Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS GradedQuestions

A dilemma. What to do?15441

Not trying to be an ass since February 12, 2020. HulkSmash private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by EbayMafia
Quote:
Originally Posted by chester15
This situation is quite disturbing. It is going to make me change the way I submit comics. I'm going to include a full page notice that reads something like this

Or you all could just do what I do and ship by Registered mail. This won't happen to my shipments.

Thread winner…
Post 26 IP   flag post
I'd like to say I still turned out alright, but that would be a lie. flanders private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:
This situation is quite disturbing. It is going to make me change the way I submit comics. I'm going to include a full page notice that reads something like this

Or you all could just do what I do and ship by Registered mail. This won't happen to my shipments.

You're still assuming packages are never dropped by CBCS once in their possession.
Post 27 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by flanders
You're still assuming packages are never dropped by CBCS once in their possession.

I've never seen CBCS employees handle packages. But I've seen Postal employees and delivery drivers handle packages. CBCS employees know what is in the packages and they know the consequences of dropping them. I'm going to guess that 95% of the issues are before the package reaches the facility.
Post 28 IP   flag post
It's like the Roach Motel for comic collectors. chester15 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:

It's not impossible to damage a Registered Mail package, probably less likely, but I bet it has occurred.
I know.... it never happened to you yet.
It didn't happen to me, either, until it happened to me.
Post 29 IP   flag post
It's like the Roach Motel for comic collectors. chester15 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

A very valid point.

Or a stack of comics ready to be graded could "take a tumble" off a desk, all hitting the same corner on the concrete floor. Let's not tell anyone about that snafu, just put them back and continue on. Not saying that happened, but not impossible.

There could be a lot of finger-pointing in these situations. Maybe the initial carrier damaged them, and no one noticed. Submitter has no recourse with the shipper now, especially given the looooong time from acceptance to graded and back into the submitter's hands. Maybe something happened to them before the shipper even got the box. Are there photos of each comic as they allegedly looked just before going into the shipping box, with nice corners??? Should CBCS have caught the possibility that someone would NOT be grading a pile of comics with crunched corners? Probably, but not an obligation, it seems. It would be good for business to be so attentive, though.

No one wants what happened here to also happen to them, but I see no roadblock to future occurrences. Maybe it should be a "rule" that if they are accepted that way, the submitter losing the ability to chase the shipper for a remedy, the grading company accepts the problem by default. In this case, CBCS is pointing at the original shipper as the culprit. It aided and abetted by driving the getaway car, suppressing evidence (the damaged comics cloistered for months), and offered an alternative theory of the crime. The shipper could say the package was accepted, opened, and who knows what happened after that. The submitter is caught with no one admitting culpability, with damaged goods, and an invoice for grading damaged comics on top of it. It's a perfect Law and Order story line. Too bad that series ended.
Post 30 IP   flag post

Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
I suspect that a lot of the corner blunting comes from a package getting tossed from one person to another in the transportation process. It doesn't have to be dropped and won't show damage on the outside. But that quick deceleration for even tightly packed books could create just enough impact to mess up a corner, particularly a spine-side corner. I've had it happen once a decade ago with a PGX shipment. I think many of us have experienced it.
Post 31 IP   flag post
Beaten by boat oars Studley_Dudley private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuffsaid111
Quote:
Originally Posted by comixfan59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuffsaid111
Is Dracula or Werewolf by Night worthy of lifting Mjolnir?

Bwa! Haw! Haw! You’re funny. Don’t quit your job at the Quickie Mart.

Yeaaaaa... my Quickie Mart boss says the same thing to me

Post 32 IP   flag post
I'm good with splotches. Nuffsaid111 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:

I think it was you that suggested Registered mail to me and I thank you for that information. I personally saw how the package was "managed" a bit differently when I dropped it off at the Post Office and separated from the other mail that just gets thrown around like Samsonite luggage by gorillas.
The insurance rate on registered is fantastic too.
So again - thanks for that information. It helped alleviate my paranoia of sending expensive books in the mail either to my presser or to CBCS
Post 33 IP   flag post
Collector comixfan59 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:

A very valid point.

Or a stack of comics ready to be graded could "take a tumble" off a desk, all hitting the same corner on the concrete floor. Let's not tell anyone about that snafu, just put them back and continue on. Not saying that happened, but not impossible.

There could be a lot of finger-pointing in these situations. Maybe the initial carrier damaged them, and no one noticed. Submitter has no recourse with the shipper now, especially given the looooong time from acceptance to graded and back into the submitter's hands. Maybe something happened to them before the shipper even got the box. Are there photos of each comic as they allegedly looked just before going into the shipping box, with nice corners??? Should CBCS have caught the possibility that someone would NOT be grading a pile of comics with crunched corners? Probably, but not an obligation, it seems. It would be good for business to be so attentive, though.

No one wants what happened here to also happen to them, but I see no roadblock to future occurrences. Maybe it should be a "rule" that if they are accepted that way, the submitter losing the ability to chase the shipper for a remedy, the grading company accepts the problem by default. In this case, CBCS is pointing at the original shipper as the culprit. It aided and abetted by driving the getaway car, suppressing evidence (the damaged comics cloistered for months), and offered an alternative theory of the crime. The shipper could say the package was accepted, opened, and who knows what happened after that. The submitter is caught with no one admitting culpability, with damaged goods, and an invoice for grading damaged comics on top of it. It's a perfect Law and Order story line. Too bad that series ended.

You hit it in the Button. Good observation. It may turn into a Law and Order “storyline.”
Post 34 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
Maybe I should collect all the books that I have received with shipping damage, group them into one submission to CBCS, wait for them to come back graded, and then demand that CBCS pay for the damages since they can't prove that they didn't damage the books in house.
Post 35 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrWatson
The insurance is if the books are damaged while in the possession of CBCS and not if the damage occurs en route to CBCS.

No kidding? That is what the postal insurance is for Sherlock. We did that but it does no good if CBCS does not notify the client or report a damaged Box and take the correct and professional steps. Not Rocket Science.
Post 36 IP   flag post
Somebody seems a little cranky. Snickers time?
Post 37 IP   flag post
Moderator Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
Let's think this through for a second. The box doesn't have to show damage for the books to be damaged. The people in receiving and the person entering it into the system are not inspecting the comics. They are just doing their jobs of opening boxes and entering orders. Graders do not know whose order they are looking at. I believe they just see a barcode. So, how does someone expect a grader to know that a bent corner on 5 or 6 comics of the dozens a grader looks at every day was caused by the shipper? I think the expectations might be a bit high.
Post 38 IP   flag post
The apple sauce and pudding were the best part... Bronte private msg quote post Address this user
I am unsure where I fall on this topic but I did have a CGC submission box get damaged in transit last year and they asked me if I wanted to continue with submission or return the book. I requested a return on the one book but continue on the rest of the submission. They sent the one book back and charged like 16 bux shipping. In retrospect I should have just had them press it but I had no idea how bad the damage was. After reviewing the returned book. I saw no damage. I have no idea what damage they saw.

Regardless, I thought that was very considerate of them to give me an option.

Edit

It was double boxed with tons of bubble wrap. I honestly don't see how the book got damaged without intentional malice.
Post 39 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Studley_Dudley

Not even slightly cranky. Sounds like maybe you need the mouthful of Nuts and Chocolate.
Post 40 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by comixfan59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Studley_Dudley

Not even slightly cranky. Sounds like maybe you need the mouthful of Nuts and Chocolate.

Ok, cool breeze 😆
Post 41 IP   flag post
Collector SupaCor private msg quote post Address this user
i dont know, but ive had cbcs send me two emails over the past 5 years about boxes that seemed to be damaged in transit. maybe comix fan should be a real fan and pack his books like a man 🤷🏼‍♂️
Post 42 IP   flag post
The apple sauce and pudding were the best part... Bronte private msg quote post Address this user
Pack his books like a man?

Didn't you just admit that you had 2 instances where your manhood was less than ideal?
Post 43 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SupaCor
i dont know, but ive had cbcs send me two emails over the past 5 years about boxes that seemed to be damaged in transit. maybe comix fan should be a real fan and pack his books like a man 🤷🏼‍♂️

That doesn’t even make sense.
Post 44 IP   flag post
601204 44 19
Thread locked. No more posts permitted. Return home.