Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Movies Television

OT VHSDNA, any one have any thoughts?15432

Collector bennyb86 private msg quote post Address this user
This popped up in my newsfeed and I was like hmmmmm....

https://vhsdna.com/

Part of me is like cool but on the other hand, having a small video rental store in my family that I worked at as a teen knows that tapes are a dime a dozen and I just don't see a huge resell market. I don't know, I mean personally I've only really kept Disney Calmshells and other random promo tapes the studios sent out from when we owned a video rental store but anyone else have thoughts on this.
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector vacaboca private msg quote post Address this user
My main reaction is "meh."

That said, anything that can be collected can be monetized and turned into a competition for some subset of some communities... whether there's a sufficient market for a grading service or for grading of VHS cassettes to support this guy, who knows? That said, having a pristine copy of some of my favorite films is probably something I'd be willing to pay for... but I'm not sure having a "graded" one vs a really clean copy for my shelf would have any incremental value, or even be more attractive than the un-encapsulated copy itself.

My guess is that this goes nowhere - but I'm not offended by its existence?
Post 2 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR dielinfinite private msg quote post Address this user
I actually think the display case looks pretty cool.

I’m not a VHS collector but I would imagine that hobby has similar niches, secrets, and specializations we are unaware of the way outsiders to comics would. Sure a lot of VHS tapes may be a dime a dozen but that’s also the case for a lot of comics and yet here we are.

So for people into that hobby, it could be a good service.
Post 3 IP   flag post
I'd like to say I still turned out alright, but that would be a lie. flanders private msg quote post Address this user
Seems past due, there's plenty of other collectibles locked up in a plastic prison.

The price they're charging is ridiculous:

Post 4 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR dielinfinite private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by flanders
Seems past due, there's plenty of other collectibles locked up in a plastic prison.

The price they're charging is ridiculous:

Oof yeah, that’s rough. But not worse than trading cards that are like $20 each with a large minimum or something
Post 5 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by dielinfinite
I actually think the display case looks pretty cool.

I didn't see a picture of an actual graded/encapsulated VHS - I saw a picture of just a clear case, maybe I missed it...
Post 6 IP   flag post
I'd like to say I still turned out alright, but that would be a lie. flanders private msg quote post Address this user
@vacaboca it's not easy to find and it seems like it should be much clearer:

I also found this:

The guy in the video might have the most annoying voice ever...no offense if anyone here sounds like this.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Quote:

Thanks! That does look kinda cool - but also impractical in terms of storage. Good for display though.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Collector bennyb86 private msg quote post Address this user
I agree the more that I think about it the case is just too big, but I like the presentation. But part of me thinks that because of the cardboard nature of most VHS sleeves, pristine copies are going to be hard to find but just looking at ebay auctions, it's not hard to find rather good condition copies of early Disney releases (which IMHO if my Disney history is accurate is Dumbo and Alice also why they never went into the vault) so idk, me thinks that Disney Calmshells would probably be the best choice for this service or first issues of films like Star Wars pictured.

My only concern is we know for a fact that VHS tape degrades even if it's just sitting on a shelf after awhile is how they would be tested to know that it works without possibly damaging a tape inside.

I'm like 50/50 if I want to shell out the money for a test but $50 plus shipping idk
Post 9 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by vacaboca
Quote:

Thanks! That does look kinda cool - but also impractical in terms of storage. Good for display though.

Looks like the drive thru receptacle at the bank window turned on its drawer end.
Post 10 IP   flag post
Collector Darkseid_of_town private msg quote post Address this user
So if I am understanding this correctly, several years back a few people figured out a way to make saving and storing movies much more shelf conscious....by downsizing the movies to a smaller disc format that saves on tons of space....so along come these guys, and say, nope, it isnt taking up enough space, lets expand?
Post 11 IP   flag post
Beaten by boat oars Studley_Dudley private msg quote post Address this user
The casing looks kinda cool. I don't know about a VHS market, but I thought some of the old Disney clam shells were in demand.
Post 12 IP   flag post
601352 12 12
This topic is archived. Start new topic?