Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS GradedCertified Comics For SaleComics Bronze Age

MCS "Scuffed" comment - Should I be mad??15245

Collector dfoster43 private msg quote post Address this user
I sent off 2 slabs to MCS directly after getting them back from CBCS, within a week or so, never even took them out of the plastic bag that they put the slabs in.

I then (nervous and with trepidation) took the advice to send them to MCS to consign, and they took a week or so to "process" (scan and examine i imagine) them and for some reason they are listed as

"Scuffing on front and back of case"

BOTH of them!!

Now, these were my FIRST slabs ever, and I was tickled PINK to see them when they got back from CBCS. I looked them over like a proud papa but I never saw any "Scuffing" and I never took them out of their plastic bags. They looked GREAT to me. The books were in tight, no movement, no damage to them I could see, and since someone had told me about "Newton Rings" I shined lights at them and tried to see if I saw any (I didn't), etc. but my point is i LOOKED at them more than just glancing i scrutinized them.

What is up with the "Scuffing" ?? Why would they put that, and doesn't it imply that THEY during their "scan and examine" process did whatever scuffing they're referring to?

Has anyone else had this happen?

Another thing is that their scanning process produced WEIRD blueish shapes at the bottom of the slab, like some sort of artifact of the scanning process:

Anyone ever see this before? Those are NOT on MY photos of the slabs.
Post 1 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
They call just about anything as scuffed to prevent returns. A scuffed slab means nothing to me as I'm buying the book inside.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Beaten by boat oars Studley_Dudley private msg quote post Address this user
Yes, as @DrWatson stated, it's just a way for MCS to protect themselves from buyers trying to nickel and dime them on partial returns. There was a thread where MCS explained it on the CGC forum. I'll link it if I find it.
Post 3 IP   flag post
To answer your question, no, this is not where the comics go to die. MutantMania private msg quote post Address this user
I think MCS does the "slab grading" like they do the raw grading. It is very strict and harsh grading.
I have sent perfect slabs and have had lots of the "scuffing" remarks noted.
I wouldn't be to worried about it though
Post 4 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR dielinfinite private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfoster43
Another thing is that their scanning process produced WEIRD blueish shapes at the bottom of the slab, like some sort of artifact of the scanning process:

That’s just a natural result of the scanning process. Light hits a slab differently during a scan than during a photograph. Depending on the scanner and shape of the slab they can appear differently but they are nothing to be concerned about

Post 5 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by dielinfinite
Quote:

That’s just a natural result of the scanning process. Light hits a slab differently during a scan than during a photograph. Depending on the scanner and shape of the slab they can appear differently but they are nothing to be concerned about

Thanks! That's what I figured, that they were due to scanning, but I was more concerned that they (and that "scuffing" comment, would be fodder for people passing up the purchase.

I really need to sell these and didn't want the description or the photos impeding that.

Thank you!
Post 6 IP   flag post
SpongeBob Comics #1 sells for $991! Joosh private msg quote post Address this user
Most slabs I’ve sent to MCS were marked for scuffs, new and old. It’s just part of the process. If there is enough damage(usually from shipping) they will send books out to their respective grading companies for reholder.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrWatson
They call just about anything as scuffed to prevent returns. A scuffed slab means nothing to me as I'm buying the book inside.

Thanks, that's reassuring. It's what I was mostly worried about.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Studley_Dudley
Yes, as @DrWatson stated, it's just a way for MCS to protect themselves from buyers trying to nickel and dime them on partial returns. There was a thread where MCS explained it on the CGC forum. I'll link it if I find it.

Wow, that's an interesting "solution" to a problem that I wouldn't have thought they'd come up that borders on both irresponsible and fraudulant. But hey if I'm the only one that didn't know about it I guess it's zero-sum, huh?
The only thing that bothered me was seeing so many WITHOUT that 'scuffing' text when I KNOW mine wasn't scuffed but brand-new.
Still ... I'm over it. As long as it doesn't deter anyone on the fence LOL
Post 9 IP   flag post
I'm a #2. BigRedOne1944 private msg quote post Address this user
@dfoster43

CBCS has a serious issue with their new slabs and the scuff marks that have been present on hoards of the slabs they have been currently shipping out. If their quality control does not quickly address the issue of those "production marks" being left on their slabs I will have to discontinue using their services.

You thoroughly scrutinized your new slabs?

but didn't bother taking them out of the plastic bags?

Meaning you obviously didn't look at them that close as I suspect they probably all had the "production line scuffs" which is likely what MCS was noting.

So while MCS may be tough with the "scuff" notations, they do it with good reason, because there's notable scuffs. They don't just do it indiscriminately to every slab cosigned to them. There are plenty of slabs on their site that don't carry any "Scuffed" notations.
Post 10 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
I assume all my slabs have scuff marks.
Post 11 IP   flag post
Not trying to be an ass since February 12, 2020. HulkSmash private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:

Thanks, that's reassuring. It's what I was mostly worried about.

In my experience; Slabs I’ve purchased from MCS noted with “minor scuffing” were in very good shape. I have not seen anything detracting from the visual appeal of the books. Only thing I’ve seen (so far) are extremely light marks like if maybe a slab rubbed/bumped on another or something. Only way I could describe it is like wiping a brand new CD with your shirt; nothing major happens, but in direct light you can see those super fine scratches.
Post 12 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by EbayMafia
I assume all my slabs have scuff marks.

Mine too. I might be upset if all I were collecting were plastic cases.
Post 13 IP   flag post
Have I told you about the time I dropped off 3,000 comics at SDCC? Scifinator private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:

Wow, that's an interesting "solution" to a problem that I wouldn't have thought they'd come up that borders on both irresponsible and fraudulant. But hey if I'm the only one that didn't know about it I guess it's zero-sum, huh?
The only thing that bothered me was seeing so many WITHOUT that 'scuffing' text when I KNOW mine wasn't scuffed but brand-new.
@dfoster43 - Dr Watson is pretty on the money regarding MCS and CBCS encasements. That said, cgc slabs now have a tendency to have visible scuffing inside the slab. Which may be a byproduct in attempting to thwart newton rings.
Post 14 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scifinator
Quote:
Quote:

@dfoster43 - Dr Watson is pretty on the money regarding MCS and CBCS encasements. That said, cgc slabs now have a tendency to have visible scuffing inside the slab. Which may be a byproduct in attempting to thwart newton rings.

I would respectfully disagree.

CBCS's current quality control issue with the Vertical production line scuffs is unacceptable to me. For the money and time invested in having the books slabbed I expect a quality end product.

Some may be willing to settle for a sub par product, I am not one of them.

The deflection to Newton Rings and CGC is pretty weak IMHO
Post 15 IP   flag post
SpongeBob Comics #1 sells for $991! Joosh private msg quote post Address this user
@BigRedOne1944 I agree completely. I had multiple CBCS books reholdered in 2020-21 for the new improved cases only to be let down at the scuff marks.
This isn’t an issue with MCS, it’s the grading companies being currently incapable of consistently providing scratch/scuff free cases.
Post 16 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRedOne1944
@dfoster43

CBCS has a serious issue with their new slabs and the scuff marks that have been present on hoards of the slabs they have been currently shipping out. If their quality control does not quickly address the issue of those "production marks" being left on their slabs I will have to discontinue using their services.

You thoroughly scrutinized your new slabs?

but didn't bother taking them out of the plastic bags?

Meaning you obviously didn't look at them that close as I suspect they probably all had the "production line scuffs" which is likely what MCS was noting.

So while MCS may be tough with the "scuff" notations, they do it with good reason, because there's notable scuffs. They don't just do it indiscriminately to every slab cosigned to them. There are plenty of slabs on their site that don't carry any "Scuffed" notations.

No, as I said, they were scrutinized like Frank Zappa was doing it.

There were no scuff marks. I took both of them out of the bags briefly to check the "Newton Ring" possibility, but that's it and didn't think that really counted, not when you consider people taking them out and passing them around, displaying them, playing hockey with them on the floor, etc.

Your prediliction agaisnt CBCS quality control is obvious and I'm not discounting that. I'm sure you have good reason, but seeing how I had done this for the first time and how much it meant to me I made sure to examine them thoroughly. The explanation that MCS does this to cover their asses is far more plausible now that its been voiced.

To my eye I saw no issues and don't believe there were "scuff marks" however I'm sure repeated exposure to these as you all have may prove me incorrect.

The takeaway I'm taking away is that MCS will do this and that I don't need to worry about it.

Thanks everyone for their input.
Post 17 IP   flag post
Not trying to be an ass since February 12, 2020. HulkSmash private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joosh
@BigRedOne1944 I agree completely. I had multiple CBCS books reholdered in 2020-21 for the new improved cases only to be let down at the scuff marks.
This isn’t an issue with MCS, it’s the grading companies being currently incapable of consistently providing scratch/scuff free cases.
I get the argument, but CGC, CBCS, etc do not manufacture slabs. They can only provide the quality they get from the manufacturer. Until they receive consistent quality there is not much we can bitch n moan about.

Not trying to be an ass btw.
Post 18 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
I think @eBaymafia stated "perfection is the enemy of good enough"....I think that applies here. The "scuffs" that I've seen have been few and far between and low in visibility.
Post 19 IP   flag post
Why just the women? I like bears. Gaard private msg quote post Address this user
It's not cool to blame the suppliers. Each company has a QC department. You inspect the slab. If you see scuff marks, you reslab ... you do not ship it out. It's so simple.
Post 20 IP   flag post
Yeah, it's real simple. If the entire batch of cases has a few scuff marks, then you lengthen already incredibly long TATs by closing down the slabbing department and suspending shipments until the plastics company decides to send you the replacements.
Post 21 IP   flag post
Why just the women? I like bears. Gaard private msg quote post Address this user
All slabs have scuff marks?
Post 22 IP   flag post
To answer your question, no, this is not where the comics go to die. MutantMania private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaard
All slabs have scuff marks?

I think all scuff marks have slabs
Post 23 IP   flag post
I'd like to say I still turned out alright, but that would be a lie. flanders private msg quote post Address this user
@BigRedOne1944 @Joosh I agree with both of you. There is one scratch on all slabs that is consistent and should have been remedied when they were making the prototype for the new case. In addition, there are far too many scuff marks on the front and back of the cases. I could understand if these were only happening for the first few months after the new cases were produced, but it's been over a year now and shouldn't be happening. Unfortunately it's still the best product out there, but I hope CBCS isn't happy with the quality of the product they're putting their name on. CGC's cases are crap and the inner well isn't even secure. You also can't even see the entire book in the case so for me they still aren't an option. For now, I won't be slabbing any of my personal collection. I'd like those slabs to be scratch free.

Post 24 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by HulkSmash
Quote:
I get the argument, but CGC, CBCS, etc do not manufacture slabs. They can only provide the quality they get from the manufacturer. Until they receive consistent quality there is not much we can bitch n moan about.

I realize that not every slab is going to be pristine, and the current CBCS flaw Im talking about is NOT a Manufacturer flaw. It is the vertical scuff marks that run the length of the case. This flaw is from the equipment that is sealing the slabs together during the encapsulation process and a lack of quality control at CBCS. I have to believe that it is an issue that CBCS could easily resolve. I still have a couple orders in with CBCS, so we will see.
Post 25 IP   flag post
CBCS Boomhauer HeinzDad private msg quote post Address this user
All my shorts have “light scuffing”. You just can’t always see it.
Post 26 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeinzDad
All my shorts have “light scuffing”. You just can’t always see it.

undershorts, I presume? We call them skid marks, but scuffing makes sense.
Post 27 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRedOne1944
Quote:
Originally Posted by HulkSmash
Quote:

I realize that not every slab is going to be pristine, and the current CBCS flaw Im talking about is NOT a Manufacturer flaw. It is the vertical scuff marks that run the length of the case. This flaw is from the equipment that is sealing the slabs together during the encapsulation process and a lack of quality control at CBCS. I have to believe that it is an issue that CBCS could easily resolve. I still have a couple orders in with CBCS, so we will see.

At least I got a new title out of this thread. Thanks Jesse.
Post 28 IP   flag post
I just received this book in the mail. For all of those complaining about scuffed slabs, this is what a truly scuffed slab looks like.

Here we go:

Post 29 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
I just received this book in the mail. For all of those complaining about scuffed slabs, this is what a truly scuffed slab looks like.

Looks okay to me - I don't see a single scuff!
Post 30 IP   flag post
601322 33 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?