Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
QuestionsSignatures

Books signed on the first page instead of cover15215

Collector goalcam private msg quote post Address this user
Wondering if it's worth slabbing a book if it's signed inside on the first page rather than a cover. I have a couple unique books where there are signatures on the first page. Fantastic Four 49 where Stan Lee signed the cover but slightly tore it while doing so. The book is low grade, probably a 2.0 at best. He wrote a nice inscription inside. Also have a Silver Surfer 34 signed by both Ron Lim and Jim Starlin on the first page, this one is a high grade, probably 9.4-9.6.

Post 1 IP   flag post
Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
100% worth it....for the few I bought there were pictures of the signature and I plan on doing the same for the few I have signed on the interior!
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector Supermole private msg quote post Address this user
Would they note it is remarked "officislly torn by Stan Lee" or just note it is signed?
Post 3 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR dielinfinite private msg quote post Address this user
@Supermole Just that it is signed. They can't determine who it was that tore it
Post 4 IP   flag post
I showed my wife and she was so happy for me she started to cry. Batman66 private msg quote post Address this user
I take a picture of the signature and keep it in a top loader and keep that with the slab, it's nice seeing the sig( especially the officially torn by).
Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector ggovel private msg quote post Address this user
Here’s the story of a few that Joe Sinnott signed for me back in 1978:

http://collectorsyndicate.com/joe-sinnott-vsp-results/

Post 6 IP   flag post
Collector Supermole private msg quote post Address this user
Stan wrote "officislly torn by Stan Lee". Slabbing this one for me would be a tough call if they only note it as signed. Stan Lee remarks are a lot less common than just his signature.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector Bobashek private msg quote post Address this user
I have issue 1 of Battle for a Three Dimensional World that is (presumably) signed by Jack Kirby on the first page. I'm debating on sending that one in. A Kirby auto won't be easy to replace if anything happened to it.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Not trying to be an ass since February 12, 2020. HulkSmash private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermole
Stan wrote "officislly torn by Stan Lee". Slabbing this one for me would be a tough call if they only note it as signed. Stan Lee remarks are a lot less common than just his signature.

You could make a notation on the invoice to include the inscription by Stan Lee on the label and the please gets you a long way if you are asking for something reasonable. Worst case they don’t make the notation. I don’t see why they wouldn’t; if they can verify the sig then context writing should match no?

Cool book. I get being unsure of slabbing; I’d want be able see that one out of plastic. Stan sigs are dime a dozen, but this one is unique and deserving of preservation. Oh and it a sig before 2018 when he signed like a million books so it has that going for too. I don’t have enough digits to count labels I’ve seen “signed by Stan Lee on xx/2018.
Post 9 IP   flag post
I should say that I HOPE this is an actual signature and not something printed in the comic. It came that way when I bought a collection.

Post 10 IP   flag post
Collector goalcam private msg quote post Address this user
Yeah with the Surfer book it's not overly unique so a note on the label should be fine but on the FF the Stan Lee inscription adds to the story of him tearing it on the cover. Luckily the book was already low grade when he signed so I don't think the tear did much to the value.
Post 11 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR dielinfinite private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by HulkSmash
You could make a notation on the invoice to include the inscription by Stan Lee on the label and the please gets you a long way if you are asking for something reasonable. Worst case they don’t make the notation. I don’t see why they wouldn’t; if they can verify the sig then context writing should match no?

If the signature is verified and that was written on the book as well, then yes, I imagine it would be notated as something like "Signed by Stan Lee. 'so-and-so' written on the cover." I know on signed and numbered books, the edition numbering will be added to the label if the signatures are verified, and I don't know if they still do it now, or if it is dependent on space, but at least on ASP books I have where the signatures were commented, that would be included on the label as well

Post 12 IP   flag post
I showed my wife and she was so happy for me she started to cry. Batman66 private msg quote post Address this user

when they verified the signature of Stan Lee and Alex Schomburg it wasn't noted on the label excelsior just his signature. Showing how I keep the pictures of the signatures with the book
Post 13 IP   flag post
@Bobashek the Kirby signature looks legit to me
Post 14 IP   flag post
Have I told you about the time I dropped off 3,000 comics at SDCC? Scifinator private msg quote post Address this user
@Bobashek - I could be wrong, bit I think that was part of the production print.
Post 15 IP   flag post
Have I told you about the time I dropped off 3,000 comics at SDCC? Scifinator private msg quote post Address this user
@goalcam - if it were me, I would definitely VSP. But, make sure you keep photos for your own record. I made the mistake of not doing so with my Marvel Fanfare #1 w/ Michael Golden autograph.
Post 16 IP   flag post
Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scifinator
@Bobashek - I could be wrong, bit I think that was part of the production print.

not sure - I only found 1 on ebay with interior pics but there was no signature!
Post 17 IP   flag post
Quote:

That would be a bummer.
Post 18 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatKomics
Quote:

not sure - I only found 1 on ebay with interior pics but there was no signature!

Here's hoping!
Post 19 IP   flag post
Here is a picture without the signature so there is hope.

Post 20 IP   flag post
Collector Darkseid_of_town private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobashek
I should say that I HOPE this is an actual signature and not something printed in the comic. It came that way when I bought a collection.

You might find this article interesting.....notice the image of him signing the copy in the picture.....he is signing the book precisely where yours appears to have the signature as well, rather than the first page as he often did.To me that is suggestive at least.......

My only confirmed Kirby signature to compare..

https://archivesusie3d.wixsite.com/3-dlegends/jack-kirby

Post 21 IP   flag post
601352 21 21
This topic is archived. Start new topic?