Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS GradedGrading Help Needed

What does it take to get a 9.8?15402

The Fifth Golden Girl sborock private msg quote post Address this user
This thread is perfect for this moment.

I just finished grading a large box of books that were published just a few weeks ago. Must be from a store as there are multiple copies of each book. I am 99% sure these were not pressed as there are still light production bends and a few books were rejected.

Out of 79 books sent in for 9.8 grade screen: 3 got 9.9, 5 rejects and the rest 9.8.

If you get brand new books and REALLY look them over well before submitting, you could get 9.8's without pressing.

That said, pressing can still help many times....
Post 26 IP   flag post
Collector jokioo private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by sborock
Out of 79 books sent in for 9.8 grade screen: 3 got 9.9, 5 rejects and the rest 9.8.

Just out of curiosity, how many 9.9’s are card stock books? I feel like I hardly see normal books that hit 9.9, likely due to manufacturing disparity and a higher degree of consistency with those kinds of books. Do you regularly get newly released non-card stock comics in 9.9 condition?
Post 27 IP   flag post
The Fifth Golden Girl sborock private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by jokioo
Quote:
Originally Posted by sborock

Just out of curiosity, how many 9.9’s are card stock books? I feel like I hardly see normal books that hit 9.9, likely due to manufacturing disparity and a higher degree of consistency with those kinds of books. Do you regularly get newly released non-card stock comics in 9.9 condition?

The box I am talking about were not card stock books, though you are correct, easier to get a 9.9 with card stock in some cases.
Post 28 IP   flag post
Beaten by boat oars Studley_Dudley private msg quote post Address this user
It takes a keen eye and a sure foot. Just like parallel parking.
Post 29 IP   flag post
Collector Donnied private msg quote post Address this user
I have had about 70 unpressed comics come back as 9.8's. I don't think it's all that rare.
All of my pre-1975 submissions are being pressed. Most of my moderns I don't, unless they have those defects that can be fixed.
Post 30 IP   flag post

Collector Drogio private msg quote post Address this user
All I can tell you is the more 9.4/9.6/9.8s you own the better your ability to know what has a chance as a 9.8.

Pressing is practically a must for books 90s and older. I wouldn’t chance it.

But if you’re wondering whether the extra $$ is worth the potential bump, you should ask yourself if you even care about the grade at all…or just want the book encased.

You can always have it cracked, pressed and regraded later if you think it could do better…that’s the risks you take sometimes.
Post 31 IP   flag post
Not trying to be an ass since February 12, 2020. HulkSmash private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by brysb
I am sure it is politically incorrect to say this here, but I sure do miss the days before grading services when NM meant just Near Mint...nothing in between to distinguish the comic, no point this or that. The hobby was more fun in those days.
Im in my 4th year of collecting and so far I agree. It either Mint, Near Mint, or below. We might as well call a 9.2/9.4/9.6 “Near Mint enough”.
Post 32 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Studley_Dudley
It takes a keen eye and a sure foot. Just like parallel parking.

Parallel parking is easy. Just pull up beside the car in front of you and then back into the space at an angle straightening up as you go.
Post 33 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
Sugar and spice and everything nice; that's what 9.8s are made of.
Post 34 IP   flag post
Collector Pandorasdad private msg quote post Address this user
I live in Texas. There's enough humidity here that even brand new books in my LCS tend to have waves on the cover. I've had shipped books come in and then go off to get graded come back at 9.8, but most of the books from my LCS would need to be pressed.
Post 35 IP   flag post
Please continue to ignore anything I post. southerncross private msg quote post Address this user
Bottle of scotch, the more years on the bottle the better the grade

Just joking 🤣
Post 36 IP   flag post
598062 36 11
This topic is archived. Start new topic?