Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Questions

The best scanner for graded comics part 215454

Collector outlawmonster private msg quote post Address this user
I finally wrote about my journey in finding the best scanner I could afford!

https://wisconsincomics.com/scanning-graded-comics/

See my scan examples!
(I will make some special CBCS only examples soon)
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector Rafel private msg quote post Address this user
They can get pricey too.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector SpiderTim private msg quote post Address this user
CCD is the best technology! especially for slabs in which the comic isn't directly placed on the glass. I have never heard of the Plustek OpticPro A320E yoou recomend so I'll have to look into its specs to see what size the bed has as I use my microtek for slabs and for Original Art.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector SpiderTim private msg quote post Address this user
Researching this Plustek brand I find that, at least for me, the models Pro 300 Plus and 360 Plus work perfectly too as I scan my art at 600 dpi which is sharp enough for me. Slabs I usually scan at 300 dpi and am satisfied with that image quality.
Post 4 IP   flag post
I called CGC about the giveback benefit. beastboy1980 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by outlawmonster
I finally wrote about my journey in finding the best scanner I could afford!

https://wisconsincomics.com/scanning-graded-comics/

See my scan examples!
(I will make some special CBCS only examples soon)

fun article
Post 5 IP   flag post
@beastboy1980 I am not a very good writer, so I tried my best.
Post 6 IP   flag post
I called CGC about the giveback benefit. beastboy1980 private msg quote post Address this user
the old scanner looks nice
Post 7 IP   flag post
I use the
HP 7310 and it does a solid job.

and you can find them on ebay on a regular basis
Post 8 IP   flag post
Leftover Sundae Gnus CatmanAmerica private msg quote post Address this user
Good advice overall and glad to see someone passing along the benefits of their experience. The only thing I'd add is that the keys to finding the right kind of scanner for graded books start with a CCD (Contact Coupled Device) which you mentioned and "legal document" scanners which are the kind with longer beds that allow full coverage of holders. My HP Scanjet 8300 is a legal document scanner, but apparently your 8200 model was not.

The model you are using now appears ideal and fit your budget. I don't know if it's the best, but it certainly does a good job based on the examples provided. If I were going to make any suggestions, it would be to rescan some of the books you scanned with earlier models for comparison's sake. Those A/B comparisons would provide an even clearer picture of the differences in scanned image quality. Big props on the article and presentation.
Post 9 IP   flag post
@CatmanAmerica I will try to do that A/B test, next opportunity I get, at least with HP, unfortunately the MICROTEK is long gone…

Maybe I’ll add the “keys” in case someone finds a different model.
Post 10 IP   flag post
601461 10 10
This topic is archived. Start new topic?