Collector RRO private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrtimely2
Quote:
Originally Posted by RRO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrtimely2

Background ..
This book Cap #29, had been submitted THREE TIMES to get the label corrected, it is an Alex Schomburg cover, not Syd Shores !

The third return, inner case broken, and chip missing from the area of broken inner case..

How does this happen ?

Alex Schomburg was generally recognised as the cover artist, this has since been amended and it is now believed that Syd Shores was the sole artist. Shores also did most of the interior artwork. Any resident expert on Golden Age artists out there to add to this?

To me it is clearly Schomburg..

Well, THAT clears it up.
Post 26 IP   flag post
Thank you sir. May I have another? Siggy private msg quote post Address this user
fwiw GCD lists Shores as the artist, but seems unclear on the inker.
Post 27 IP   flag post
Captain Accident the420bandito private msg quote post Address this user
a Syd Shores cover example for comparison.

Post 28 IP   flag post
Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by the420bandito
a Syd Shores cover example for comparison.

not that I want to critique Nazi skeletons but......one lady stacked on top of the other makes it difficult to experiment on the second subject...also...lady on the bottom has no restraints!!!...sloppy work Nazi Skeleton...sloppy work!
Post 29 IP   flag post
Collector Dawnstar private msg quote post Address this user
Ouch, that's a shame. I must say if I got that book back safe and sound amidst the current state of things, I wouldn't have sent it back, much less a third time.

I know you said you cracked it but I'm curious, did the 3rd label say Schomburg or Shores?
Post 30 IP   flag post

" . " Davethebrave private msg quote post Address this user
Okay - so the cover artist is in dispute. So CBCS may not have made a mistake.

Submitter / customer’s opinion on what the label should say doesn’t matter. The fact CGC labels otherwise doesn’t matter.

The above calls into question multiple submissions and “correction” requests.

It may call into question the cause of the damage - because redoing a process on an older imperfect book is always a risk.

Of course it doesn’t excuse anything exactly but perhaps a slightly different balance of facts here?

I am a big advocate of customer service and so again not taking sides but saying one’s opinion of an artist should govern a third party’s certification is a bit… odd.
Post 31 IP   flag post
I'd like to say I still turned out alright, but that would be a lie. flanders private msg quote post Address this user
Why is the OP too lazy to post a couple photos that he supposedly has already sent to CBCS? It would literally take him less than 30 seconds to do. Not posting photos is making him look like an old fraud.
Post 32 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
For me, anyone who comes in reasonable and rational gets the benefit of the doubt. Anyone who comes in hot and using accusatory and inflammatory language automatically loses the benefit of the doubt and they need to be ready to defend everything they said. The title of the thread is usually a tipoff.
Post 33 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawnstar
Ouch, that's a shame. I must say if I got that book back safe and sound amidst the current state of things, I wouldn't have sent it back, much less a third time.

I know you said you cracked it but I'm curious, did the 3rd label say Schomburg or Shores?

The one shown states "cover:Alex Schomburg & Syd Shores"
Post 34 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davethebrave
Okay - so the cover artist is in dispute. So CBCS may not have made a mistake.

Submitter / customer’s opinion on what the label should say doesn’t matter. The fact CGC labels otherwise doesn’t matter.

The above calls into question multiple submissions and “correction” requests.

It may call into question the cause of the damage - because redoing a process on an older imperfect book is always a risk.

Of course it doesn’t excuse anything exactly but perhaps a slightly different balance of facts here?

I am a big advocate of customer service and so again not taking sides but saying one’s opinion of an artist should govern a third party’s certification is a bit… odd.

Please refer to the original post and reason:
"Background .. This book Cap #29, had been submitted THREE TIMES to get the label corrected, it is an Alex Shomburg cover, not Syd Shores." This whole exercise was undertaken so that the submitter could get a "corrected" label. I surmise that CBCS/CGC may know better the actual cover artist(s) given that it is an integral part of their remit.
Post 35 IP   flag post
I'd like to say I still turned out alright, but that would be a lie. flanders private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by RRO
I surmise that CBCS/CGC may know better the actual cover artist(s) given that it is an integral part of their remit.

If that was the case CBCS would've told the customer not to resubmit the comic because the label would remain unchanged.
Post 36 IP   flag post
Have I told you about the time I dropped off 3,000 comics at SDCC? Scifinator private msg quote post Address this user
@Dawnstar - looking at the 2nd pic it listed both.
Post 37 IP   flag post
" . " Davethebrave private msg quote post Address this user
@RRO I know.

Note that CGC agrees with the OP (or historically has). So there may be a basis for confusion.

My only point is that you cannot reasonably force a third party certifier to change their determination if something is indeed disputed. It would get rid of the whole point of third party certification - might as well make your own label and give your own grade.
Post 38 IP   flag post
Not trying to be an ass since February 12, 2020. HulkSmash private msg quote post Address this user
According to Marvel Shomburg penciled the cover, Shores penciled the stories, inks by Alascia. But it may remain unclear as to when they worked/which covers they worked together. After all it happened quite a bit ago.clickable text
Post 39 IP   flag post
I'm waiting.... (tapping fingers).
Splotches is gettin old!
Nuffsaid111 private msg quote post Address this user
I think this is partly why I am a minimalist on Label content.
I don't know why artist/writers/inkers or 1st appearance, or 1st cameo, need to be on the label for a company who's mission statement is grading a comic.

I recognize I'm in the minority, but the labels could be wrong/disputed. As for the correctness of 1st appearances - I won't even go there, nor the implications when it is wrong or disputed.

The grade number and verified/witnessed is within the mission statement of both grading companies and what both are purportedly good at.
If one wants 1st appearance, who did the cover, who did the inks, who did writing, etc... - consult google.

Other than the damage on this book, this thread has partly become two pages worth of Finkel or Einhorn
Post 40 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuffsaid111
I don't know why artist/writers/inkers or 1st appearance, or 1st cameo, need to be on the label for a company who's mission statement is grading a comic.

I recognize I'm in the minority, but the labels could be wrong/disputed. As for the correctness of 1st appearances - I won't even go there, nor the implications when it is wrong or disputed.

The grade number and verified/witnessed is within the mission statement of both grading companies and what both are purportedly good at.
If one wants 1st appearance, who did the cover, who did the inks, who did writing, etc... - consult google.

Other than the damage on this book, this thread has partly become two pages worth of Finkel or Einhorn

I like having that information on the label but you are 100% correct in asking why it's even there. We are talking about grading companies...not comic historians (even though they may (or may not) know their stuff). Its a valid observation. 🍻
Post 41 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuffsaid111

All good points. However; as listing cover artists is the norm on slabbed comics the OP is justified in expecting an accurate portrayal of such things.
Post 42 IP   flag post
Splotches is gettin old!
Quote:
Originally Posted by RRO
However; as listing cover artists is the norm on slabbed comics the OP is justified in expecting an accurate portrayal of such things

Good point. Maybe omit the information when information is disputed? I dunno.
Post 43 IP   flag post
Bet the book doesn't go back a 4th time for a more accurate label in terms of grading.
Post 44 IP   flag post
Please continue to ignore anything I post. southerncross private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by southerncross
Quote:
Originally Posted by southerncross
Show the earlier pictures please.

Waiting

And still waiting to see pictures where the book wasn't damaged showing the label.

Prior to the last submission
Post 45 IP   flag post
Why just the women? I like bears. Gaard private msg quote post Address this user
@Mrtimely2 Why won't you post pictures?
Post 46 IP   flag post
Have I told you about the time I dropped off 3,000 comics at SDCC? Scifinator private msg quote post Address this user
@southerncross @Gaard - And furthermore, why just a partial pick of the intact CBCS encasement. I mean come on, surely there was a photo of the original encasement showing the "incorrect" label that would also reflect the before condition of the "damaged" comic. And for that matter, the second re-submission. I reiterate, something is not right here and does add up.
Post 47 IP   flag post
And possibly the most important overlooked question...what happened to Mrtimely1?
Post 48 IP   flag post
Collector Sebastsk8 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by EbayMafia
And possibly the most important overlooked question...what happened to Mrtimely1?

Sure doesn't seem he's being...very timely with his response. 🤭
Post 49 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebastsk8
Quote:

Or maybe he's going to be so timely that our heads are gonna spin like a top!!

Post 50 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC
Quote:
Quote:

]

lol, my joke fell flat. The member is Mrtimely2...I was asking about Mrtimely1.
Post 51 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC
Quote:
Quote:

]

lol, my joke fell flat. The member is Mrtimely2...I was asking about Mrtimely1.

lol!!!! Damn it! I missed that!! #1 is over on the CGC boards....we're #2 so we get #2.
Post 52 IP   flag post
Splotches is gettin old!
Peacemaker: This forum cant' afford MrTimely1
Post 53 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
Wouldn't MrTimely1 just be MrTimely?
Post 54 IP   flag post
Grumpy Old Man Mrtimely2 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawnstar

Haha, interesting question, it stated " cover, Alex Schomburg and Syd Shores"..
Post 55 IP   flag post
603575 76 30
Thread locked. No more posts permitted. Return home.