Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Movies TelevisionQuestions

Sell now or wait?15346

Collector Jetsetfive private msg quote post Address this user
I'm wondering what I should do with my SIKTC 9.8. I know it's pretty hot right now but with the series coming out on Netflix I'm wondering if I should hold on and wait until the trailer comes. Any thing thoughts or experience on this would be great. Thanks
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector Sebastsk8 private msg quote post Address this user
I have to think it's close to peak already, could wait for a trailer but I don't think it'll end up getting a huge bump given the already huge price tag on it.
Post 2 IP   flag post
I haven't aired it out. It's part of the provenance. Galen130 private msg quote post Address this user
I don’t collect or follow SIKTC, but if you need money…yes. If you’re speculating value…more power to you. 🤙
Post 3 IP   flag post
" . " Davethebrave private msg quote post Address this user
How many copies printed?
Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector dfoster43 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetsetfive
SIKTC

SIKTC ?
Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector monjoody private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfoster43
SIKTC ?

Something is Killing the Children
Post 6 IP   flag post
Miss Chanandler Bong jake private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davethebrave
How many copies printed?

33,658 copies order by retailers.
For variants, varies, I have seen limited to 500 copies and as high as 2,238 for 5th print.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector dfoster43 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by monjoody
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfoster43
SIKTC ?

Something is Killing the Children

YIKES! That sounds creepy.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Captain Accident the420bandito private msg quote post Address this user
I agree I don't see this book going up that much more although I wouldn't complain if it did. (I own 1 9.8 copy)

I think this book is next Walking Dead #1. It already has a huge fanbase. Anyone I have told about it falls in love with it. Erica Slaughter rules.
Post 9 IP   flag post
I agree, I picked up a copy of issue 12 and have been hooked ever since. Got most of the back issues already.

#1 first print was a low print run, and 9.8s are not uncommon but still demanding a heavy price. First prints are selling for 1k+ without breaking a sweat. And that's just a regular graded, not SS.
Post 10 IP   flag post
Moderator Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
And just to add more to the SIKTC mix, there is an upcoming spin off title. I saw this in this month's previews on MCS.

Post 11 IP   flag post
Collector Paulbg2000 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse_O
And just to add more to the SIKTC mix, there is an upcoming spin off title. I saw this in this month's previews on MCS.

The FCBD House of Slaughter issue will be a good one to pickup...
Post 12 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jake
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davethebrave
How many copies printed?

33,658 copies order by retailers.
For variants, varies, I have seen limited to 500 copies and as high as 2,238 for 5th print.

Thanks - and relatively recent and during a period with even more careful book storage etc… so about 5x the first walking dead’s volume?

So max fair value (ambitious) might be what, $600-$700? Sustained? And peak “craze” maybe $1,600-$1,800?

I mean for short term spec I assume limited upside to $1,800 and longer term the book should drop to $600 or $700 if it becomes the most popular thing since TWD…

I know I wont buy haha
Post 13 IP   flag post
@Davethebrave I wouldn't consider right now it's max hype stage(probably when a trailer is released), and it's already been close to that range. I could see it breaking 2k if the trailer release is good etc.

It isn't a book I would spend 1k on for speculation, but if you were lucky enough to pick up one or more cover 1As I'd definitely get them graded.

#16 might also be worthwhile with it being the origin of Erica Slaughter.
Post 14 IP   flag post
@Sebastsk8 I just look at the math and the math says max $1,800 hyped - which I agree we may not be there yet… in fact we arent.

But that is saying the “importance” of the book reaches TWD levels OR the overhyped/overpriced phase reaches higher heights.

It seems ambitious to assume it will be as popular as TWD. It is just a speculator/bubble game already given the numbers.

There is plenty of those traits in today’s market so for a longer term collector or “investor” it isn’t a game I will participate in.
Post 15 IP   flag post
Collector Noblebeast315 private msg quote post Address this user
I just recently grabbed one that I suspect to be a 9.6. It’s in grading now. I love the series and would like to keep it but if I can double my money on the book it’s hard to say no to that. Especially for a modern book. You don’t always get chances like that.
Post 16 IP   flag post
Boom has a couple books I picked up #1s just in case, We Only Find Them When They're Dead has a great storyline so far and an interesting premise, could easily see that being made into an animated series or something along those lines.
Post 17 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
@Davethebrave I'm wondering if there is another input that needs to be added to you valuation model. When TWD peaked key comics on average were selling for X. Today many of those same comics are selling for 2x-3x of that price. It seems there is currently just a different relationship between dollars and comic books than there was in the past. This may mean that the SIKTC book could go to 2-3 times what you are expecting. But I'm still not a buyer.
Post 18 IP   flag post
I think nowadays comic prices are almost purely driven by demand. Some books that should be nowhere near say 1000 still manage to get there because of movie or series hype, future speculation, etc.

Some of these books should be nowhere near where they're at, and are not exactly rare books. But give a little nudge and a bunch of collectors or speculators with full pockets and they can sell for whatever people bid them up to. I bought a whole bunch of venom 26 SLHLA Kirkham variants for 15 bucks a piece, sold all of them within 3 days for 35 a piece. The best part is - they were still in stock for 15 each!
Post 19 IP   flag post
@EbayMafia yes, the overinflated piece could make it an “x” price <— like Gamestop or AMC once you disconnect entirely from reality or rationality it becomes unguessable. Or we can say that now that the market is taking a breather (from other collectibles I am watching) perhaps the low end needs reducing.

Plus remember TWD was actually a global phenom when pricing hit its peak. We would need global phenom plus all the other irrationality.

I see that as a moonshot.
Post 20 IP   flag post
@Sebastsk8 right - but all that for those books says “bubble”. Justified however people want there will be a reckoning because with that supply level to unlock the “wealth” you need someone to be a buyer.

Some markets are tough to exit (non localized real estate bubbles) but others are easy (stocks, bonds, comics etc).

I just wouldnt play the speculating game unless someone is truly acting to speculate and the $ are insignificant…

I dont buy comics to speculate and flip.

Btw, I will sometimes a) buy irrationally or not sell irrationally (ASM129) and b)sometimes will buy expensive moderns.

Invincible 1 for example - I have read all issues and while it is fully priced, it doesnt feel absurd because at least the supply is low.

Get rid of that low supply and all of sudden it doesnt look great.
Post 21 IP   flag post
@Sebastsk8 oh and what you did suggests there was a near riskless arbitrage opportunity. Which for something like comics can happen for a short period of time… awesome trade for sure ;-)
Post 22 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebastsk8
I think nowadays comic prices are almost purely driven by demand.

@Sebastsk8 That is really true of most anything that has a fixed amount of supply. But I think you are implying maybe that the current demand is over-heated? Not sustainable for the long run? I figure thats probably true in parts of the market.
Post 23 IP   flag post
The majority of the hype is definitely not long term to sustain current prices especially on most modern books. Some I think may still stay above pre covid prices, like asm 300, 316, 361 etc. And more vintage books will probably hold value pretty well although I'm sure they'll take a dip when the collectibles market in general slow down a little.

The edge most collectors have I think is that we understand a little more of the speculatory game when it comes to comics than some purely investment-minded purchases. So I'm more than happy to cash in a little on upcoming first appearances or hype books, the risk for 4 or 5 dollar cover price books is extremely small when compared to the ridiculous price some of these books are fetching. Even 1 win would more than make up for a whole lot of failures.
Post 24 IP   flag post
Perfect example of how dumb some buyers are - copy of stray dogs 1A currently bid to about 66 with shipping, and I'm sure it'll go higher. In the market for a copy since Trish Forstner will be at baltimore comiccon and I'd like to get one signed. Just found a BIN NM copy on ebay for 63 after shipping. 🤦
Post 25 IP   flag post
Worked out in my favor, people were bidding up the other auction and missed one ending about 30 mins before it...got a nice copy for 47 bucks while the other one got bid up to 76. Both look immaculate, probably 9.6-9.8
Post 26 IP   flag post
Collector timberghost private msg quote post Address this user
sell
Post 27 IP   flag post
601306 27 27
This topic is archived. Start new topic?