Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Silver AgeQuestions

Doctor Strange question1534

Collector catrick339 private msg quote post Address this user
A friend of mine just watched the Doctor Strange movie (She borrowed the Masterworks a while back) and just asked me a question I couldn't answer.

Have either Ditko or Stan Lee ever mentioned reading Huxley's Doors of Perception?

I know that Lee read a lot of stuff and used it as source material for his writing, but how about Steve Ditko? I know he corresponds with a lot of people, has anyone ever seen a mention of this?

I haven't seen anything about this particular book mentioned, but I told her I'd put the question out on the Boards.

Post here if you can confirm either one reading the book.

Thanks!
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector mora1618 private msg quote post Address this user
The subject isn't new; Lee many times give full credit for the creation of the caracter to Ditko but in Lee stile never afirm nothing about the intelectual work beyond comics. Many people think that DR. Strange subyacent filosofy about there are realities beyond the five senses with genuine meaning for humans far more satisfactory than sentiments and sexuality come directly from Huxley. I think Huxley is a caracter similar than Ditko expecially in Mr. A and probably he took part of The Doors of Perception as inspiration. Ditko also use the work of Ayn Rand as inspiration. Dr. Strange conection with cultural changes in the 60's can't be random.
Post 2 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR conditionfreak private msg quote post Address this user
The movie sucks.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector steveinthecity private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by conditionfreak
The movie sucks.
You should put that in a spoiler tag.
Post 4 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR conditionfreak private msg quote post Address this user
Trying to save you money.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Please continue to ignore anything I post. southerncross private msg quote post Address this user
I love that movie

Post 6 IP   flag post
Collector Mr_adam_R private msg quote post Address this user
Ill wait for dvd. Or unless i hear something crazy, probably wait for it to come out on cable.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector Mr_adam_R private msg quote post Address this user
Ill wait for dvd. Or unless i hear something crazy, probably wait for it to come out on cable.
Post 8 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR BigRig private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
The movie sucks.

Quote:
Trying to save you money.

I appreciated it was going to see it now I'll just watch it online instead
Post 9 IP   flag post
Collector no1lufcfan private msg quote post Address this user
Great movie Benedict Cumberbatch portrayal of the Doc is top notch and just as I would have wanted having read Doc Strange in the early 70’s. Story line pretty good and great special effects……………..big thumps up from this side of the pond
Post 10 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
My wife absolutely loved the movie, but I missed it so have to wait for DVD. She's not one to like shitty comic movies either (ex SS sucked).

Post 11 IP   flag post
600519 11 11
This topic is archived. Start new topic?