Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Not trying to be an ass since February 12, 2020. HulkSmash private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Towmater
Somebody needs to explain the climb in aftermarket prices of the H&K P7’s. I bought my P7 for around $600 about 7 years ago and I just looked up their value. Blew my mind.
get it now before can’t would be the likely explanation. With recent events and conversation concerning those events a hike in price and the willingness to pay those prices for certain types of firearms would not be out of line for your stereotypical “gun nut”.
Post 251 IP   flag post
I'm a #2. BigRedOne1944 private msg quote post Address this user
OK Got some of my new equipment out in the the field yesterday. Damn it was friggin hot!

First up Im going to work on zeroing this Daniel Defense Rifle with a Vortex Strike Eagle 1-6x24 LPVO I just mounted on it. I also just threw a cheap bi-pod on the front.

Im using a standard 50/200 yard zeroing target at the required 25 yards distance. The targets are set up for 2.5 inch sight over bore, which the Vortex Strike Eagle does sit at on this rifle. You can find and print these zeroing targets online.

My first three shot group was super low, but HEY! Im on paper!

I just blindly ran the elevation turret up a full turn and the first shot in my second group(#2) was way high. I dialed it back down about half way before the second group(#2), I was still a bit high and to the left. After adjusting turrets for group #3 I was good on windage, but went a bit low on the elevation. After making more adjustments for shot Group #4 I was pretty darn close to the required point of impact needed.

A couple more sets of fine tuning and I think Im good to go with a 50/200 yard zero on this Daniel Defense V7 Rifle.

50 yard verification ( I do have access to make a 200 yard shot to verify at that range, but it was friggin hot and I didn't want to walk the 200 yards to verify. Next purchase will likely be a spotting scope

I was pretty happy with the eye relief I had set on the Vortex Strike Eagle and it displayed very nice clarity with the glass. While I was able to pick up the dot in the reticle pretty easily even on this very bright hot sunny day, with my old eyes I would not have complained if the illumination was a bit brighter (Nit picking) Overall I was very impressed with the optic.

Without question Im super happy to have this Vortex optic on my side

Next up is my Anderson AR rifle which I just recently gave a "Rattle Can" Paint job to. I was trying to go for a "Urban" Environment camo scheme. At first I was kind of disapponited with my paint job, but it seems to now be growing on me. lets see how she does in the field.

I previously had this Holosun 510c set up on this Anderson Rifle, as well as on my Daniel Defense rifle with a 100 yard zero on it. Today we are going to go for the same 50/200 yard zero as we did on the previous rifle above. After all of the debates on the different zeroes, I decided the 50/200 was the best for my needs.

After a few shot groups I had the Holosun dialed in to the 50/200 yard zero requirements. This Anderson Rifle was one of the first rifles I had purchased and is considered a more budget level rifle, but it has performed well over the last couple years and has never failed. Solid equipment from Anderson MFG IMHO.

50 Yard verification (Again I will attempt the 200 yards verification once I get some kind of spotting scope)

The Holosun 510c again performed very well. The glass is very clear for an optic in this price range and it has a very big view window. Im also very partial to the Green Reticle as opposed to the Red. My old eyes just seem to do a bit better with the Green.

The Holosun magnifier I was using with the 510c is only a 3x compared to the 6x zoom on the vortex Strike Eagle, I was still able to see clearly at 100 yards or so. The 6x vortex will no doubt be more advantageous at longer distances. The Holosun Magnifier is a bit longer than some of the other magnifiers Ive seen and it does take up a bit more real state, but most of that room is on the back side where the charging handle is.

I should also note that I was shooting some cheaper .223 Red Ops steel case ammo. I will go back and re-zero using a higher quality brass case 5.56 round. That said The Red Ops steel did perform with out a hitch in both rifles. No failures to feed,fire or eject.

I let a few rounds go at 120 yards as fast as I could pull the trigger. I think I was forcing myself to hold high, but at this distance with a 50 yard zero it wasn't really necessary to do so. I think it caused me to throw a few shots and hit high on some others.

The Pros & Cons between the "Red Dot" and "LPVO" will no doubt continue, and while I certainly love having both of these optic options available and at my disposal, it really is a matter of personal opinion on what works best for you. After using both of these optics I don't believe I would give up my Holosun 510c in favor of the LPVO, but I sure do like the idea of having the Vortex Strike Eagle as viable longer range shooting option in my Arsenal.

Obviously I will need to continue to practice. While the internet is full of useful information. Nothing can replace going to the range/field and actually shooting to find out for yourself how different optics and ammunition's are going to work with your particular rifle or pistol platforms

Anyway... had a lot of fun and can't wait to get out again maybe next weekend.

Stay Safe!
Post 252 IP   flag post
PLOD theCapraAegagrus private msg quote post Address this user
So... I've been a Federal brand-wh*re for as long as I have been shooting. Well, a couple weekends ago I went shooting in a friend's backyard. I didn't have any extra Federal, so I bought some Sig ammo. I had never shot ammo before that didn't leave GSR on the end of my barrel and components.

I'm switching all of my reserves, and buying only Sig Sauer ammo (if possible). Sig producing the M4 replacement - the M5 - is a plus.
Post 253 IP   flag post
Im glad to see you were able to get out and send some rounds down range!

In reference to your affection for Federal Brand..... I seem to "Cheap Ammo" - Wh*re Although I have stocked up on some Brand name Ammo when I can catch it on sale at reasonable prices.
Post 254 IP   flag post
Added this "Scratch & Dent" PSA AR pistol to me collection today. The price was just too good to pass up and with an 11.5 inch barrel it is perfect for home defense inside your home. Doesn't look like Im going to be able to get it out to the field this weekend.

I do believe Im going to pair it up with the Holosun 510 Green Dot, which has become my favorite optic and will be a match made in heaven for this AR pistol.

Now.... if I can just come up with the 300 bucks to buy it
Post 255 IP   flag post

I like bean sprouts. James42 private msg quote post Address this user

It's been a while since I was able to get to the range, but here's a photo from a trip my dad and I took this spring. Everything on the table is somebody's military surplus. Left to right: Yugoslavian refurb K98k, Yugoslavian M48, Lee-Enfield No. 4 Mk. 1 (ex-Ethiopia), Capco M16A2 upper (ex-USCG or USAF, on an Aero lower), M1 Garand. The empty slot on the right is for the M1 Carbine Dad was shooting when I took the photo.

Modern rifles are fun, but I really prefer surplus.
Post 256 IP   flag post
Oh, I didn't tell you guys the good news yet...? My suppressor was approved last Monday. Took about 15 months. Should be in-hand sometime next week.
Post 257 IP   flag post
@James42
Quality time spent with your dad, great to see

Love the vintage rifles!

My brother has two M1 Garands and they super cool to shoot you can just feel the history in them. I’ve been looking to add one to my collection. Indeed the “rifle that won the war”

Thanks for stopping by and posting the cool pics and story
Post 258 IP   flag post
@theCapraAegagrus

I remember you posting about the supressor earlier. I believed we discussed the high price and long wait times on them.

Was it for a 300 Black Out? Could we see your set up with it?

Have you tried it out?

At the moment I have no plans to jump through the hoops to obtain one.

Any new laws in Michigan concerning them ?

What is this, 20 questions? Oops that’s another one! 🤪

Be safe
Post 259 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRedOne1944
@theCapraAegagrus

I remember you posting about the supressor earlier. I believed we discussed the high price and long wait times on them.

Was it for a 300 Black Out? Could we see your set up with it?

Have you tried it out?

At the moment I have no plans to jump through the hoops to obtain one.

Any new laws in Michigan concerning them ?

What is this, 20 questions? Oops that’s another one! 🤪

Be safe

I bought it specifically for my .300 Win Mag, but it'll fit any .30 cal with the proper threads. I'll try to post an image once it's in-hand and attached, as it won't be here for another week or so.

The only MI-specific firearm laws that I'm aware of is the requirement to register pistols, and requirement of a CPL to conceal-carry (which could be struck down soon).
Post 260 IP   flag post
"Forum Overlord" bah ha ha ha... JustThatGuy private msg quote post Address this user

Post 261 IP   flag post
Quote:
My brother has two M1 Garands and they super cool to shoot you can just feel the history in them. I’ve been looking to add one to my collection. Indeed the “rifle that won the war"

Go through the CMP. Best way to get one at a good price.
Post 262 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by James42
Quote:
My brother has two M1 Garands and they super cool to shoot you can just feel the history in them. I’ve been looking to add one to my collection. Indeed the “rifle that won the war"

Go through the CMP. Best way to get one at a good price.

My brother obtained his some years back ($300) through a state program. I believe he said he had to shoot so many rounds at a state sponsored range to gain access to the Surplus.

CMP? could you enlighten me on this? Also note Im from Illinois
Post 263 IP   flag post
Quote:

Educated guess: Civilian Marksmanship Program
Post 264 IP   flag post
Collector Murm private msg quote post Address this user
Any Marylanders on here going for their MD concealed carry permit due to the recent law change? Just signed up myself requires 16 hours of classroom training and live fire qualification. Was hoping that already having my UT & FL non-resident concealed carry would help but nope I need to start from scratch.
Post 265 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murmonster
Any Marylanders on here going for their MD concealed carry permit due to the recent law change? Just signed up myself requires 16 hours of classroom training and live fire qualification. Was hoping that already having my UT & FL non-resident concealed carry would help but nope I need to start from scratch.

A little extra training never hurts..... Good Luck

I will be signing up for Illinois

16 classroom and Live fire qualification hours as well.
Post 266 IP   flag post
I got my Holosun 510 optic this week for my new PSA AR Pistol.

I was able to get out to the field today and fire it for the first time.

It was a little windy, but a beautiful day out none the less

So Im going to use the same 50 yard zeroing target that I used last week for the Vortex Strike Eagle.

Im also using the same Red Ops Russian steel .223 ammo I used last week (yeah, Yeah, I know)

OK! First three shots from a brand New gun with a brand new Holosun Optic(my favorite)
Hey! Im on the paper right out of the box!

Well.... lets just blindly click the sight to the left and see where we hit.
Nice grouping, but looks like I need to crank it to the left some more.

Oopps.... might have went a little to far. Looks like I'll need to adjust down as well.

OK... I made enough of a mess of that target. Lets adjust the optic and hang a fresh target.
oooouu! Getting close now!

BINGO!

50 yard verification. Standing, No table or bench rest. 20 rd mag dump. looks like I had 2 high flyer misses. The Palmento State Armory shot super smooth with no malfunctions and the Holosun 65 MOA circle with 2 MOA dot really gets you back on sight for every follow up shot. I like!

OK... Lets move out to 100 yards. 30 rd mag dump! Once again Standing, No table or bench rest. Key holed a few and lost a few, but I can't complain with the results. The PSA again shot flawlessly and quite honestly that Red Ops Russia Steel performed pretty darn good.

Tried a little Run & Gun transitioning from AR15 to pistol with a mag reload. I was happy I landed some good shots, but Im going to need some more practice here.

I also decided to bring out Smith & Wesson 15-22 to get it dialed it in order to deal with some vermin thats been hanging around the house causing trouble.

A bit more tweeking and I got her dialed in pretty good

The .22LR has always been very effective against the common Vermin and Pests (squirrels, Ground Hogs, Raccoons etc...) that can wreck havoc on your property, but the age old debate about its effectiveness as a self-Defense option still continues to this day. I know I would personally not trade the 25 shot Mag and versatility of my .22LR for the limited short range effectiveness of say a Shot Gun. Many scoff at the .22LR as just a Varmint round, but I guarantee you high velocity .22 LR hollow points can be seriously devastating when placed accurately.

Anyway... Another fun day at the range!

Be Safe!
Post 267 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by theCapraAegagrus
Quote:

Educated guess: Civilian Marksmanship Program

That is indeed the program! There's a lot there to check out.

Thanks for the link!
Post 268 IP   flag post
Got out to the range again this weekend. My brother and I cleared some brush along the ditch line to make a little bit safer burm to shoot into. Broke the adapter on the PTO shaft of the mower deck so we wasn't able to clear as much as I would have liked to, but we got enough to be able to set up a target run.

Today I'll be shooting the Palmetto State Armory AR15 Pistol with my favorite Holosun Green dot optic along with the Red Ops Russian Steel 5.56 ammo Ive been using most of the year.

Also brought out a couple pistols
My trusty Smith & Wesson Shield Plus

As well as a Smith & Wesson Performance Center Pro-Series 5 inch barrel. This gun was kind of a impulse buy because the price was right. Ive only shot it once last year, so I figured I'd give it a go today.

So in the new clearing we made I have set up my target stands about 20 yards apart. No shooting from a table or bench. Today we are going to try shooting on the move between each target. I went through the coarse multiple times trying to focus on transitioning from pistol to AR rifle, as well as working on Mag reloads. It was hot out making it even more of a challenge.

First Things First is NOT to kill the hostage While I did land some good shots, I will need more practice at this.

2nd target approx 20 yards. Engaging a subject on the move is night and day different than shooting from a fixed position like a bench or table

I did fairly well with this fellow

Next up down the hill was that Terminator impersonating a police officer.

Despite the sweltering heat and sweating the Holosun optic kept me some what on target.

Breathing a a bit harder now at the last target, which was partially obscure by a tree. It also had some civilians I had to account for.

The tree actually help shield the pedestrian on the right, but I did throw a shot and hit the other bystander in the foot.

Overall I thought my shot groups were pretty decent. I did have one malfunction that I had to clear with the PSA AR15. It is the first time I have ever had a issue with the Red ops Steel ammo.

The pistols functioned flawlessly but I shot much better with my 3 inch shield plus than I did with the bigger 5 inch Performance Plus pistol.

Well maybe next week I will take the Daniel Defense AR15 and set up for some attempts at 200+ yards with the Vortex Strike Eagle and see if t held zero. Lord knows I need the practice!

Stay safe
Post 269 IP   flag post

A co-worker has some land just outside of town and we was able to set up a steel target rack

He just bought a new Glock pistol and was shooting it for the first time

His sister came out as well and she was shooting a Springfield Hellcat, which I shot and hated it. The grip was just way to small for me. She had a Hex Wasp red dot on it that we did get sighted in pretty good.

I was shooting my trusty S/M Shield plus and was hitting pretty steady at 10-15 yards on steel

I was also able to get some work in with my Anderson AR15. I was able to verify that the Holosun 510 optic Im using on it was still holding the 50 yard zero from last month.

It was a beautiful day out and we were able to get some good practice drills in and had lots of fun doing it.

Shoot straight and stay safe!
Post 270 IP   flag post
Took some British coworkers to the range just before Labor Day, and one of them was filming me with my T53. Fireballs are fun.

Post 271 IP   flag post
@James42

Indeed Fireballs are COOL!

Looks like you had a good time and a wide variety of goodies to choose from.

What did the Brits think about that!

Next trip out Im going to get some of the Tannerite supply out.

Thanks for stopping by with the Fire Balls!
Post 272 IP   flag post
My next build is going to be purely for fun. Here's the blueprint:

- H&K MP5 .22 LR Pistol
- Stock or Brace (Form 1)
- Banish 22 Suppressor
- Binary Trigger (Hopefully)
- Scope Mount w/Sig Romeo7 Optic

I may build an MP5 clone in 9 mm for a home defense setup, after this is done, and after I get a Ruger revolver.
Post 273 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by theCapraAegagrus
My next build is going to be purely for fun. Here's the blueprint:

- H&K MP5 .22 LR Pistol
- Stock or Brace (Form 1)
- Banish 22 Suppressor
- Binary Trigger (Hopefully)
- Scope Mount w/Sig Romeo7 Optic

I may build an MP5 clone in 9 mm for a home defense setup, after this is done, and after I get a Ruger revolver.

Interesting build

Be sure to keep us posted of the progress
Post 274 IP   flag post
Not Sure if I'll be able to get out to shoot this weekend. But......

Speaking of Builds, Im about to embark on my first total build from scratch. Nothing fancy just a basic Mil-spec AR-15 Platform rifle. Possibly pairing it with a 300 Black Out Upper.

The Lower is yet to be announced, but I have just received the the complete internal lower build kit. No binary trigger for me (afraid I might shot myself :eek) Im cool with the Mil-Spec trigger in the kit, but I might possibly swap it for a Single Stage drop in trigger later.

The PSA kit came with everything nicely packaged and categorized. Can't beat it for $89.00 with Free Shipping.

Keep your powder dry and stay safe
Post 275 IP   flag post
I'm lucky enough to be less than 10 minutes from a PSA store. It's great when I need a small part, and terrible when I don't want to spend too much. Just stay away on sale days, it gets really stupid really fast.
Post 276 IP   flag post
@James42

Yes it can become addictive just like comic books
Post 277 IP   flag post
Well... I finally got back out to do some shooting last weekend.

Out to my co-workers land to do some shooting.

His oldest daughter(19) recently took a job with a state prison and had to qualify shooting.

It was heart warming to see her and her mother teaching her younger sister (11) how to safely handle and shoot. we started her out with a small .22 pistol and she did remarkably well.

Her dad and I later got his new rifle zeroed and was able to practice 200 yard shots at some balloons. I think we did fairly well and was able to hit pretty consistent. He was using his new Palmentto State Armory 16 inch AR15 with a Sig Romeo 5 w/ Juliet Magnifier.

I was shooting my Palmentto State Armory Pistol (11.5 inch barrel) w/Holosun 510 Optic

While he did have a bit of an advantage with a 16 inch barrel and a magnifier, I was still able to hold my own with the 11.5 inch barrel and no magnifier.

One thing of note: after firing 60 shots, I noticed my hand rail on my gun had rattled loose. I did get it back home and re-installed it with some loctight.

All in all it was a good day of shooting.
Post 278 IP   flag post
Collector GanaSoth private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by James42
Took some British coworkers to the range just before Labor Day, and one of them was filming me with my T53. Fireballs are fun.

Especially when ya spray carburetor cleaner in your gun barrle... Hahaha. (kidding)
Post 279 IP   flag post

I haven't been shooting much lately. I have been cleaning guns and taking pictures of them so the owner of my company can decide which ones to use in a promotional photo shoot. So that's been interesting.
Post 280 IP   flag post
600887 335 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?