Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Bronze AgeQuestions

Dry Clean Only? (ASM 129)15267

Collector 00slim private msg quote post Address this user
I purchased a small collection that I’m still grading & evaluating.

But the highlight was definitely this ASM 129.

It’s low grade and there’s a fair amount of tape inside on an ad page.

An experienced Presser advised me that he would suggest a dry cleaning only (no press) given the accumulation of defects & wear at the staples.

Even that, he said, would be delicate work, with the likelihood of no grade bump. Strictly a better presentation. I’m paraphrasing, but that was the gist of it.

Still, I wanted to hear the consensus on this.

Dry clean? Or grade as-is?

This bend goes 80% through the book.

The vintage tape:

The reverse of the taped sections:

So, dry clean, or leave as-is & slab?

Or, leave raw?

I’m leaning towards slab as-is for preservation.
Post 1 IP   flag post
The apple sauce and pudding were the best part... Bronte private msg quote post Address this user
The presser should be able to determine if their skills are sufficient to not destroy the book. But even if it did damage the book further, it's not like it's going to drop 5 points....

I vote press and get the best presenting book possible.
Post 2 IP   flag post
I'd like to say I still turned out alright, but that would be a lie. flanders private msg quote post Address this user
I'd have it cleaned, slabbed and get an opinion from whoever is cleaning it. I'm sure they'll fold that right front corner down for you before grading and encapsulating, even if they don't press it.

It's a great looking copy with good centering that presents well, regardless what they're able to do to improve it.
Post 3 IP   flag post
I'll probably wake up constipated. Pre_Coder private msg quote post Address this user
Clean - Yes.
Press - Obviously I'm not holding the book in my hands so as to determine it's structural integrity, but judging by the pics, it appears it would survive a loving press. A pro-presser can make that determination.
Slab - Of course.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector doog private msg quote post Address this user
Press, for sure
Post 5 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
Press if able and definitely slab. great book!
Post 6 IP   flag post
CBCS Boomhauer HeinzDad private msg quote post Address this user
Dry clean.... trust your person. If he/she says that and you have believed in them before go with it. Unless there is a total failure most books look better after a press and clean whether the grade dictates it or not.. Do you want it to look better for yourself???????
Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector 00slim private msg quote post Address this user
Full disclosure, my plan is to sell this one & my 4.5 and use the money to upgrade to a nicer copy.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Collector SidTheSquid private msg quote post Address this user
Press it! Those edges could be sharp.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Collector Rafel private msg quote post Address this user
Yes, get it pressed!!
Post 10 IP   flag post
Captain Corrector CaptainCanuck private msg quote post Address this user
If it’s too delicate for a press, maybe use a tacking iron.
Post 11 IP   flag post
601310 11 11
This topic is archived. Start new topic?