Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Grading Help Needed

Grading/Pressing Question15350

Collector JonnyQ private msg quote post Address this user
Bought some comics recently with an unusual issue. The books were stored bagged but not boarded for years in a box that was not quite full. The books sagged a bit, so they have a slight curvature in the lower right hand corner. If you lay them face down, they look flat. If you lay them face up or hold them up vertically, you can see the slight curvature. There is no creasing or color breaking.

How much would a book like that be penalized in grading? The books in question would probably be a 9.6 if you don't count this issue. Would pressing fix this (never had a book pressed before)? Or if the grading penalty is big enough, I guess I could lay them flat with some slight weight on them for a period of time to flatten them out.

Anyway, just looking for advice on the best way to handle this.

Thanks for any help.
Post 1 IP   flag post
The apple sauce and pudding were the best part... Bronte private msg quote post Address this user
Personally I would press it and fix the problem. If you are hesitant you can also do press screening where if it looks like it will benefit, they will press if not, they will just grade as is. It's a small price to pay, if you think about it.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Have I told you about the time I dropped off 3,000 comics at SDCC? Scifinator private msg quote post Address this user
Pressing would help. I had a treasured comic that was accidently bent in half and was shaped like a hockey stick. After a lot of research I sent it in to @SteveRicketts with CBCS and he applied his craft and it came back with a grade of 9.6.

Now, as far as how far you can be dinged in their current state? Hard to say unless we see pics. I will say that I had sent in some comics for grading, without pressing service, that were still in their manufacturer polybags, (not knowing of polybag creases). They came back typical grade dings knocking them down from what should have been 9.6-9.8 to 8.5-9.6, so 1-5 grade level drops. Again without seeing your comics, but based on your description, I would probably guess 9.2-9.4.

Cheers and welcome to the forum.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Cover, 8 pages before the staples, 8 pages after, back cover. MrNotSoNice private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronte
If you are hesitant you can also do press screening

I am a fan of press screening. Let the pros help you.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector RonMob private msg quote post Address this user
I press books and have found that “curves” can be improved a lot by pressing but it takes a few cycles of pressing to get them close to perfect. You could try to put the comic under a stack of books for a few weeks and it will probably improve a bit.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector Triplecdad private msg quote post Address this user
If it's worth grading, it's worth pressing. Had GSX1 go from CBCS grade of 5.5 to post-press 8.5. Obviously a lot more issues than your situation, but that taught me . .. everything submitted gets pressed. It just ain't that much money. The downside is it's sloooowwws down the entire grading process.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Collector RonMob private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triplecdad
If it's worth grading, it's worth pressing. Had GSX1 go from CBCS grade of 5.5 to post-press 8.5. Obviously a lot more issues than your situation, but that taught me . .. everything submitted gets pressed. It just ain't that much money. The downside is it's sloooowwws down the entire grading process.

I agree. Almost every book is improved at least a little bit by pressing it. I have pressed books that I thought were 9.8s and still seen improvements when they come out of a press!
Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector lawguy1977 private msg quote post Address this user
I've never regretted pressing a book. But plenty of times I've regretted NOT pressing a book.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Collector radd76 private msg quote post Address this user
@lawguy1977 right for sure!!
Post 9 IP   flag post
598064 9 9
This topic is archived. Start new topic?