Well... I finally got back out to do some shooting last weekend.

Out to my co-workers land to do some shooting.

His oldest daughter(19) recently took a job with a state prison and had to qualify shooting.

It was heart warming to see her and her mother teaching her younger sister (11) how to safely handle and shoot. we started her out with a small .22 pistol and she did remarkably well.

Her dad and I later got his new rifle zeroed and was able to practice 200 yard shots at some balloons. I think we did fairly well and was able to hit pretty consistent. He was using his new Palmentto State Armory 16 inch AR15 with a Sig Romeo 5 w/ Juliet Magnifier.

I was shooting my Palmentto State Armory Pistol (11.5 inch barrel) w/Holosun 510 Optic

While he did have a bit of an advantage with a 16 inch barrel and a magnifier, I was still able to hold my own with the 11.5 inch barrel and no magnifier.

One thing of note: after firing 60 shots, I noticed my hand rail on my gun had rattled loose. I did get it back home and re-installed it with some loctight.

All in all it was a good day of shooting.
Post 278 IP   flag post
Collector GanaSoth private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by James42
Took some British coworkers to the range just before Labor Day, and one of them was filming me with my T53. Fireballs are fun.

Especially when ya spray carburetor cleaner in your gun barrle... Hahaha. (kidding)
Post 279 IP   flag post

I haven't been shooting much lately. I have been cleaning guns and taking pictures of them so the owner of my company can decide which ones to use in a promotional photo shoot. So that's been interesting.
Post 280 IP   flag post

Quote:
Originally Posted by GanaSoth
Quote:
Took some British coworkers to the range just before Labor Day, and one of them was filming me with my T53. Fireballs are fun.

Especially when ya spray carburetor cleaner in your gun barrle... Hahaha. (kidding)

The carbine length Mosin variants are nuts. Since most 7.62x54r ammunition these days is loaded to spec for machine guns, there is a lot of unburned propellant when the projectile leaves the barrel. I'm pretty sure the T53 throws more spectacular fireballs than my 7.5" AR, and fireballs are the only real reason to have a 7.5" AR.
Post 281 IP   flag post
PLOD theCapraAegagrus private msg quote post Address this user
I went to the range a couple weeks ago in attempt to zero my sniper with suppressor at 200 meters. Only put 23 shots through it, but my shoulder was sore for a couple of days. That's what I get for not working out for a couple of months...

I was able to verify my AR zero, and shoot some 9 mm, though. My sniper is on paper at 200 meters, too, so still a productive visit.
Post 282 IP   flag post
Collector GanaSoth private msg quote post Address this user
@James42 Yeah, I have a SKS, that uses 7.62s so I know what ya mean.
Post 283 IP   flag post
Collector Frontier2Xterra private msg quote post Address this user
@BigRedOne1944 what are your thoughts on 6.5 Creedmoor? Thinking of getting new rifle. Uses would primarily be range and deer. Thanks for thoughts.
Post 284 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frontier2Xterra
@BigRedOne1944 what are your thoughts on 6.5 Creedmoor? Thinking of getting new rifle. Uses would primarily be range and deer. Thanks for thoughts.

@Frontier2Xterra

Im not a large game hunter so I prefer to stay with the few calibers that I can easily buy, use and store in bulk. for me that's going to be 9 mm for my hand guns and .22LR, 2.23 & 5.56 for my rifles.

The 6.5 Creedmoor is a relatively new caliber and often compared to the long standing 308 Winchester.

Im not real versed with the 6.5 Creedmoor and the other board members would likely be more informative on that caliber.

My interest is in self defense. so if I was looking for a rifle with more knock down power at closer ranges I believe i would more likely buy a 308 caliber.

Here is an interesting excerpt from a 6.5 creedmoor vs 308 winchester debate......

6.5 Creedmoor vs 308: Which Is Right For You?

"The 6.5 Creedmoor and .308 Winchester are both flat shooting cartridges well suited for hunting thin skinned, small to medium sized animals like blacktail deer, mule deer, whitetail deer, fallow deer, or pronghorn.

While they are excellent choices for hunting deer sized game, these cartridges, but particularly the .308 Winchester, are also suitable for bigger game under the right conditions. When using well constructed bullets and with proper shot placement, they will absolutely work for elk and even moose hunting at reasonable ranges. They’re also acceptable choices for hunting many species of African plains game.

Don’t let anyone tell you that the 6.5 Creedmoor is too small for moose or elk. Scandinavian hunters have taken untold numbers of moose with the 6.5x55mm Swedish over the past century. That cartridge has ballistics very similar to the 6.5 Creedmoor and is a good example of what a high sectional density bullet will do on really big game animals with excellent shot placement.

That said, the 6.5 Creedmoor and .308 Winchester are definitely in a different league from heavy hitting cartridges like the 7mm Rem Mag and .300 Win Mag when it comes to hunting really tough, big, or dangerous game.

Do you primarily hunt medium sized game like deer, feral hogs, or black bear at ranges within 200 yards? Both cartridges will absolutely get the job done if you do your part and there isn’t much of a difference between them ballistically inside of 300 yards. Go with the .308 Winchester if you want the cheapest or easiest to find deer hunting ammo.

Are you interested in the better cartridge for hunting game like mule deer or pronghorn in open country where you might need to take a shot at several hundred yards? Both will also work in this role, but the 6.5 Creedmoor has a flatter trajectory, will drift less in the wind, and still carries enough energy out to 400-500 yards to cleanly take deer sized game without any issues.

Do you prefer to use a semi-automatic rifle for hunting or want a battle rifle for personal defense? Go with the .308 Winchester as there are many more quality rifles available in this cartridge than the 6.5 Creedmoor.

Are you sensitive to recoil? Go with the 6.5 Creedmoor. This cartridge is especially well suited to new, small framed, and or recoil shy hunters. Indeed, a good rifle chambered in 6.5 Creedmoor is a great gift for a hunter who is just getting started.

Are you a serious long range shooter searching for the cartridge best suited for target shooting out to 1,200 yds or so in a precision rifle? Again, go with the 6.5 Creedmoor, which really stands head and shoulders above the .308 Winchester for long range precision shooting.

Do you want a cartridge well suited for elk, moose, caribou, kudu, eland, or red stag hunting? Especially when using heavier bullets, the .308 Winchester wins hands down here due to the big advantage the cartridge has in in frontal surface area as well as energy under 200 yards.

The 6.5 Creedmoor and the .308 Winchester are both excellent rifle cartridges. While the differences between them (6.5 Creedmoor vs 308 Winchester) are pretty big in some areas, one isn’t really “better” than the other on the whole. Carefully evaluate your needs as a hunter based upon the circumstances you foresee using the cartridge in, get a good hunting rifle chambered in the cartridge you select, learn to shoot it well, use quality bullets, and you’ll be all set for most hunting situations."

Interesting Stuff indeed! I also believe the 308 ammo is more readily available, as well as a bit cheaper.

Stay Safe!
Post 285 IP   flag post
@BigRedOne1944 thank you for the response, insight, and knowledge. Much appreciated. Will very much take it into consideration. When “pulling the trigger” on the next purchase.
Post 286 IP   flag post
Quote:

Semiautomatic or bolt action? If a semi, which ones? I would also consider 270 Winchester and 243 Winchester.
Post 287 IP   flag post
Base gun I ordered over Black Friday / cyber Monday special. I don’t really care about anything but the guts. Got a savage axis xp ii in 6.5 Creedmoor with scope for $277 out the door. Reason is, it’s a “starter rifle”. The stock is cheap and flexes. The actual gun itself is solid, accurate, and reliable and this will be the base. I ordered an at-one stock from Boyd’s stocks. This will change out from the crap synthetic stock to wood. Length and cheek riser is adjustable. Stock was $255. Below is the design but not the color. I’m not showing that till I have it together.

so I am now at $512 for a scoped, adjustable long range rifle. Scope will be replaced. Still debating on which one. Will also be changing out bolt arm and sleeve. Scope I’m thinking a vortex but not sure yet.

with the axis II, it already had an adjustable trigger down to 3#. One of the reasons I got it. We’ll see if I replace that or not.
Post 288 IP   flag post
Oh. I also added this to the collection not long ago. Don’t think I posted it.

Post 289 IP   flag post
@Frontier2Xterra

Great to see you made a choice! As i said earlier Im not real familiar with the Creedmoor platform.

Question..... unlike the AR platform that Creedmoor looks to be one solid piece. Would that be consider the "Lower" that contains the serial number? Congratulations on the purchase!

Nice looking Kimber.... Have you shot it? My brother had one and sold it.... said it was junk cause he couldn't hit the broad side of a barn door with it..... I begged to differ.... It was undisciplined shooting by someone who wasn't prepared to shoot a larger caliber handgun like the .45 ACP

Keep your head low and yer powder dry!
Post 290 IP   flag post
@Frontier2Xterra The Axis is a good little rifle, especially at that price. Considering it's basically a 110 redesigned for less costly manufacturing, the basic platform is well proven. I dig the replacement furniture, too.

Hope the Kimber treats you well; I have long felt they were overpriced. Too many horror stories of guns that wouldn't run reliably without lots of work. I have two 1911s; one a Canadian Para Ordnance in .38 Super, and the other a North Carolina Para USA in .45. Both 100 percent reliable so far (knock on wood), and I have had the .45 for a decade or so.
Post 291 IP   flag post
Quote:
Stock was $255. Below is the design but not the color. I’m not showing that till I have it together.

Good, because I was gonna say, "awesome design, hideous natural color" lol.
Post 292 IP   flag post
Shot the Kimber over Turkey day weekend. Extremely accurate. No issues and very very smooth.
Post 293 IP   flag post
I haven't aired it out. It's part of the provenance. Galen130 private msg quote post Address this user
Cleaned up my most-prized semiauto pistol...Springfield Armory MCP Operator .45. It has more 'safety' features than I'm used to, but it's a beautiful firearm. Got so used to owning/shooting Sigs that don't have any safeties...except my trigger finger. LMAO

Love that 1911-like kick!!!

Post 294 IP   flag post
@Galen130 I love my 1911s. It's a brilliant little design, and the only thing that comes close is the HiPower. Which is fitting, since JMB designed it to get around the Colt-held patents on the 1911.

Post 295 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galen130
...Got so used to owning/shooting Sigs that don't have any safeties...except my trigger finger. LMAO

I feel compelled to have a safety on all of my stuff because I play around with them too much.
Post 296 IP   flag post
Lots of nice hardware fellas

Its been getting cold out and it's Deer hunting season and my brothers don't want me out shootin up the timber around their deer stands so Ive been working on a few other projects.

Ive been wanting a dueling tree target stand for some time now. Buying a quality built Dueling tree cost $400-$500. I finally broke down and bought a set of 3/8 AR500 6 inch steel targets and the tubes to build my own dueling tree. I got the Paddle kit from "Make it Ring" for $95.00. Probably could have gotten the kit a bit cheaper on Amazon, but I trust the quality of "Make it Ring"

Next up was to find a piece of 1/4 inch angle Iron. found the perfect piece at local scrap yard for $9

Im certainly not much of a welder, So I had a friend's son weld the paddle tubes into place on the angel Iron.

Cleaned it up and got some primer coats on it.

My intentions was to just drive the Angel Iron in the ground, but that didn't work as well as I had hoped, so I am now back at the grinding table working on making a stand for it (more on that later)

For now I got the paddles painted up and ready to go

Still scavenging for some steel to make the rest of the stand. Once I get the parts fabricated I'll need that boy to do some more welding for me.

I'll keep ya updated!
Post 297 IP   flag post
@BigRedOne1944 One of my dreams is to have enough land to be able to shoot whenever I want. My brother-in-law and his new bride are talking about buying a spread out in the country, however, so I may have the next best thing available soon.
Post 298 IP   flag post
Quote:
One of my dreams is to have enough land to be able to shoot whenever I want.

Same here.
Post 299 IP   flag post
@James42 @theCapraAegagrus

I hope you guys get a chance at some "Land"

I have been blessed that my Late Grand Parents, Hazel and Frank (God Bless their souls) Left us 5 Grand Kids 56 Acres of timber. That sacred ground has become known simply as ...... "Hazelwood"

They were Legendary! They endured the Great Depression and 2 World Wars, as well as the Sanitariums during the Tuberculosis era that claimed many lives.

No one talked shit to Granny Hazel, who didn't get called out on it. She was blunt, but honestly fair and tough as nails. The world could sure use a few more Frank & Granny Hazel's. I love her and my Grand father and miss their knowledge, Love and wisdom every day. "Hazelwood" is indeed a very special place.

Post 300 IP   flag post
Looks out of box and ensuring atleast boresighted before starting.

Back home from my dad’s place with the land to shoot and upgrading stock and plastic trigger guard to nickel.

I actually don’t mind the scope it came with for now. Will also be getting fluted bolt, longer handle, and bi-pod. But here it is thus far.
Post 301 IP   flag post
Collector Murm private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRedOne1944
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murmonster
Any Marylanders on here going for their MD concealed carry permit due to the recent law change? Just signed up myself requires 16 hours of classroom training and live fire qualification. Was hoping that already having my UT & FL non-resident concealed carry would help but nope I need to start from scratch.

A little extra training never hurts..... Good Luck

I will be signing up for Illinois

16 classroom and Live fire qualification hours as well.

I decided to put my class off but finally completed this week and submitted my application to MSP should have my permit within 90 days. Treated myself to a Glock 43X as I gave my 43 to my son.
Post 302 IP   flag post
Keep your $6.87 bro... not even saving tax with that. Cli4dR3D0g private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRedOne1944
Quote:
Any Marylanders on here going for their MD concealed carry permit due to the recent law change? Just signed up myself requires 16 hours of classroom training and live fire qualification. Was hoping that already having my UT & FL non-resident concealed carry would help but nope I need to start from scratch.

A little extra training never hurts..... Good Luck

I will be signing up for Illinois

16 classroom and Live fire qualification hours as well.

I decided to put my class off but finally completed this week and submitted my application to MSP should have my permit within 90 days. Treated myself to a Glock 43X as I gave my 43 to my son.

Nice. Hope you like the 43X. Extra capacity is always a bonus.
Post 303 IP   flag post
@Frontier2Xterra That Savage Rifle is the damnest thing Ive ever seen!

@Murmonster Congratulations on the 43X
Post 304 IP   flag post
@BigRedOne1944 thanks! Fluted bolt now complete.

Post 305 IP   flag post
601329 335 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?