Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS GradedQuestions

Horrible books that hit my pressing desk...15370

I wish I had a title. ComicNinja0215 private msg quote post Address this user
@Ginosdad He does do a nice job! Cheers Steve!
Post 26 IP   flag post
@SteveRicketts Amazing!!!! uh, pun intended...
Post 27 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC
....this will be a great thread!!! I really like before and after pics!

This definitely will be! much needed.
Post 28 IP   flag post
CBCS Pressing SteveRicketts private msg quote post Address this user
Here are a few before/after pictures I prepared for a pressing flier for the current convention season...
Post 29 IP   flag post
Small spine roll and bends were the major problem with this book...

Post 30 IP   flag post

Afterwards it looks better, though the back cover had some pretty severe creasing. It's better, though.
We almost needed a time machine for this one.

Post 31 IP   flag post
One more for the night. This is the hockey stick book I was talking about.

Post 32 IP   flag post
The apple sauce and pudding were the best part... Bronte private msg quote post Address this user
I know it's a lot to ask, but would it be possible to mention approximately what pre and post grades would have been?
Post 33 IP   flag post
@SteveRicketts that's a very serious book
Post 34 IP   flag post
After the pancake syrup was applied...

Post 35 IP   flag post
I don't know what's going on with the first picture. If you click it you can see it. I've resaved and reuploaded it, but it doesn't seem to work.
Post 36 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronte
I know it's a lot to ask, but would it be possible to mention approximately what pre and post grades would have been?

To be honest, except for a rare occasion, I don't follow up and look to see what grade the books get after they're pressed. I used to, but it gets overwhelming after a while. Not to mention that by the time they get graded, I've worked on so many books, I can't remember them.

There are a few exceptions. I'll go ahead and share one that I remember.
Post 37 IP   flag post
This book I checked the grade on after it was completed.

Here are the before pics. This was seriously wavy. It looked like it was pulled out of a potato chip bag instead of a polybag.

Post 38 IP   flag post
After the press. It was almost like we had a magic wand on this one. Even I was impressed.

Post 39 IP   flag post
The Fallout 4 got a 9.2 after the press. I considered that a win.
Post 40 IP   flag post
The apple sauce and pudding were the best part... Bronte private msg quote post Address this user
Impressive.... wow
Post 41 IP   flag post
Collector Puckster private msg quote post Address this user
@SteveRicketts So I'm about 100% sure that ASM 129 is mine. I think I got that in 1985 I believe for my 11th birthday. Paid $2.50 for it. I had the option of that one or the $5 NM one and I figured I had spent close to $75 of my parents money that day so I opted for the cheaper one.
That looks absolutely amazing and there is no way I can possibly thank you enough. I am beyond happy right now. I just ran and told my wife and acted like I was that 11 year old all over again.
Post 42 IP   flag post
Collector Terry88 private msg quote post Address this user
This thread is LONG overdue.
Post 43 IP   flag post
@Puckster Well that makes my entire day. These are the stories I like to hear. I hope you keep the book forever and I'm glad I could give it a new life for you. I only have 6 books remaining from my childhood and they'll never leave my hands. Granted, none of them are as cool as your 129, but they're worth the world to me.

Cheers, my friend!
Post 44 IP   flag post
Not trying to be an ass since February 12, 2020. HulkSmash private msg quote post Address this user
I bet you get tired of seeing hulk 181s, Spidey 129s, and (thanks to recent market dumbassery) those UF4s
Post 45 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckster
@SteveRicketts So I'm about 100% sure that ASM 129 is mine. I think I got that in 1985 I believe for my 11th birthday. Paid $2.50 for it. I had the option of that one or the $5 NM one and I figured I had spent close to $75 of my parents money that day so I opted for the cheaper one.
That looks absolutely amazing and there is no way I can possibly thank you enough. I am beyond happy right now. I just ran and told my wife and acted like I was that 11 year old all over again.

I checked the date of your order and compared it to the time I took the photos and I think you are correct. This is very likely your comic.
Post 46 IP   flag post
Secret Moderator MatterEaterLad private msg quote post Address this user
This thread is gold. Thank you!
Post 47 IP   flag post
Collector Puckster private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveRicketts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckster

I checked the date of your order and compared it to the time I took the photos and I think you are correct. This is very likely your comic.

I had that thing hanging on my wall for years when I was younger. All those chips, folds, and wrinkles. I have those memorized. The second I saw it I knew what it was.
There were a lot of things that just couldn't be fixed but it still looks so much better than what it did.
Post 48 IP   flag post
Have I told you about the time I dropped off 3,000 comics at SDCC? Scifinator private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveRicketts
One more for the night. This is the hockey stick book I was talking about.

[/img]

Master Yoda... I mean @SteveRicketts - I beg to differ on which was worse - Without a doubt, that Batgirl Adventures is bad, but it was a vertical hockey stick. Mine, that I sent you in Jan 2019, was a horizontal across the top at about the same angle. @Bronte - I cannot speak to what the grade would have been, but if I had to guess 6.5 - 8.5 maybe Master Splinter...I mean @SBorock could hypothesize. That said here is the aftermath, this time with close ups of the residual flaw. I was duly impressed and super relieved as I am the original owner and this was the first time I ever had anything autographed and it was from my then favorite artist. So yes there was/is an emotional tie here and I was devastated when it was bent in half. :

Post 49 IP   flag post
@Scifinator You have a point. The horizontal hockey stick is much tougher to fix.
Post 50 IP   flag post
Here's something we see fairly regularly. Tracers. No, I'm not talking about inkers (Chasing Amy joke), I'm talking about kids tracing the their comic cover on a sheet of paper. This also includes kids doing their homework on top of their comics. These can usually be repaired without a trace </end puns> except in cases where the indent is so deep it damages the paper fiber.

Post 51 IP   flag post
Collector Huntergreene2 private msg quote post Address this user
Normally we want to see our books in @Sborock "Across my Desk" thread. Now, I really want to see one of my books in this thread.
Post 52 IP   flag post
Collector Dalkiel private msg quote post Address this user
Post 53 IP   flag post
Heres an interesting one. An old squarebound that had a nice look, but it had a spine roll. This was a first for me, so I had to figure out a way to erase the hardship of time. Here is the before...

Post 54 IP   flag post
I always tell people that we are beauticians, not magicians, but on this book we may have invoked the dark arts.

Post 55 IP   flag post
601275 121 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?