Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Grading Help NeededQuestions

Newbie here, advice on my only comic15311

Collector ralpheal1 private msg quote post Address this user
Hello,
Is it ok to post a pic of my comic to see if it will be worth getting graded. I want to sell it, but was told if its graded I may get more for it.
Its Raphael #1 1985, some minor wrinkles on the spine, other than that it looks good.
Thanks for any advice
Post 1 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR dielinfinite private msg quote post Address this user
Yes, people on the boards typically enjoy testing their grading eye by examining books
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector Belarak private msg quote post Address this user
Welcome to the forums!

Yes graded comics do sell for more because it sets a standard grade to a comic that gives a guide to pricing. raw comics while they may be graded correctly people like to see that number on a slab.

You might even get an offer or two here. Be aware turnaround times on grading have gotten a little crazy. Theres been an explosion in the collectible grading world.
Post 3 IP   flag post
I'd like to say I still turned out alright, but that would be a lie. flanders private msg quote post Address this user
Raphael #1 is a magazine sized comic and can't be encapsulated by CBCS. I think you'd be better off with CGC instead of choosing the CBCS raw grade option for magazine sized comics. Your other option is to consign the comic through mycomicshop.com. They'll grade the book for you and you can sell it on their site less a 10% commission. You'd get more money once the book sells if you go through CGC. However, the turnaround time at CGC for magazine sized slabs is over 8 months.
Post 4 IP   flag post
@dielinfinite Thanks!

Post 5 IP   flag post
The apple sauce and pudding were the best part... Bronte private msg quote post Address this user
CGC magazine grading is crazy longer than even the standard comic TAT. I have a December order of 6 qty last ronin ash can that is still in encapsulation stage for like the past 3 weeks. No pressing, just gtading.

Granted a Raphael might bump it up a grading tier.
Post 6 IP   flag post
I'd like to say I still turned out alright, but that would be a lie. flanders private msg quote post Address this user
I'm not sure if it's the photo but that looks like the wavy wacky inflatable arm tube man of comics.
Post 7 IP   flag post
lol, ya seems alittle wavy.
Thanks for all the info. Ill look into that CGC.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Captain Corrector CaptainCanuck private msg quote post Address this user
@ralpheal1

Research comic book pressing options, it may help with the wave 👋
Post 9 IP   flag post
@CaptainCanuck
Oh wow didnt know presing was a thing. Just checked it out.
Thanks!
Post 10 IP   flag post
So im looking into getting it pressed to get more out of it. Do I have to press it as a magazine or just comic. Thanks again
Post 11 IP   flag post
The apple sauce and pudding were the best part... Bronte private msg quote post Address this user
Going through cgc, you will select magazine and the pressing will match the magazine choice. Be mindful turnaround times are at a very long time and grading and pressing is going to take a very long time.

175 days pressing 172 days grading. Those are business days, keep in mind weekends and holidays are separate.
Post 12 IP   flag post
Collector Belarak private msg quote post Address this user
I know its been promised for a long time, but CBCS says they are coming out with a magazine slab. With that kind of turnaround at CGC, it might be better to wait on CBCS. Just a thought.
Post 13 IP   flag post
I anxiously await a CBCS magazine alternative. However, it could be awhile. Given there is no definite time-line, I would say proceed as if it doesn't exist, because CBCS turn around times aren't anything to sneeze at and there are going to be a huge influx of orders when they announce magazine slabs.
Post 14 IP   flag post
Collector sckao private msg quote post Address this user
Given the current realized prices for slabbed copies, it seems that any grade above 4.0 would seem to be worth it to get a Raphael #1 1st printing pressed and slabbed.

(I have multiple copies currently in the queue to be slabbed but don't expect them back for a while.)
Post 15 IP   flag post
"Forum Overlord" bah ha ha ha... JustThatGuy private msg quote post Address this user
Welcome to the hobby.
Post 16 IP   flag post
597964 16 16
This topic is archived. Start new topic?