Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Movies TelevisionPop Culture

The Suicide Squad - Thoughts? *Spoilers*15399

Collector jokioo private msg quote post Address this user
I don't want to spoil too much with this post, as I know that the movie has literally just come out. That being said, I feel that the film really puts DC back on track. I absolutely loved it.

In many ways, Gunn accomplished what the Ayers version didn't but managed to do by breathing life into completely new characters, much in the way that he managed to do so when Guardians first released. Apart from Harley and Flagg, if you would have told me that The Suicide Squad would be headlined by Bloodsport, Peacemaker, Ratcatcher 2, King Shark and Polkadot Man I would have laughed. These are characters that virtually no one talked about or acknowledged prior to the buzz around this film, with the exception of Polkadot Man who belongs on just about every list of the most bizarre DC characters.

Pretty much every actor lived up to the excitement around the cast. John Cena is a corny guy, but it fit into the film quite nicely. Bloodsport was a much more memorable team leader than Flagg (who was much more likeable in this movie), largely due to Idris Elba's performance. I am a big fan of Margot Robbie's Harley Quinn. The biggest surprise for me character-wise was Ratcatcher 2, who managed to steal the show despite minimal attention leading up to the release. Her storyline was riveting and emotional, and her moment of redemption at the end was inspiring.

As expected, the visuals were epic. The trailers showcased this, so it was no surprise to me. The Harley massacre with flowers shooting in the air was awesome, reminiscent of some of the better scenes from Birds of Prey but choreographed much better. The color scheme was bright and gorgeous, and I thought that Starro was such an epic antagonist. A great derivation from Snyder's previous take on DC, a decision by Gunn that I honestly enjoyed much more.

It wasn't a perfect plot, but had just the right amount of internal tension between team members to be interesting. This was a very convincing interpretation of what happens when you put a group of homicidal anti-heroes together, and I was sold on the group cohesion by the end of the film.

I could go on about the plot but I want to keep this relatively short and spoiler-free. I mainly warned for *spoilers* in the title in case people have more specific thoughts on the film. As a massive fan of DC who was hoping that someday our that comic universe would get the same treatment that Marvel did, I am absolutely hyped. I'm not expecting the value of my books to skyrocket but I'm glad to see positive press around a DC movie for a change. I left the theater happy. With a video game on the way, I think that DC managed to revive the Suicide Squad franchise, and I hope that they continue this momentum and gradually build an impressive cinematic universe that might eventually compete with Marvel's.

Just my opinions, and I would love to hear thoughts from others. What did you all think?
Post 1 IP   flag post
Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
How did you see it already!?? Only releasing Aug 6th here!

Will go see it this weekend - but so far the trailers looks better than the first version - first one was a hot mess!!
Post 2 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatKomics
How did you see it already!?? Only releasing Aug 6th here!

Will go see it this weekend - but so far the trailers looks better than the first version - first one was a hot mess!!

I think it released Aug. 5th nationwide in the states. I saw it in theaters around the Boston area. Enjoy it this weekend, it was way better than the first!
Post 3 IP   flag post
You do know that the new guy brings the donuts, right? DWeeB1967 private msg quote post Address this user
I just finished watching it on HBO Max. I liked it. I thought it was well done, entertaining and very much deserving of its R rating. This is not a kid's movie in any way.

I do agree with your comments on the characters, especially Ratcatcher 2 (and I loved Sebastian).

Bottom line for me: Any movie that can make me view a giant fluorescent starfish with a real sense of dread is a winner. I'll be watching it again this weekend.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector Sysm private msg quote post Address this user
I thought it was super entertaining. I typically have lower expectations of DC movies so that may have helped but this was a pretty solid movie. I like the lead in to the upcoming series.
Post 5 IP   flag post
I'd like to say I still turned out alright, but that would be a lie. flanders private msg quote post Address this user
I made it through 40 mins before turning it off. The jokes were stale and the dialogue was boring. Maybe I'll watch the remaining hour and a half some other time but it's unlikely. And no, I'm not fun at parties...
Post 6 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
@flanders Do you mind if I copy and paste your review onto my sales thread for Brave and Bold 25?
Post 7 IP   flag post
I'd like to say I still turned out alright, but that would be a lie. flanders private msg quote post Address this user
@EbayMafia lol, that ought to get it sold immediately. Maybe ask @sborock for his opinion, he said in another post that he was watching it tonight.

And keep in mind, I've watched Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter six or seven times. So you should never give any weight to my movie opinion. I don't think you even want to know how many times I've seen Deuce Bigalow: European Gigalo
Post 8 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sysm
I thought it was super entertaining. I typically have lower expectations of DC movies so that may have helped but this was a pretty solid movie. I like the lead in to the upcoming series.

@Sysm Series? Tell me more! Maybe I'm selling my book too early?
Post 9 IP   flag post
Collector Sysm private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by EbayMafia
Quote:

Peacemaker is getting a series on HBO Max. Not sure who all will follow him into it.
Post 10 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by EbayMafia
Quote:

Peacemaker is getting a series on HBO Max. Not sure who all will follow him into it.

Ah, ok thanks.
Post 11 IP   flag post
Collector Rafel private msg quote post Address this user
It was very entertaining.
Post 12 IP   flag post
Pictures? We don't need no stinking pictures. brysb private msg quote post Address this user
I watched it last night on HBO Max. It was entertaining. I was shocked by how much violence was in it.
Post 13 IP   flag post
I showed my wife and she was so happy for me she started to cry. Batman66 private msg quote post Address this user
It was ridiculous, loved it. The weasel and king shark were my favorite characters.
Post 14 IP   flag post
Collector KeepItClunky private msg quote post Address this user
very dumb, but very entertaining. Starro was great.
Post 15 IP   flag post
You do know that the new guy brings the donuts, right? DWeeB1967 private msg quote post Address this user
Yep it was absolutely ridiculous and over-the-top but that suits this movie very well.

Obviously, the fact that Starro the Conqueror is the primary "villain" shows that the creative team fully bought into the ridiculousness of it all.
Post 16 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DWeeB1967
Yep it was absolutely ridiculous and over-the-top but that suits this movie very well.

Obviously, the fact that Starro the Conqueror is the primary "villain" shows that the creative team fully bought into the ridiculousness of it all.

I agree with this. Suicide Squad is better suited to a ridiculous, lighthearted, ultra-violent film like this as opposed to a darker film like what most of the DCEU has been. The movie is very self aware; if it weren't, then John Cena wouldn't have been casted and Sebastian the Rat wouldn't have saved the day.

Also idk about everyone else, but seeing Starro in this movie was so cool. I remember Starro from the animated DC stuff from when I was younger, and seeing that translate into the big screen Kaiju character was awesome.
Post 17 IP   flag post
The Fifth Golden Girl sborock private msg quote post Address this user
I enjoyed what I saw, but I was so darn tired I fell asleep. Will finish tonight....
Post 18 IP   flag post
" . " Davethebrave private msg quote post Address this user
Great movie - best superhero(/villain) movie of the past … several… years.

Wife agreed too.
Post 19 IP   flag post
Collector Bobashek private msg quote post Address this user
I enjoyed it.
Post 20 IP   flag post
Worlds better than the 1st movie and a franchise they can keep going as long as they either make up or just use old one off odd characters to then kill off in the movies.
Post 21 IP   flag post
Looks like the ratings from Rotten Tomatoes are coming in very high.
Post 22 IP   flag post
Secret Moderator MatterEaterLad private msg quote post Address this user
I was astonished by how good it was, but that's not saying a lot since the bar was set so low by the first movie. The violence was a bit over the top for me. It felt like someone said "We're going to be more gory than Deadpool" and just went for it.
Post 23 IP   flag post
The Fifth Golden Girl sborock private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by sborock
I enjoyed what I saw, but I was so darn tired I fell asleep. Will finish tonight....

Finished it last night.
Nothing to write home about, just a good popcorn action/comedy.
@MatterEaterLad Yes, the bar was set low for this one which might have helped a bit.
Post 24 IP   flag post
Collector TheMadTitan private msg quote post Address this user
As far as DC movies go and agree with the low bar…it wasn’t bad but still no breakthrough movies from DC yet. Here’s hoping for someday.
Post 25 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMadTitan
As far as DC movies go and agree with the low bar…it wasn’t bad but still no breakthrough movies from DC yet. Here’s hoping for someday.

Unfortunately I think that big breakthrough movies simply aren’t likely during the pandemic. You have to get people into theaters to create hype in addition to making a good movie. The Suicide Squad was marketable as heck, I just think that not enough people are packing theaters to make any kind of breakthrough movie possible rn, people have to remember (politics aside) that many places are still wary about the pandemic especially with the delta variant raging.
Post 26 IP   flag post
MCU movies are bored, cliched, junk now. Every one of them post Infinity War.

The Suicide Squad was a more entertaining movie than End Game.

MCU = Pro Songwriter Pop Music drivel
Post 27 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jokioo
Quote:

Unfortunately I think that big breakthrough movies simply aren’t likely during the pandemic. You have to get people into theaters to create hype in addition to making a good movie. The Suicide Squad was marketable as heck, I just think that not enough people are packing theaters to make any kind of breakthrough movie possible rn, people have to remember (politics aside) that many places are still wary about the pandemic especially with the delta variant raging.

Yeah we watched in our home theater. No way we are heading to a theater…
Post 28 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davethebrave
Quote:
Originally Posted by jokioo
Quote:

Yeah we watched in our home theater. No way we are heading to a theater…

We saw it at the drive in!!

Post 29 IP   flag post
Now THAT'S awesome, @KatKomics
Post 30 IP   flag post
601434 33 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?