Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Graded

Suggestion: Free Scans15361

Secret Moderator MatterEaterLad private msg quote post Address this user
I know this would be a lot of work for someone at CBCS, but I think offering free scans of graded books in addition to free graders' notes would be a win/win.

It would be a nice value added difference from the competition.

Plus a lot of collectors don't have decent flatbed scanners, so free scans might promote more sales of CBCS books and more posts of CBCS books to social media.

CBCS could flood the zone, so to speak, with CBCS labels.
Post 1 IP   flag post
The apple sauce and pudding were the best part... Bronte private msg quote post Address this user
Somewhat off topic, NGC the sister company to CGC grades coins. When I had a few gold coins graded, I happily paid I think 7$ for pictures of the coins graded and raw because I could not do a picture that did the coins justice.

I think if they offered a scan at a moderate cost I would bite. Granted the cost of storing said photos would be off putting to CBCS, even NGC only made the photos available for a month.

Post 2 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
It's more involved than you think. I think the slabs are actually photographed as opposed to scanned. It would be a time consuming and thankless job to photograph them for free. In all my years of customer service, more people complain about something they've received for free than something for which they've paid.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Have I told you about the time I dropped off 3,000 comics at SDCC? Scifinator private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronte
Somewhat off topic, NGC the sister company to CGC grades coins. When I had a few gold coins graded, I happily paid I think 7$ for pictures of the coins graded and raw because I could not do a picture that did the coins justice.

I think if they offered a scan at a moderate cost I would bite. Granted the cost of storing said photos would be off putting to CBCS, even NGC only made the photos available for a month.

@Bronte - CBCS does offer image at a cost of only $5 and FREE image of 1 day tier.

Image add-on
(encapsulated front)
members:$5/book
non-members:$6/book
Free Image for 1-day tier
Post 4 IP   flag post
The apple sauce and pudding were the best part... Bronte private msg quote post Address this user
@Scifinator

Hmm. Somehow I missed that. Thank you.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Have I told you about the time I dropped off 3,000 comics at SDCC? Scifinator private msg quote post Address this user
@Bronte - I just updated further, as they do Free for 1 day tier.
Post 6 IP   flag post
I actually used the service for my grail:

Post 7 IP   flag post
@Scifinator do they host the picture forever?
Post 8 IP   flag post
@DrWatson It's ridiculously easy. Especially if photographed and not scanned. A dedicated soft box, white seamless, DSLR set for optimal slab images, and you just leave it. Pop a slab in, click, turn, click...next.

I worked at an ad agency with a grocery client. We had a dedicated camera set-up for grocery items. Easy.
Post 9 IP   flag post
@MatterEaterLad Perhaps you should offer your services and expertise to CBCS, pro bono.
Post 10 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
@MatterEaterLad Free is a tough sell for sure. I would definitely buy images for all my subs if the price was cut in half. To me, $6 is not worth it, but it could very well be worth it to many others. I think the $5/$6 price is likely where CBCS needs to be on it to make it worth it to them. They take great shots! The books do look great in their photos.

Post 11 IP   flag post
Quote:

@Bronte - "forever" is an absolute term which my cheekie self won't commit to. That said, it is part of the Free Graders notes. see 19-472AEC1-001
Post 12 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scifinator
Quote:

@Bronte - "foreever" is an absolute term which my cheekie self won't commit to. That said, it is part of the Free Graders notes. see 19-472AEC1-001

If it's attached to grader notes, that would work great. Definitely something to consider for higher value submissions....

Thank you for the information.
Post 13 IP   flag post
I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
Scans is a service I have not been using.

Providing scans costs CBCS money.

"Free" scans means that CBCS would have to charge more for grading to cover the cost of scanning the books.

I would really prefer for scans to remain an ala cart service for those who want it instead of having everyone pay more just so that everything gets scans whether we want it or not.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
Post 14 IP   flag post
I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrWatson
@MatterEaterLad Perhaps you should offer your services and expertise to CBCS, pro bono.

Post 15 IP   flag post
@GAC I only get them on high value books. Especially CGC, so if the book comes back damaged I can tell if if the damage happened while the book was with them or during shipping.
Post 16 IP   flag post
Did the ad agency take the grocery photographs for free?
Post 17 IP   flag post
I'd like to say I still turned out alright, but that would be a lie. flanders private msg quote post Address this user
You're like the homeless that gets given $5 and a free meal and insultingly asks for more. CBCS already offers free grader's notes, individual grade screening, no minimum number of comics for grade screening, lower cost for grading, combined shipping, no invoice fees, and autograph verification. No need to offer anything else. Potential & current customers need to realize they have a better, less expensive product, with more options and be appreciative of CBCS's generous offerings.
Post 18 IP   flag post
PLOD theCapraAegagrus private msg quote post Address this user
Free everything!
Post 19 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
@GAC I only get them on high value books. Especially CGC, so if the book comes back damaged I can tell if if the damage happened while the book was with them or during shipping.

@MatterEaterLad That's a good idea!!
Post 20 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
These two books were selected by CBCS as “Featured Books” a few years ago so they took complimentary photos which are now part of the Grader’s Notes.

Post 21 IP   flag post
PEDIGREED... Again! martymann private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by esaravo
These two books were selected by CBCS as “Featured Books”

What and where are "Featured Books"?

Marty
Post 22 IP   flag post
@esaravo Ed! That's awesome!!
Post 23 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by martymann
Quote:

Marty

Its books CBCS deem good enough to show off.

Here's the link:
clickable text
Post 24 IP   flag post
PEDIGREED... Again! martymann private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC
Quote:
Originally Posted by martymann
Quote:

Marty

Its books CBCS deem good enough to show off.

Here's the link:
clickable text

Thanks!...doubt I'll ever make the grade.

MM
Post 25 IP   flag post
@martymann I certainly doubt that!

I thought I made the cut once...my submission went into Imaging status and I thought one of my books made the Feature Book list.....never happened. lol!
Post 26 IP   flag post
Collector sckao private msg quote post Address this user
I paid for the $5 imaging of my slabs without complaint. It's difficult to get nice photos of a slab really without perspective warping or reflections, and I ended up just recently buying a used Microtek i900 legal-size CCD scanner just to scan slabs along with the needed software (another expense). (Some scanners will also add a glow to the scans based on the inner well.)

The only thing I WOULD make a minor complaint about is that the 600x960 resolution for provided images is a little low. It's perfect for viewing on a screen or on a mobile/tablet device within a screenful of information, but not so much if you're trying to sell the slab and need higher resolution images of the slab or book.

Setting the saved images to something higher should be pretty simple although it would increase the storage costs for CBCS. (The images should get auto-sized based on the device format anyway if the website/page design is responsive.)
Post 27 IP   flag post
Collector Rafel private msg quote post Address this user
What am I missing here? If you have a comic book graded why would you need a picture of it when you have the real thing? Are the pictures available for others to see? Now that would be something. If CBCS created a library of pictures of the highest graded comic books they've graded I'd be checking that out.
Post 28 IP   flag post
Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafel
What am I missing here? If you have a comic book graded why would you need a picture of it when you have the real thing? Are the pictures available for others to see? Now that would be something. If CBCS created a library of pictures of the highest graded comic books they've graded I'd be checking that out.

If you get a picture then it will be included with the free notes CBCS provides for anyone/everyone to see!
Post 29 IP   flag post
Collector Rafel private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatKomics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafel

If you get a picture then it will be included with the free notes CBCS provides for anyone/everyone to see!

So, I can view pictures of someone else's submissions? How do I do that? Plus, grader notes are free for all to see.
Post 30 IP   flag post
600857 34 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?