Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

Canadian turn around time15195

Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brockstar84
Anyone know after they say ship to Canada how long it takes? Does it go to Ontario then ship? Do you typically receive a tracking number?

my last order was 'ship to Canada' for 14 weeks??
Yes - it does ship to Oakville then to you, so you won't get a tracking # or ship notification until that final ship.

I think I actually had my books before I was notified about the final ship!
Post 51 IP   flag post
Collector j_nocera private msg quote post Address this user
Oh great. My books will get to collect dust for months in Oakville again until Steve decides to meander over the border someday and send them.
Post 52 IP   flag post
Collector rgreenson private msg quote post Address this user
My January Order has been in ship to Canada for 13 weeks and counting. My February order has been in "Labels" since about mid June.

So.....we wait....
Post 53 IP   flag post
Collector Silverado private msg quote post Address this user
That BB60 is a very cool looking book!

A few questions for the Canucks.

1) If you have shipped directly to Dallas, is it easier dealing with UPS or Fedex or CanadaPost?

2) Related to #1, for the customs forms I assume we can state that these are documents with no commercial value? If you throw on $3000 in insurance coverage does that then undermine that case? Sheesh. I am not even sure what I am asking at this point as the online shipping form wasn't very clear about what to do with your own property.

3) Has anyone tried using the US form for Canadian (Oakville) submission? I want to grade screen a few books and the Canadian form won't allow it. Did the switching forms strategy work? If so, CBCS ships back direct rather than through the Canadian office?

4) Not really important but after reading the above on taxes and duties, shouldn't we have to pay taxes on the cost of slabbing, pressing etc.? Both of those are good and services and it would seem they are taxable. Or no?

Thanks for the help.
Post 54 IP   flag post
Collector Huntergreene2 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverado

1) If you have shipped directly to Dallas, is it easier dealing with UPS or Fedex or CanadaPost?

2) Related to #1, for the customs forms I assume we can state that these are documents with no commercial value? If you throw on $3000 in insurance coverage does that then undermine that case? Sheesh. I am not even sure what I am asking at this point as the online shipping form wasn't very clear about what to do with your own property.

3) Has anyone tried using the US form for Canadian (Oakville) submission? I want to grade screen a few books and the Canadian form won't allow it. Did the switching forms strategy work? If so, CBCS ships back direct rather than through the Canadian office?

4) Not really important but after reading the above on taxes and duties, shouldn't we have to pay taxes on the cost of slabbing, pressing etc.? Both of those are good and services and it would seem they are taxable. Or no?

Thanks for the help.

I signed up for Netparcel through Paypal. That gets me sweet UPS prices, 10 books is usually <$20 to ship to Dallas. When you use Netparcel the customs form is part of buying the label. I always state the purpose as other/evaluation.

Don't bother adding extra insurance, UPS insurance doesn't cover used items or collectables. Talk to your insurance broker to see if your home insurance could cover it or look into collectable specific insurance.

Usually the only charge you see when the books come back is $25 for customs brokerage payable to FedEx. You usually can get that waived if you try hard enough.
Post 55 IP   flag post

Collector Silverado private msg quote post Address this user
Thanks Huntergreene2! Wasn't aware of the limitations in coverage either. I appreciate the tip.
Post 56 IP   flag post
I love the excitement I feel when I look at my emails and see that a new email is from "CBCS Comics" thinking that one of my orders will be home soon....only to have it all come crashing down seconds later when I realize it's just a signing event email.

Stop playing with my emotions Please.

...anyway...still waiting.

Post 57 IP   flag post
Well my fellow Canucks I just got my January order back. So if you've been in Ship to Canada for a while you might get your books soon.

Check the "Stuff you got back" Thread for pictures of what I got.
Post 58 IP   flag post
Collector Huntergreene2 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgreenson
Well my fellow Canucks I just got my January order back. So if you've been in Ship to Canada for a while you might get your books soon.

Check the "Stuff you got back" Thread for pictures of what I got.

Just read your post and found my shipment waiting at reception.
Post 59 IP   flag post
Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverado

Thanks for the help.

1) I just used FedEx since Canada Post you end up loosing visibility to tracking (or at least I did when I used it looooong ago)

2) With FedEx I think the max was 2k?? - did worry me but what can you do!?

3) Yes - I've used the US form and then sent the books to Oakville (cheaper shipping option) and then yes they returned straight from Dallas back to me

4) We do pay tax on the slabbing, pressing etc. - we pay whatever the sales tax is from CBCS - no duty though - we have not brought a 'good' into Canada.

I liken it to a car...you drive over and have your car detailed - no duty or anything - you paid the applicable tax on the service to the service provider - you have now driven the same car but looking better back home.
You have that same car restored!! new paint job, dents fixed, new tires etc.etc. - that car is now worth more $$ because of the work (the car has been altered from it's original state) and legally you owe the tax on the new assessed value - not just the net increase in value

So how does this translate to comics? Get a comic cleaned/pressed - industry says this is not restoration - part of appraisal is to slab it to ensure the appraised grade is maintained - all this means no tax
Have that same book restored!! now your Action Comics #1 in 1.0 is a 5.0 - you owe the tax on whatever the value of a 5.0 is rather than the difference in value of a 1.0 to a 5.0!!

Somewhere I have the actual excerpts from the tax code from a few years back - we are all good! clean/press and grade/appraisal = no tax...restoration = tax!
Post 60 IP   flag post
Collector Caffeine_Kid private msg quote post Address this user
Thanks for the great explanation @KatKomics.Good to know.
Post 61 IP   flag post
601281 61 11
This topic is archived. Start new topic?