Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

Canadian turn around time15195

Collector Silversorrow private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatKomics
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgreenson
Hello fellow Canucks,

Any one have any updates? I'm just curious to see how everyone's orders have progressed?

My current states are below. Nothing changed for me just higher numbers. I sent Darryl a message to take a look. With the border now open (Fingers crossed Steve P is fully vaccinated) hopefully the Ship to Canada timeline shrinks.

sorry..no updates.....

I have Feb, March, April and May orders in....the Feb on has been in labels/grading for like a month?? - March and April - no movement.

May.....F@$king May order!!....not even acknowledged as received - my tracking says it was delivered to Oakville May 12 - over 3 months ago!!!
Ah, looks like mine isn't the only one. Mine was delivered within a few days of yours (your May 12th order) and I am in the same boat. In fact Steve Ricketts just replied to my update request and said that my order doesn't even show in the system yet.....This being my first order ever makes me EXTREMELY nervous....
Post 26 IP   flag post
Collector j_nocera private msg quote post Address this user
I am right there with you guys. My order was May 16 and it still just says "submitted". Not even an acknowledgement of receipt. I talked with customer service several times and that was useless. I emailed Daryl and never got a response. I don't like having to trust that my books, worth several thousand dollars, are "out there, somewhere". I don't mind the wait....it's the lack (i.e., total absence) of communication. Lousy business practice IMO, busy or not.
Post 27 IP   flag post
Collector Brockstar84 private msg quote post Address this user
@j_nocera obviously they were very misleading with their Canadian submissions. I would have just sent directly to them in Texas had I know this was the shit show that would ensue. As such I have obviously gone back to CGC and will remain there, just wanted to try the competition out lol failed experiment.
Post 28 IP   flag post
Collector Chewy private msg quote post Address this user
It's at least a little comforting knowing others in the same boat. my submission arrived in Oakville on May 28. the fact that it still only says submitted has me worried just based on Canada Post's track record.
Post 29 IP   flag post
Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
I'm not worried...just frustrated!

I've had it take 8 or 10 weeks before the books showed as received..I have my tracking and an email from the CBCS Canada rep so I have pretty good comfort that my books are in hand - just not updated in the system.

This whole border closure has been a shit show - have a few books I should send but will go through CBCS Dallas rather than CBCS Canada for most orders going forward until things get back to "normal"

For PC books I'll still go the CBCS Canada route even if I mail direct to CBCS Dallas I can have them returned as CBCS Canada (just use the Canada forms) and I've been choosing in person pickup to save on shipping - will be interesting to see how/if that works when my books are ready.

Books for sale I'll do CBCS Dallas with in person pick up from MCS - even the order I want to send I might keep 2 of the 5 books but I can just get MCS to ship them back - who knows though...maybe I'll want the $$$ more and actually sell the extra copies too!!
Post 30 IP   flag post

It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brockstar84
@j_nocera obviously they were very misleading with their Canadian submissions. I would have just sent directly to them in Texas had I know this was the shit show that would ensue. As such I have obviously gone back to CGC and will remain there, just wanted to try the competition out lol failed experiment.

what are you talking about? CGC TATs are just as long....probably longer.
Post 31 IP   flag post
Collector KYDU private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxbladder
The charges that you get aren't so much brokerage fees as they are taxes. It is assumed that the books were purchased from a US source and the government wants their tax cut. The forms that some fill out are not legally supposed to be applied to comics but some customs workers allow it. It used to be that only if the item exceed about $100 CAD that they would consider applying charges but this has changed as the number of online sales has increased. If people wanted the potential charges to disappear it would be only by pressuring MPs to consider changing the exemption laws as to what crosses the border as requiring service in the US but are owned by a Canadian citizen. The form which some use has a very small list of items that show just how out of date these exemption laws are. The Canadian outlet can by-pass these charges because it is an American owned company moving their product between their own facilities.

No you’re mistaken, it’s a self made up brokerage fee. They charge the taxes as well it’s clearly broken down on the invoice. No one expects to not pay taxes, that’s unavoidable.

The problem is they make up a brokerage charge, don’t tell the sender. When you receive the package they don’t tell you about it they send you an invoice afterwards in the mail.(Probably because people would refuse the package or assaulted the driver in the past). Even though they have already been paid for delivery by the sender.

Then if you don’t pay they get a collection agency after you. It’s a total mob style shakedown in my opinion. Most people pay of course.

Also it’s not new I’ve had these issues almost 20 years ago doing a large volume of online sales. They will take it off but you have to assert yourself with them on the phone. I never use Fedex because of this.
Post 32 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by KYDU
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxbladder
The charges that you get aren't so much brokerage fees as they are taxes. It is assumed that the books were purchased from a US source and the government wants their tax cut. The forms that some fill out are not legally supposed to be applied to comics but some customs workers allow it. It used to be that only if the item exceed about $100 CAD that they would consider applying charges but this has changed as the number of online sales has increased. If people wanted the potential charges to disappear it would be only by pressuring MPs to consider changing the exemption laws as to what crosses the border as requiring service in the US but are owned by a Canadian citizen. The form which some use has a very small list of items that show just how out of date these exemption laws are. The Canadian outlet can by-pass these charges because it is an American owned company moving their product between their own facilities.

No you’re mistaken, it’s a self made up brokerage fee. They charge the taxes as well it’s clearly broken down on the invoice. No one expects to not pay taxes, that’s unavoidable.

The problem is they make up a brokerage charge, don’t tell the sender. When you receive the package they don’t tell you about it they send you an invoice afterwards in the mail.(Probably because people would refuse the package or assaulted the driver in the past). Even though they have already been paid for delivery by the sender.

Then if you don’t pay they get a collection agency after you. It’s a total mob style shakedown in my opinion. Most people pay of course.

Also it’s not new I’ve had these issues almost 20 years ago doing a large volume of online sales. They will take it off but you have to assert yourself with them on the phone. I never use Fedex because of this.

^^^^^^

what he said - the brokerage is a shakedown from FedEx - I've always gotten it lifted

also...as far as taxes - we should not have to pay any - these are your own books coming back after appraisal.
Technically though...if you have restoration work done then you owe the tax on the total new FMV (not the difference from pre restoration to restoration - just an FYI) oh..press and clean does not fall into restoration - all clear on that front!

For me the Canadian service is cheaper - plain and simple - if the US was cheaper I would go that route and fight FedEx each time (or more likely us my US post box when the border opens again to avoid the brokerage and just drive the books back myself and deal with the customs agent - easy peasy!)
Post 33 IP   flag post
@Chewy Don't worry mine was received and billed May.5 and still isn't showing received lol or maybe we should both be worried.
Post 34 IP   flag post
Collector xtraplayer private msg quote post Address this user
I'm on week 24 from when CBCS marked books as received. I should have sent them to USA office instead of Canada.
Post 35 IP   flag post
Maybe they use coureur des bois to take our books down?

Would explain a lot - all by canoe, the occasional portage - they need to keep trading on their way down and stop frequently to get or forage for supplies from the wilderness
Post 36 IP   flag post
Well big news, today a few days shy of 18 weeks I finally received an email acknowledging that they have charged me and in fact have received my comics lol. Finally some progress.
Post 37 IP   flag post
Collector rgreenson private msg quote post Address this user
Still waiting...12 weeks in ship to Canada status.

Post 38 IP   flag post
Collector Huntergreene2 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgreenson
Still waiting...12 weeks in ship to Canada status.

I have a feeling you and I will receive our books at the same time. My books went in for Holiday2020
Post 39 IP   flag post
just glad my May order is finally showing as received.

Can't remember - maybe it was my April order that I have as pick up in Oakville - we'll see how/if that works when the time comes (2022?)
Post 40 IP   flag post
@rgreenson At 18 weeks I finally showed received, four days later I received an email that my comics were graded and off to get slabbed. Nothing since then but finally progress.
Post 41 IP   flag post
I AM... THE Bat-Manuel MurrayC private msg quote post Address this user
My February order has been with CBCS for 23 weeks now, and is still in "grading"
Post 42 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MurrayC
My February order has been with CBCS for 23 weeks now, and is still in "grading"

same here - had to look - almost forgot what was on the Feb Order!!

Turns out just a bunch of silver age drek

Showcase 55 (signed by Murphy Anderson!!)
Showcase 59
Showcase 75
Sub-Mariner 5
Teen Titans 1
Plastic Man 4 (double cover)
Post 43 IP   flag post
Quote:

same here - had to look - almost forgot what was on the Feb Order!!

Turns out just a bunch of silver age drek

Showcase 55 (signed by Murphy Anderson!!)
Showcase 59
Showcase 75
Sub-Mariner 5
Teen Titans 1
Plastic Man 4 (double cover)

What are you hoping to get on that Teen Titans?
Post 44 IP   flag post
@MurrayC needs the press but was hoping for 8.0?? I'll probably sell with hopes of an upgrade - might upgrade my last BB54 too

Have 2 or 3 more TT 1's lying around but they are from 3 to 6??

have too many Teen Titans!! 2 each of these - 5,6,7,11,17,18,19,22,24,48 , 3 of #2 and 9 and 4 of #8??(why??)

At "some point" I'll figure which are the better copies and sell the extras - some are just reader copies
Post 45 IP   flag post
Big news! Mine now says ship to Canada. Tuesday will be 19 weeks. Hope that helps some of my fellow canuckle heads
Post 46 IP   flag post
Quote:
@MurrayC needs the press but was hoping for 8.0?? I'll probably sell with hopes of an upgrade - might upgrade my last BB54 too

Both my BB 54 and TT 1 are in the 4.0 to 5.0 range.
Post 47 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MurrayC
Quote:

Both my BB 54 and TT 1 are in the 4.0 to 5.0 range.

Think I have one BB54 left maybe 5.0?? (haven't seen it in years!!) sold my 6.5 and 7.0 this year but hanging onto my 7.5

My BB 60 came back waaaaaayyy higher than I thought!! - was only a $60 book to match the issue #(so the price sticker on the bag said when I sent it in!)
1st Wonder Girl!! and 1st time called "Teen Titans"

Post 48 IP   flag post
Back on topic...think I've been in "labels" now for over a month!!!
Post 49 IP   flag post
Anyone know after they say ship to Canada how long it takes? Does it go to Ontario then ship? Do you typically receive a tracking number?
Post 50 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brockstar84
Anyone know after they say ship to Canada how long it takes? Does it go to Ontario then ship? Do you typically receive a tracking number?

my last order was 'ship to Canada' for 14 weeks??
Yes - it does ship to Oakville then to you, so you won't get a tracking # or ship notification until that final ship.

I think I actually had my books before I was notified about the final ship!
Post 51 IP   flag post
Collector j_nocera private msg quote post Address this user
Oh great. My books will get to collect dust for months in Oakville again until Steve decides to meander over the border someday and send them.
Post 52 IP   flag post
Collector rgreenson private msg quote post Address this user
My January Order has been in ship to Canada for 13 weeks and counting. My February order has been in "Labels" since about mid June.

So.....we wait....
Post 53 IP   flag post
Collector Silverado private msg quote post Address this user
That BB60 is a very cool looking book!

A few questions for the Canucks.

1) If you have shipped directly to Dallas, is it easier dealing with UPS or Fedex or CanadaPost?

2) Related to #1, for the customs forms I assume we can state that these are documents with no commercial value? If you throw on $3000 in insurance coverage does that then undermine that case? Sheesh. I am not even sure what I am asking at this point as the online shipping form wasn't very clear about what to do with your own property.

3) Has anyone tried using the US form for Canadian (Oakville) submission? I want to grade screen a few books and the Canadian form won't allow it. Did the switching forms strategy work? If so, CBCS ships back direct rather than through the Canadian office?

4) Not really important but after reading the above on taxes and duties, shouldn't we have to pay taxes on the cost of slabbing, pressing etc.? Both of those are good and services and it would seem they are taxable. Or no?

Thanks for the help.
Post 54 IP   flag post
Collector Huntergreene2 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverado
That BB60 is a very cool looking book!

A few questions for the Canucks.

1) If you have shipped directly to Dallas, is it easier dealing with UPS or Fedex or CanadaPost?

2) Related to #1, for the customs forms I assume we can state that these are documents with no commercial value? If you throw on $3000 in insurance coverage does that then undermine that case? Sheesh. I am not even sure what I am asking at this point as the online shipping form wasn't very clear about what to do with your own property.

3) Has anyone tried using the US form for Canadian (Oakville) submission? I want to grade screen a few books and the Canadian form won't allow it. Did the switching forms strategy work? If so, CBCS ships back direct rather than through the Canadian office?

4) Not really important but after reading the above on taxes and duties, shouldn't we have to pay taxes on the cost of slabbing, pressing etc.? Both of those are good and services and it would seem they are taxable. Or no?

Thanks for the help.

I signed up for Netparcel through Paypal. That gets me sweet UPS prices, 10 books is usually <$20 to ship to Dallas. When you use Netparcel the customs form is part of buying the label. I always state the purpose as other/evaluation.

Don't bother adding extra insurance, UPS insurance doesn't cover used items or collectables. Talk to your insurance broker to see if your home insurance could cover it or look into collectable specific insurance.

Usually the only charge you see when the books come back is $25 for customs brokerage payable to FedEx. You usually can get that waived if you try hard enough.
Post 55 IP   flag post
598071 61 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?