Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS GradedSignatures

PGX Regrade Question15326

Collector DeltaKilo private msg quote post Address this user
Hi, 1st comment here!

I picked up a PGX (bleh, I know) graded Spiderman #1 signed by Todd McFarlane and Stan Lee at LA ComicCon in 2018.

I believe if regraded & slabbed with CBCS it would get a verified signature red tag and maybe a different grade, but would the signature date and 'signed at LA ComicCon' verbiage still appear on the new CBCS label?

I'm new to CBCS, and I'm hoping someone can break down the process for me.

Thanks.
Post 1 IP   flag post
Have I told you about the time I dropped off 3,000 comics at SDCC? Scifinator private msg quote post Address this user
@DeltaKilo - Unfortunately, it would not. There are cgc SS that will carry over but not pgx. And now, the VSP's are yellow labels. Verbiage is different with VSP's being "Verified" while ASP's are "Witnessed".

Cheers and welcome to the forum.
Post 2 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR dielinfinite private msg quote post Address this user
@DeltaKilo No it would not because CBCS does not take into account any outside documentation when verifying signatures. Signature verification is based entirely on the signature on the item. No COAS, no photographs, no testimonials, no PGX labels. The signature verification is CBCS/Beckett saying they believe the signature is authentic with no claims of when or where it was signed.
Post 3 IP   flag post
SpongeBob Comics #1 sells for $991! Joosh private msg quote post Address this user
There’s also a possibility the legitimate signatures are deemed unverifiable, so there is inherent risk in switching from a witnessed sig PGX to the Verified sig CBCS program.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Hi Guys,

Thanks so much for the info. I was halfway thinking this one was good where it is anyway. I really like that this slab states that Lee & McFarlane were at the same (formerly Stan Lee's) convention together, since they were pretty good buddies and all.

I keep finding YouTube videos that show that PGX grades are pretty on-par with CGC. Fairly recently I just thought that a 9.8 PGX would be a 9.6 CGC, but the evidence from these collectors shows otherwise. It's pretty one up-one down but overall pretty even between the two.

I saw something about PGX having been slapped with a $10,000 (unsure of the figure) some years ago for having way over-graded a book. Are there any other verifiable instances that earn them a relatively bad reputation or is it just people piling on?

I looked into it and saw something about the founder of CBCS being CGC's original grader. I also heard something about CBCS having higher grading standards. Is that true?

If so, is it just a matter of time before CBCS becomes the preeminent comic grading company?
Post 5 IP   flag post
The Fifth Golden Girl sborock private msg quote post Address this user
@DeltaKilo Welcome to the forum!
Yes, I was the original primary grader and restoration detection expert at our competitor many years ago. I, along with Mark Haspel, set the grading standards back then.
Post 6 IP   flag post
I called CGC about the giveback benefit. beastboy1980 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaKilo
Hi Guys,

Thanks so much for the info. I was halfway thinking this one was good where it is anyway. I really like that this slab states that Lee & McFarlane were at the same (formerly Stan Lee's) convention together, since they were pretty good buddies and all.

I keep finding YouTube videos that show that PGX grades are pretty on-par with CGC. Fairly recently I just thought that a 9.8 PGX would be a 9.6 CGC, but the evidence from these collectors shows otherwise. It's pretty one up-one down but overall pretty even between the two.

I saw something about PGX having been slapped with a $10,000 (unsure of the figure) some years ago for having way over-graded a book. Are there any other verifiable instances that earn them a relatively bad reputation or is it just people piling on?

I looked into it and saw something about the founder of CBCS being CGC's original grader. I also heard something about CBCS having higher grading standards. Is that true?

If so, is it just a matter of time before CBCS becomes the preeminent comic grading company?

i have cracked PGX and sent them into CGC and they have come back same grade almost all the time.
its just a risk on cracking open any book by any company for the sole reason its going to be handled again through shipping and packing and graded.
Post 7 IP   flag post
I called CGC about the giveback benefit. beastboy1980 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Hi Guys,

thats hard to say who grades tougher its all subjective

Post 8 IP   flag post
Oh wow, a response form the big cheese!

I have a recommendation:

When CBCS gets exclusive signings make sure to send an e-mail reminder to everyone in your census with that person's work about the opportunity for a book's creator(s) to sign their pieces.

I am a recent member of CGC, and relatively new to being a serious collector. I was going to mention this to them, but after having just been acquired by BlackStone I figure they've reached evil empire status and don't need the help.

Also, with the signature verification service, I feel CBCS as an entity is forward-thinking enough to go the extra mile for its customers in such a way.

All The Best,

Dan
Post 9 IP   flag post
PLOD theCapraAegagrus private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
I have a recommendation:

When CBCS gets exclusive signings make sure to send an e-mail reminder to everyone in your census with that person's work about the opportunity for a book's creator(s) to sign their pieces.

Um, yikes.
Post 10 IP   flag post
601195 10 10
This topic is archived. Start new topic?