CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Collector dfoster43 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by jake
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuffsaid111
Water - training for a marathon.

Was training for a triathlon, but I found out that I cracked a tooth and the gum is infected, so the dentist highly advised me to curb my expectations and forget about the tri until the antibiotics do their thing.

Bourbon for toothache. Works every time.
Post 26 IP   flag post
I haven't aired it out. It's part of the provenance. Galen130 private msg quote post Address this user
Coffee…no adult beverage added. 🤣

Post 27 IP   flag post
Collector xvipah private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by theCapraAegagrus

As far as non-Islay/Island brands go, have you tried Glenmorangie and their assorted finished cask range? Lasanta, Quinta Ruban, and Nectar d'Or are all finished 2 years in different wine casks. Sherry, port, and sauternes respectively IIRC.

Glenmorangie also has a $200 bottle titled Signet, which is one of my absolute favorites, but I have not had it in a long time. The Macallan 18 was cheaper the last time that I bought it.

I have had Glenmorangie itself, like the 15 I think. Never tried the different cask styles though. I'll look and see what they have here. Not sure on pricing now, the Macallan 18 is $250'ish or so, I'll see if they have that Signet anywhere here, worth a shot.

One of my favorites right now is The Balvenie 14 in the Caribbean Cask (Rum cask) it tastes like honey, so, so good.

The closest I can get to a peaty scotch is The Dalwhinnie. I like it a lot, but it's right on my tolerance for "smokiness".

I use a whiskey bullet and then splash some water in usually. Once in a while I'll do "on the rocks" cause I like to sit outside and, here in Florida, it gets so hot that the bullet doesn't work so well to keep it chilled, but melting ice does.
Post 28 IP   flag post
Quote:
Tried a couple new beverages when I went out over the weekend, a Godfather and an Italian Margarita. At home, finished Balvenie 14 Yr Caribbean Cask. Yummy! Just opened the Woodford Reserve. Hints of citrus and vanilla.

Well, I have to ask ... can you share the recipes? The names are great and most of my crowd are NY & NJ goombas so I need to know.
Post 29 IP   flag post
" . " Davethebrave private msg quote post Address this user
Try Talisker. Going off memory but I think 25 Y.

Delicious.

Love to mix it with Coke Zero.
Post 30 IP   flag post

PLOD theCapraAegagrus private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by xvipah
One of my favorites right now is The Balvenie 14 in the Caribbean Cask (Rum cask) it tastes like honey, so, so good.

That's a great one.

The Glenmorangie wine cask-aged range is fantastic bang-for-your-buck. Only about $50-60/bottle in MI. They're not as rich or 'good' as Macallan, but I prefer their lightness and different range of flavors sometimes.

How long have you been drinking scotch? I ask, because I was also not in peaty stuff for what seems like a long time, in retrospect. It's been my favorite range for awhile now, though.
Post 31 IP   flag post
Captain Accident the420bandito private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davethebrave
This is “on rocks” for me. No, not from this morning.

How is Jupiter's Circle? I read Jupiter's Legacy and loved it. The change in artist kind of turned me off.
Post 32 IP   flag post
@the420bandito Good read overall. Re-reading in a different order now. Will report back after doing so since I originally read in publication date order…

But overall good just not quite(ly) as good as JL ;-)
Post 33 IP   flag post
Quote:

That's a great one.

The Glenmorangie wine cask-aged range is fantastic bang-for-your-buck. Only about $50-60/bottle in MI. They're not as rich or 'good' as Macallan, but I prefer their lightness and different range of flavors sometimes.

How long have you been drinking scotch? I ask, because I was also not in peaty stuff for what seems like a long time, in retrospect. It's been my favorite range for awhile now, though.

I've been "in to" Scotch for maybe 2/3 years or so. I've literally spent that time just trying different stuff and finding what I like. I've tried stuff like Laphroaig and, honestly, I hated it. So I stick with the "clean" flavors as much as I can.

I've honestly been amazed at how different the same liquor can taste. I love finding new ones I like. I just tried The Aberlour 12 a few weeks ago without too much expectations, but I loved it. Always nice to find good, cheaper, options. I love Macallan, but it's not the cheapest thing in the world.

I just bought another botte of The Balvenie Caribbean. It went up $20 since last time I bought it, from $70 to $90. Guy at the store said there was some new tax or something, but that's a bit disheartening for sure.
Post 34 IP   flag post
Oh and current beverage is a good ole Moccamaster brewed coffee. 19 grind on the Baratza.

Realize the purists would suggest a pour over but I can assure you the MM does a better coffee than 99% of the pour overs you get.

For any coffee lovers, getting a good MM is worth it.

;-)
Post 35 IP   flag post
PLOD theCapraAegagrus private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
I've been "in to" Scotch for maybe 2/3 years or so. I've literally spent that time years just trying different stuff and finding what I like. I've tried stuff like Laphroaig and, honestly, I hated it. So I stick with the "clean" flavors as much as I can.

I just bought another botte of The Balvenie Caribbean. It went up $20 since last time I bought it, from $70 to $90. Guy at the store said there was some new tax or something, but that's a bit disheartening for sure.

If I was a betting man, I would say that in a few years your tastes will expand and you'll adopt the peat!

Yeah, the Quarter Cask went up $15 here in January. Some of the inflation/taxes over the years has been staggering.
Post 36 IP   flag post
Quote:

If I was a betting man, I would say that in a few years your tastes will expand and you'll adopt the peat!

It's certainly possible. As I try stuff my tastes might slowly expand out. I'd imagine it will take a LONG time before something like The Laphroaig appeals to me. But not so ashtray-ey scotches? Maybe at some point.
Post 37 IP   flag post
Miss Chanandler Bong jake private msg quote post Address this user
Currently drinking: Illy Intenso

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfoster43
Quote:
Tried a couple new beverages when I went out over the weekend, a Godfather and an Italian Margarita. At home, finished Balvenie 14 Yr Caribbean Cask. Yummy! Just opened the Woodford Reserve. Hints of citrus and vanilla.

Well, I have to ask ... can you share the recipes? The names are great and most of my crowd are NY & NJ goombas so I need to know.

The Godfather is 1 part scotch and 1 part amaretto, while the Italian Margarita is 3 parts tequila, 2 parts amaretto, and a squeeze of lemon and lime.

Quote:
Quote:

That's a great one.

I've been "in to" Scotch for maybe 2/3 years or so. I've literally spent that time just trying different stuff and finding what I like. I've tried stuff like Laphroaig and, honestly, I hated it. So I stick with the "clean" flavors as much as I can.

I've honestly been amazed at how different the same liquor can taste. I love finding new ones I like. I just tried The Aberlour 12 a few weeks ago without too much expectations, but I loved it. Always nice to find good, cheaper, options. I love Macallan, but it's not the cheapest thing in the world.

I checked with the beverage store and Balvenie Caribbean went up from $60 to $115. What? I have seen $100 elsewhere. Glad I bought 3 before the price hike. I talked to the manager and he said that it was not directly tax related, but more so the distillery negotiating with the state on the target price. I guess that they have been in the shadows of their neighbor, Glenfiddich, for too long, so they are trying to get Glenfiddich dollars. You might want to try Aberlour 16. It might be the next big thing...

On another note, new-to-me beers that I have tried recently (ordered best to worst IMO):
- White Street Merideum
- Black Tuesday (North American Port Barrel-Aged Stout)
- Duck Rabbit Milk Stout
- Lexington Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Ale
- Weeping Radish Corolla Gold
Post 38 IP   flag post
Collector 00slim private msg quote post Address this user
I’ve been fine tuning my Long Island Iced Tea recipe.

I’ve avoided them making them due to the number of ingredients, but I’ve got it just about right, now.
Post 39 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 00slim
I’ve been fine tuning my Long Island Iced Tea recipe.

I’ve avoided them making them due to the number of ingredients, but I’ve got it just about right, now.

I like my LI Tea.
Here's my recipe, tweaked over the years. I don't use "fancy" liquors due to the cocktail rule but I also never use the "well" brands. There's a happy medium where you don't waste the delicate aspects of the more costly bottles and the "AAACK" factor of the cheap stuff. You can tell the difference b/t 'wells' and the decent stuff, but barely tell between the decent stuff and the high-end, so I don't waste the money.

In a shaker of large cubes -

Equal full pour jiggers -

Gin (Booths High&Dry or Gordon's-decent aromatics but nothing overpowering, great mixing Gins both of them)
Vodka (100 proof Smirnoff Blue or 80 proof Vikingfjord, Vessica, etc.) (I prefer potato vodka, but it's a tea, so ..)
Rum (100 proof Cap'n Morgans spiced if I'm in a spiced tea mood, Myer's Dark if not.)
Tequila (I avoid silvers for Tea & use a decent cheap Reposado of which there are many)
Triple-Sec
Dash of orange bitters
Either 1/2 jigger Limoncello or a 1/2 Jigger simple syrup & lemon juice.

(Some people like to add a shot of Jack Daniels for a Black Tea, optional)

Shake it don't break it, pour in an english-style pint glass with a lemon slice on the rim and a sprig of mint if you go with the spiced rum.

Leave room for a pour of Coke for color , but some like just the Jack.

Mmmmmmmmmmmmm yummy. Just don't drink and drive. Or drink and eBay , which can be more devastating!
Post 40 IP   flag post
Quote:

I checked with the beverage store and Balvenie Caribbean went up from $60 to $115. What? I have seen $100 elsewhere. Glad I bought 3 before the price hike. I talked to the manager and he said that it was not directly tax related, but more so the distillery negotiating with the state on the target price. I guess that they have been in the shadows of their neighbor, Glenfiddich, for too long, so they are trying to get Glenfiddich dollars. You might want to try Aberlour 16. It might be the next big thing...

Interesting. Since I liked the 12 I will try the Aberlour 16 at some point soon for sure. The Balvenie is the only one I noticed with a price hike that extreme, so the idea that it's just jealousy of Glenfidditch makes a lot of sense. It's worth the $90 or so anyway, so I'm not too bugged by it as long as it doesn't keep climbing.

My next new one to try is Tomatin, picked up a 12 yesterday to give a chance.
Post 41 IP   flag post
Please continue to ignore anything I post. southerncross private msg quote post Address this user

Guinness next door to my lcs in Ballard

At my other lcs a regular brings in cans of beer.
Still feel weird drinking cans of beer inside a comic book store 👍
Post 42 IP   flag post
Collector RexMuff private msg quote post Address this user
@southerncross, I’ve had rum n cokes in my lcs, your right, it was weird.
Tonight I’m hangin with Jack and watchin hummingbirds fight. Such an angry little bird
Post 43 IP   flag post
Please continue to ignore anything I post. southerncross private msg quote post Address this user
@RexMuff here's a pic of hummingbirds my wife took.

Expensive camera and lens.
Her hobby is more expensive than mine 🙂
Post 44 IP   flag post
Collector 00slim private msg quote post Address this user
@dfoster43 I’ve been using light rum & tequila, but I’ll have to try spiced rum & a darker tequila to contrast them.

A friend of mine makes the best Long Islands I’ve ever had & he uses Mr. & Mrs.-T Sweet & Sour mix in place of lemon juice. Specifically that brand.

Anyway, I have a couple friends coming over tonight & mixed up a small pitcher.

I’ll be adding the Coke individually when I serve.

Post 45 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
Highball. vanilla whiskey with club soda and splash of ginger ale.

Post 46 IP   flag post

Quick Guinness before heading next door to the comic shop for free comics

Then home again to have one of these

Which one I'll have?

Post 47 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
Jugo de vaca.
Post 48 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
I made an Old Fashion and to stretch it for afternoon drinking I added a decent amount of sour mix. A friend pointed out that it tastes similar to a Long Island Ice Tea. I recommend giving it a try.
Post 49 IP   flag post
I'll probably wake up constipated. Pre_Coder private msg quote post Address this user
Had a couple of gin and tonics with a lime twist tonight while watching Super Bowl XVIII.

Haven't had a G&T since the early 80's.
Post 50 IP   flag post

Paper plane cocktail.

A Aussie Shiraz

20 year old port that some bugger drunk.
Oh wait that was me 😜
Post 51 IP   flag post
I learned this little trick at a get-together about a week ago: For a whiskey sour or similar drink, use a spoon to drizzle a floater of red wine on top (Shiraz was recommended but others work). It stays separated. makes for a cool looking cocktail (looks like a candle) and in my opinion it seems to neutralize the acidity a bit.
Post 52 IP   flag post
The fancy dancy cocktail I been making with the wine floater on top of the whisky sour-ish drink. Pretty cool looking I think:

Post 53 IP   flag post
Frankendrink?

Leftover fruit from a sangria plus some brandy on top…
Post 54 IP   flag post
Leftover Sundae Gnus CatmanAmerica private msg quote post Address this user
Rogue Dead Guy Ale, it's a bit lighter brew I'm used to ...except in concept!

Post 55 IP   flag post
601455 442 30